Reign of the Lichemaster!- One board to go, page 4

Sysyphos

Re: Reign of the Lichemaster!- Terrain started.

Looks very, very promising!!! Please keep on posting pictures !!!

Tramp

Re: Reign of the Lichemaster!

Tramp":1ph13ejg said:
Fimm McCool":1ph13ejg said:
I am attempting to get all the units painted to a basic level before the holidays begin so I can dabble in detail as I like over Christmas. Good start has been made as we head into deadcember:

IMG_1840.JPG

I love the weapons and armour, they are just how an undead army's metal work should be (in my opinion) and the splash of colour is great it really ties the unit together.

Sorry to keep going on about this unit, but how did you paint the rust on the armour and weapons? Any specific techniques you used? I really like the corrosion and how it looks textured,

Fimm McCool

It's modelmates' rust effect paint. Cheating I know, but gives a nice effect!

Fimm McCool":1u4jzdpv said:
The students have gone home, so time to get going on making the terrain for these guys. An 8x4 board representing the valley of the Frugelhorn and featuring all the key locations (not totally to scale of course!). The board is modular so can be reconfigured to better represent each location.

That's most of the styrene carving done, it will be relocated to the house tomorrow where I can work on a module at a time. Hopefully the next 2 weeks should see this develop. :)

confused0053_zps5740044e.gif

OK, I love all the work you've done so far, but am I understanding correctly that these terrain tiles will not only be a big 3d campaign map, but will be shuffled around for use in each of the battles? Because that's just amazing. Great work. Based on your other terrain, I'm really looking forward to this. I'm a big fan of the Lichemaster, too -- even if I have never been able to play the campaign(s) myself. A man can dream... and/or drool over the work of others, in this case.

Fimm McCool

Yup. It's got all the key locations (including the glacier where Krell's tomb is located) so you can put together a 4x4 (or bigger if you prefer) board for each scenario. The village will be separate buildings and there'll be some tree stands but the bridges and some clumps of trees will be permanent features.

Zhu Bajie

Fimm McCool":2ubabpp9 said:
Frugelhorn and featuring all the key locations (not totally to scale of course!).

Oh I don't know, looks like a stunning opportunity to recreate it all over again in 6/10mm!

Great stuff.

Fimm McCool

Re: Reign of the Lichemaster!- First 4x4 board page 3

Managed to get about half the boards done over Christmas. There are a few bits to touch up/finish on them but they're done enough to game on.

15844638_10154722635762279_6319365949793119320_o.jpg

15875488_10154722635912279_8278668528056472488_o.jpg

15874968_10154722636357279_950559319217694680_o.jpg

More pics coming up soon on the blog.

Dieselhorst

It's modelmates' rust effect paint. Cheating I know, but gives a nice effect

Man, that's not cheating. It's not the material that matters, it's the effect. And that's definitely one nice effect!

symphonicpoet

Talk about frosty graves . . . that board is the bomb right there. Truly splendid stuff. I love your snow effect.

That winter terrain is fantastic! I especially like the ice effect and that little bridge across the ravine (or whatever it's called in English :) ).

snorri

Re: Reign of the Lichemaster!- Dwarf mine page 4

Wonderful job, very inspiring! I hope mine will be half as nice as that :grin:

Fimm McCool

Re: Reign of the Lichemaster!- Dwarf mine page 4

Board is almost there. Just the glacier board to get to the same stage and then I can start adding the powdery snow, details, doing something about the ropeyness of the cheap Chinese pine trees...

Lock gates (leaky ones!) and chute for the dwarf mine. Still got tracks to add and the barrel store to set up for all those highly explosive kegs of gunpowder (or Bugman's XXX!).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 2,590
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 2,590

Naagruz

Truly exceptional! You have done a great job of capturing the feel of the icy North & the board is fun to just gawk at. The undead concept is ace too!
What did you use for the water? If it's Woodland's Realistic Water, you must have mixed up quite a bit.

Fimm McCool

The only product I've used which is billed as specifically for scenery is Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow... and actually I haven't used that yet. I buy my materials from a combination of pound shops and the suppliers I normally use for my propmaking work. The water is a painted base, then about a 5mm deep pour of Easy Composites Glasscast, pigmented with a drop of their translucent blue and green pgiments. For the deep pool I actually used 2 drops of each pigment, then poured a lighter pigmented layer on top after it had cured to give the illusion of depth. The surface 'texture' is Mod Podge gloss and the more pronounced rippling is created using clear silicone caulking with white silicone caulking dabbed on to make 'crests'. I've also experimented with using Envirotex resin for water, but the Glasscast cheaper, cures faster, contains a degassing component (which eliminates the need to breath over the resin to burst bubbles) and is almost completely odourless- so it definitely gets my vote.

Fimm McCool

The latest event I attended as Oakbound Studios gave me an excuse to finish the table off:

Setup for a game of The Woods (my Celtic fantasy RPG) it is nevertheless in the full Frugelhorn pass configuration. Here are some close-ups (buildings by Fogou Models):

Back