Deadcember 2019

dizbuster

One of the pleasures in life is keeping up with the hobby work of Rab over on the Geekly Digest blog. His blog had not been updated for a while and I located him on Instagram so I duly messaged him about this years Deadcember. Rab replied and explained that due to work and study he is unable to coordinate this year and offered the role with his blessing.

Hmmmm ..... well lets give it ago shall we.

The rules are as follows
On the first of December the premier annual "paint a dead/undead minature" competition will begin!
I'll start an album on blogger of the entries as they come in (once I figure out how to), for users to see and on this thread.
What you need to know if you want to enter:
1. This is a painting challenge for 28mm "scale" miniatures painted during December 2017
1. The theme this year is (un)dead, meaning casualty figures are as welcome as the usual undead monsters and creatures
1. An entry can either be a single model, or a group - there is no advantage or disadvantage inherent to either choice
1. Email a photo of your miniature(s) before painting, and no more than two of the finished item, against a plain background so your painting really shines. Send your pictures to deadcember.entries@gmail.com/url] e...ly looking forward to what everyone produces!

Plaiecivile

May I suggest a more democratic judging process, which would also allow you to participate, by using the voting module on the forum and make it a quick 1 week vote?

dizbuster

Deadcember is live please feel free to email your entries. Plaiecivile, I have only just seen your post, this year I will just copy the existing format but I will take your suggestion and try and figure out the pros and cons of that approach.

Painting for Deadcember for my own satisfaction. If there's any kind of judging, so be it. But I'm aiming more for quantity vs. quality. ;)

Started strong, then stalled a bit due to unexpected career obligations. It's about a 50/50 mix of Oldhammer and newer figures. My opinion is that it's hard for bare skeletons (monsters included) not to fit in with older figures. And I think the Reaper wraiths have a pretty classic feel as well. (Though I am replacing their bendy Bones weapons.)

IMG_20191205_234336_586.jpg

The remainder of my Deadcember plans. A bit optimistic since I've unexpectedly had to travel for work again. :roll:

IMG_20191207_170648_197.jpg

Two dragons, undead Lemmy, 25 armored skeleton spear, and as many cavalry as I can repair & paint by the end of the year.

Fimm McCool":3tqgchn3 said:
Good job bone is quick to paint! :grin:

That's the only reason my goals can be so ambitious! The armoured skeletons will be a little more tricky with all the equipment, but still easier than a typical living regiment of troops! :grin:

Golgfag1

Hi All,

I spotted this miniature a few years ago at Salute, picked it up off e-bay about two years ago and now have a reason to paint it. So, to take a break from painting Empire and enter into the spirit of the season, here goes nothing

Watch this space.

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• deadcember1.jpg
    deadcember1.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 2,043

Golgfag1

Fimm McCool":14qg20s2 said:
Death and Taxxis? Classic Kev mini. :)

I'll take your word on it. Here's my first progress shot - a bloody mess!

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• deadember2.jpg
    deadember2.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 2,024

EricF

Administrator
Well for Deadcember I managed to get some skeletons and ghosts painted. The ghosts are from Titan Forge and the skeletons are old War-games Factory models. In total I've managed to do 60 skeletons, but couldn't face ranking them all up, so here is a small sample of the spearmen. Alas I only had my basic camera to hand, depth of field not being its strong point...

skeletons.jpg

ghosts.jpg

Big boney dragon done. The gravestone is on a magnetized 20mm base, and can be removed and replaced with other figures... Like the Undead Lenny I'm working on next.

IMG_20191225_193513.jpg

Just finished Undead Lemmy from Diehard Miniatures. Difficult miniatuere to photograph since I mostly painted him with a variety (hues?) of black.

IMG_20191228_203040_20191228210837529%2B%25281%2529.jpg

And here he is with And here he is in the magnetized spot with the dragon. I'll need to come up with a name for the dragon... likely lift one from a song lyric of title! (Not a great photo either, got a mix of light temperatures and couldn't correct it in my photo app...)

IMG_20191228_203215%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Back