Rogue Trader: Space dwarf hoverboarders squat power-boarders

Saragarhi

Having been exiled to deepest darkest Borneo for a year, my opportunities for miniature gaming were limited. Fortunately a stash of miniatures and painting supplies in my suitcase enabled me to devote some hobby time to Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader. The result...

...squat power-boarders!

32754873186_896707f825_c.jpg

DSC_0064Crop by Saragarhi, on Flickr

Cheers,
Andy

Saragarhi

Re: Rogue Trader Squat (Space Dwarf) Power (Hover) Boarders

And a work in progress shot, showing the construction method:

31952131764_dda0f23269_b.jpg

DSC_0567Crop by Saragarhi, on Flickr

The majority of the squad are metal miniatures, courtesy of Black Tree Design, with a couple of veteran plastic squat heavy bolter miniatures from the Citadel/ Games Workshop space dwarf plastic boxed set.

Construction involved a mixture of brass wire, slotta bases, plastic polystyrene strips and tubing.
As I intend to game with these one day, for additional strength the metal miniatures retain their slotta tabs, a corresponding groove being cut in the deck of the power-board, the slot being concealed at the rear by the tubing.
The brass wire support ends in the slotta base engine unit, entering through a hole drilled near the main thrusters.

The whole thing was quite a pain to assemble, including as it did polystyrene cement and a rather runny epoxy that had the consistency of water for about half an hour, leaking everywhere and then suddenly curing in a matter of minutes, but somehow never having much holding power! Anyway, it worked out well in the end!

By the way, is there a prize for farthest flung forum member? :)

Orjetax

Re: PHOTO PROBLEM CHECK BACK LATER Squat Power Boarders

This sounds great.
The pictures seem to not be displaying however.
Can't wait to see your work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saragarhi

Re: Rogue Trader: Space dwarf hoverboarders squat power-boar

The photo posting problem should be fixed now. Flickr seems to be much easier than my attempts to wrestle with Dropbox!

Cheers,
Andy

symphonicpoet

Skating, smoking, and shooting; all at the same time. Now that sounds like a really brill idea right there! :) (Only dwarves.) That's a heck of a thing going on. And I love the bamboo pins. Very well done. :)

Re: Rogue Trader Squat (Space Dwarf) Power (Hover) Boarders

Saragarhi":693idlww said:
By the way, is there a prize for farthest flung forum member? :)

I'm not sure, but your pretty much the closest Oldhammerer to me there is :grin:

Orjetax

These look great. I'm not familiar with the Black Tree space dwarves, what's your impression of those models?

All of this raises the question - what do you do in Borneo besides creating squats on power boards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

symphonicpoet

I think the prize for being a far flung oldhammerer, sadly, is paying a lot for tickets to get to oldhammer events. If you're close to Mr. P I guess your ticket is even worse than mine, but . . . I feel your pain, sir. I do. The middle west of the United States is not the hotbed of oldhammering. (Or anything, really. We're just not trendy here abouts. It's a good place, really, but . . . people seem to prefer it from 30,000 feet. Or is that oldflyover 30K?)

Saragarhi

Thanks for the positive reception everyone!

I've found Black Tree Design to be excellent value with nice clean castings at a great price. With some patience, or an advance email to check stock levels I've always had good experiences with my orders. These particular miniatures had some bulky looking silencers/flash suppressors/casting vents on the gun barrels, but they were easily removed.

Actually I was just in Borneo for a year, working at a University. An interesting experience to look back on. Now I'm back in more gamer friendly surroundings.

After that taster, here's some more shots...

A full group shot (I assembled 11 of the things!). Alongside a repainted Star Wars toy.

31997701583_2560f9307e_b.jpg
DSC_0078Crop by Saragarhi, on Flickr

Combined arms operations. The Rhino variant (Thudd Gun Support Limber and Long Range Targeting) was a result of salvaging a poorly assembled and much abused wreck found in a neglected corner of a hobby shop.

32658557122_4b7e7a762a_b.jpg
DSC_0066Crop by Saragarhi, on Flickr

Riding into action with the Slam Sector Defence Force!

32771284496_59fd074256_b.jpg
DSC_0675Crop by Saragarhi, on Flickr

More to come (in another thread) soon!

Cheers,
Andy

Squats on powerboards are one of those units that I always wanted to make, right from the day I realised it was possible (about 1989). Top work, they look great! Can we play some rogue trader with them?

Back