Selkies Growing Greenskin Gathering (lots of pics)

Selkie

Well I finally managed to get some pics of my orc and goblin horde, ended up taking these with just a standard compact digital but i think they came out OK. :grin:

First a bit of background to the army:

When I was first re-bitten by the warhammer bug it was actually skaven that drew my interest. I began collecting an army for 8th edition but after painting some 40 near identical clanrats and facing the prospect of another 40 I began to lose interest.

It was then I returned to my old lead collection which is what got me interested again in the first place, on a whim I painted up a lone snotling, enjoyed it, did another and so on until I had a small unit. I vowed never to paint the same mini twice, my love of painting little lead people was rekindled and my greenskins have grown and grown.

And that is what got me into collecting old minis - The concept that in this army there will be no duplicates, every miniature is an individual with character, it keeps the painting fun and also means I can squeeze pretty much any O&G mini that i like the look of into my army and it will fit right in.

Anyway I will start where it all started - with the snotlings:

The guy at the front with the sling and his tongue sticking out is the first miniature I painted for this army and therefore the one that started my lead addiction, he has a hell of a lot to answer for..... ;) :grin:

These snotling 'doubles' are some of my favorite minis in the army, especially the mooners and the 'before and after' drunks. 8-)

The idea behind basing them on 20mm bases is so that they can be used as lone snotlings in games like SBH, counts as goblins in games of warhammer and as they are magnetized they can also be placed on appropriately sized pieces of steel paper to make up swarms.

Goblins next, as with all my units the standard of painting varys quite a bit as they were done over quite a long time:

And here is an old pic of the snotlings and goblins mixed together:

Trolls, some of my best though earliest painting I think, I will put a lot more work into the weapons, teeth and claws when I come to add to this unit though I am chuffed with how the skin turned out. :)

Next pic was before i finished the basing but I think it shows the colours more as they look in real life:

If you look at the scales in these pics of the trolls backs I think you can see a gradual improvement to my painting skills, the middle one was done first, then the purple, then the second blue

Next up: Wolf Riders

The rear rank:

I have another 27 of these in total, I dream of running an all mobile raiding force of wolf riders and chariots once I have found enough riders. (and enough time.... :roll: )

Orcs:

Really want to get my hands on the rest of the older citadel orcs with the crocodile-style jaws like the guy in the first rank with the ball and chain. 8-)

Some characters:

This shaman is a conversion of a GW Gnoblar trapper body and a 40k head, I really screwed the warpstone with the white lines though - one of those late night painting sessions that dident work out so well... :oops:

And finally my favorite unit of all, the night goblins, for some reason the robes look really rough in a couple of these, I think in the flesh they are much smoother:

I think i have the whole set of the 1991 night goblins now though i still have the alternate champion and musician to do, there are also a few older citadel and marauder guys in there, I love the guy in the front rank giving the enemy the finger, for me a classic mini I am very happy to own. 8-)

Finally to finish up a look at the beginnings of a new unit, the Squigs. I thought I would start with the smallest first

These 'squiglets' were made from greenstuff and represent a counts as snotling swarm or filler for the main squig unit. The one at the back left corner of this next pic is a larger version:

I plan on having all sorts of creatures included in the squig herd alongside the actual squigs, I figure goblins would likely round up anything that moves as food, entertainment or cannon fodder so it should be an interesting unit to collect and paint.

Well thats all for now, plenty more in store for this army (looks guiltily at the huge box of unpainted lead under the table), I generally paint what I feel like doing at the time so dont expect much consistency in future updates, units will grow by dribs and drabs but I will try and post something new every week or two :roll:

(I have resized all the pics in photobucket but they seem to be taking a while to catch up :? If they are still massive tomorrow night I will look into resizing them again)

Take it easy, S

Harry

Wowsers. Wonderful painting and a lovely eclectic mix of models from different times and sculptors.
Whats the base colour / and recipe for the green? ... and how about the army shot of the army so far? They must look great all together.

Dreamfish

Administrator
Very nice! Your painting style is very consistent giving your army a coherent look & feel. I like the little details on your bases, although I think they'll do better with finer sand material.

Subedai

Harry":vby3rv00 said:
... and how about the army shot of the army so far? They must look great all together.
I second that motion!

Great looking horde, I really like the natural tones throughout. And the squigs of course!

Beautiful work, I have a soft spot for Night Goblins (only WHFB army I have) and in particular the ones flipping the bird :)

I wanna see the whole army too!

Just John

Brilliant - just brilliant. I love the idea of the individual bases for the snotlings, that its an idea I may have to steal from you. As to the wolf riders quite a lot of the older goblin minis actually fit on the wolves if you take their tab off, its probably a quicker way of building up a horde than looking for specific models. If you are looking for any specific orc models drop me a pm as I have a bunch of spares for trading.

Selkie

Hello again :)

@Harry - Skin recipe is as follows : citadel gretchin green, citadel thraka green wash, base highlight with gretchin green again, highlight with gretchin green + vallejo game heavy kakhi, finally the vallejo heavy kakhi + bleached bone.

@Dreamfish - The large size of sand has grown to bug me more and more over time, some of my newer stuff has finer stuff mixed in, I will have to live with the rest. :(

@Subedai - When I start a new project I will try a brighter style - chose the muted tones for clothing because it is quick/easy, leaves longer for the skin. Lots more squigs to come, including one that is a little.....different. ;)

@Asslessman - Thank you

@Ninja-for-hire - Always liked the trolls- had to paint some up early on, one day I will do the other variants.

@Count Von Bruno - Night goblins were my first love as a kid, I was lucky - picked up all those 1991 NGs in the same lot for less than £2 each when I first started trawling ebay, had no idea how lucky I was - sure was convenient getting them all at once.

@Just John - Great idea for the riders, had not even occurred to me to remove the tabs.

@Chico - Thanks, I like the freedom to just paint whatever and using alternative minis mixed in with old stuff keeps the costs down.

@ardyer -Cheers, I like the cartoony look but I tried to balance it with more neutral earthy tones.

Thank You for the replys and compliments, certainly helped give me a motivational boost :grin:

S

Blue in VT

A little late to the party hear...but have to agree with everyone else that this is a spectacular force...with a consistently high level of painting. The Stone trolls are the stand out for me....I've never really liked those particular models...always proffered the River Trolls...but seeing your painted examples has changed my mind!

Cheers,

Blue

Selkie

Well so much for posting something new every couple of weeks...

To be honest this thing has been a bit of a nightmare, I began assembling it months ago and it has just taken forever to finish - to the point that I completely lost interest in it - unfortunately I think this shows in the paintjob, but frankly I am happy to see it completed.
One day I will go back and put a bit more time into the mushrooms and wooden areas, but for now I am calling it done. ;)

Anyway, I present my pump wagon:

And the top deck:

Simply trying to assemble it in an order that allowed me access to paint everything was difficult enough, I also decided to pin every last bit of it as I could see it getting damaged easily in transit.

I am now very much looking forward to doing something quick and normal sized :grin:

Naagruz

Excellent work. Love the pumpwagon with the extra bits. One of the better models to come out of that era IMO.

Fancy doing any black orcs? :grin:

tancrede

Old models + excellent painting + good bases = very cool oldhammer army, man !!
I hope to see more of your greenskins, as they are really beautiful.

Asslessman

your pupmpwagon is great ! I like him on a round base (but that's another point) , it really is coherent and nnice, maybe a few dots on the mushrooms and a few washes here and there to alter the ood could be added but the way it is now is already really great.
I can see how this type of model can ba a nightmare to assemble. Now it's done, you can just relax and paint yourself a quikie to fuel up !

Good job.

These models are fantastic, a lot of time and effort has gone into this project I can tell. The results are amazing, I really like the snotlings and the squigs. Proper art

The Fat Git

Fantastic stuff. Really like seeing goblins (as yet) without orcs. The troll paintjobs & the pump wagon are my favourites.

Selkie

Thank You everyone for all the kind words.

Asslessman -Thanks, You are right about giving the wood another wash and the shrooms some spots, they are a bit flat - I think I will leave it a week and go back when I feel more motivated to do it properly ;)

The Fat Git -Cheers, If you look carefully there are a few orcs hiding on the first page :grin:

Naagruz -I plan to have at least one unit of everything in the book (screw having a balanced list) so black orcs will follow eventually....

Just painted a very small squig - no assembly, 30min paint job - I feel much better now :grin:

Back