Reign of the Lichemaster!- One board to go, page 4

Fimm McCool

I'll be blogging more thoroughly about this in due course, but since I have just finished the first figure for the army (a Marauder Liche complements of Mr Harry, thanks Harry!) I thought I should start the thread and announce my intentions...

14721747_10154472707927279_2599682412292559989_n.jpg

Citadel+Journal+Spring+86+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

As we all know, Heinrich Kemler was victorious at the battle of La Maisontaal. The vile ratmen were routed and the abbey raised to the ground. The former monastery is now a fortress of the unquiet dead and in the catacombs below the Lichemaster hatches his plots against the rest of humanity. Resting high up in the Grey Mountains the abbey is highly defensible, especially with its guard of horrifying apparitions!

Sadly Gnawdoom escaped the battle of La Maisontaal with the warpstone key and so the black arc remains shut tight. Kemler unearthed the arc in his exploration of the catacombs of the monastery, recognising it as an object of great power, but all his attempts to open it have been thwarted. It now resides inside a great coffin the Lichemaster's army drag along with them, the bones of countless Skaven packed in tight around it. Kemler calls this the 'Ossuary of La Maisontaal'.

The monks of La Maisontaal have, of course, been granted resurrection, into the Lichemaster's host. Bagrian the hierophant leads the remnants of his brothers as they dance to Kemler's foul corpse music. He is joined by the 16 prior masters of the monastery including Rene de Muscadet (whose epitaph must surely read "I told you so") and Jean Louis Dintrans whose attempt to slay Kemler has earned him a place in the front rank.

So that's the plan. Create an army based around Kemler and how his mighty army of undeath would look having successfully destroyed La Maisontaal and been able to rise to full strength. I now have a sizable force of skeletons to work with (more in due course) and have split them into representative groups portraying Kemler's fallen foes. Next thing to work on is creating skeletal versions of the inhabitants of Frugelhofen, Bogel's Farm and the dwarf mine...

Re: Reign of the Lichemaster!

What a fantastic idea for an army. I'm glad to hear that the Lichemaster lives on!

The miniature you've chosen for Bagrian is pitch perfect! (I really like the way you put names on the bases. That's a cool touch.)

I'm hoping to paint all the minis for Revenge of the Lichemaster, but I haven't finished yet. Currently, I'm working on the Lichemaster scenario itself:

http://www.oldenhammer.com/2016/10/terror-of-lichemaster-heinrich-kemler.html

In any case, I'll be following your future progress with great interest!

Fimm McCool

Cheers guys. I've just done sorting my skellies into units, so expect painting soon.
matthewjksullivan":2yv8p1yx said:
I'm hoping to paint all the minis for Revenge of the Lichemaster, but I haven't finished yet. Currently, I'm working on the Lichemaster scenario itself:

http://www.oldenhammer.com/2016/10/terror-of-lichemaster-heinrich-kemler.html

I have been reading with interest whilst researching this project. Both yours and Nico's lichemaster collections have been quite the inspiration!

Grumdril

A brilliant army concept and lovely work on Bagrain.

I take it you're have a conversion planned for your Kemler miniature - he looks a bit wholesome at the moment! :)

For the dwarf mine, are you aware of Fenryll's skeletal dwarves? - http://fenryll.com/product.php?id_product=446. They're resin I think, but I'm not sure whether that'll bother you or not.

Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Paul B / Grumdril

Fimm McCool

Nope, that's Kemler as is. Don't worry, he'll be pale and quite insane! I'm actually working on some dwarf conversions right now that I'm pleased with, but I have a fine Fenryll undead chariot to put to use. Lots of flash to clean off but there's a nicely detailed model under there! :)

Also, I just noticed that the Vengeance of the Lichemaster painting appears in wfb3 titled "Bagrian's Last Stand". Never noticed that before.

Fimm McCool

I am attempting to get all the units painted to a basic level before the holidays begin so I can dabble in detail as I like over Christmas. Good start has been made as we head into deadcember:

IMG_1833.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

More details on the blog.

Tramp

Fimm McCool":t4iew3yh said:
I am attempting to get all the units painted to a basic level before the holidays begin so I can dabble in detail as I like over Christmas. Good start has been made as we head into deadcember:

IMG_1840.JPG

I love the weapons and armour, they are just how an undead army's metal work should be (in my opinion) and the splash of colour is great it really ties the unit together.

Fimm McCool

inchmurrin":2ug2yepk said:
Love the jade colour, copper armour with oxidised patina?

Thanks. They could well be. They're the Blue-Blooded Bandits from WFRP Lichemaster so they have to be vaguely Nurgley (but not too overtly), probably ex-Bretonnian gentry who took to robbery out of boredom, suitably icy considering their frozen burial and fitting with their leader, Zwemmer, who is based on the cover of the D&D adventure Haunted Tower.

Fimm McCool

I didn't have a lot of time last week, or the week before, so rather than tackle another unit I turned my attentions to the wonderful Tom Meier Zombie Dragon. So glad this guy is still available from RPE. Here's the classic Blanche illustration I was working from:
15403672_10154640839512279_3589938453180075782_o.jpg

And here's the completed beast (sans base):
15390794_10154640832107279_48156786510675179_n.jpg

15492437_10154640832177279_6300514788214771815_n.jpg

15541126_10154640832267279_2059787052266537716_n.jpg

I've also painted up my Mikael Jacsen proxy as inspired by others who have green-stuffed flames onto a skeleton!
15418592_10154640832377279_7343028957869050605_o.jpg

Also, if anyone is thinking of using rust effects as in the skelly unit above, do so AFTER glazing! I put my normal lacquer on the unit at the weekend and all the rust disappeared! That'll be a task for this week then, reapply rust!

Fimm McCool

Re: Reign of the Lichemaster!- Terrain started.

The students have gone home, so time to get going on making the terrain for these guys. An 8x4 board representing the valley of the Frugelhorn and featuring all the key locations (not totally to scale of course!). The board is modular so can be reconfigured to better represent each location.

That's most of the styrene carving done, it will be relocated to the house tomorrow where I can work on a module at a time. Hopefully the next 2 weeks should see this develop. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20161215_1448453.jpg
    IMG_20161215_1448453.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 1,999
Back