40K-ishness along the Tartarus Rim

Orjetax

Ooo! Fantastic Miniatures Not-Exo Armor Not-Squats! Great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ketil Trout

Whilst 40K is not my first love, I do have a fondness for the original imperial guard models and you've done a great job with these.

symphonicpoet

^Thank you! I have a bunch more in need of some TLC when I can drag myself out of the usual summer funk. (I made a stab at it today. Almost literally: Took a very large knife to a pile of blue foam to see what might occur. Since, after all, desert rats need canyons in which to fight.)

symphonicpoet

A few new arrivals in the Moab Wastes . . .

First, a gobbo from last year that got missed:

This is one of the old Grenadier/Demonblade fellows. Quite characterful.

First up for 2020 is a converted truck I'm calling the Half Jimmy:

Looks rugged and has some decent cargo capacity too.

Next, in honor of what I'll call "Farmbruary" we have large group of "Noifs" in the process of being herded.

Lastly, Inchmurrin tipped me off to something called the "Femmebruary challenge." I'm rarely one to pass up a good challenge, and lord knows I'm all in favor of positively the most diverse bunch of characters possible. (That way you have someone for every possible situation, right? Also I live in a pretty diverse place, so I suppose I want my miniatures to reflect that. I believe there is, in fact, no single group that constitutes a majority in my city anymore, so . . . yeah. :) )

Femmebruary, you say? Meet the Duchess, leader of the newest gang in town.

(I really need to build her a pimped out ride with some chandeliers swinging from the front. Did I mention I live in the town that played the body double for a post-appoc New York in some escapist fantasy or other? I should really take advantage of that. Escape From New Hammer, starring Old Lead!)

inchmurrin

Really like the truck sir half tracks rule. My home city has been home to World War Z and the Fast and the Furious franchise, apparently Glasgow is the only city crazy enough to let the latter loose on the streets. Having saw some of the filming last year I can see why other cities avoid them, Glasgow as London not likely.

symphonicpoet

^Honestly, St. Louis as New York seems quite the stretch, but it's happened a couple of times now, I believe. Film can be magic. You select carefully and sprinkle fairy dust and . . . maybe the Firth of Clyde could be Sunny South Beach. The right angle, good lighting, and careful set dressing can make a big difference.

Anyway, glad you like the truck. :) Thank you!

(And I think I may have the name for my pet Oldhammer convention.)

symphonicpoet

^Me too! Part of it is that I live in a fairly diverse community and have a kind of a crazy hodge-podge group of friends. (Partly a side effect of working in theatre. Partly just related to being an oddball myself.) And if I want to tell my friends' stories in miniature . . . it darn sure helps to have miniatures that sort of believably look like them. Kind of. Within 28mm science-fantasy heroic reason, anyway.

symphonicpoet

Time for another installment!

Farming the Final Frontier

I won't post the entire text from the blog, but here's an introduction and the art.

"It is sometimes said that diversity is the spice and the spice is the life. Even at the event horizon of cataclysm it pays to have more than one salable commodity. The original settlers of the Tartarus Rim long ago realized this truism and took efforts to diversify the local economy. In addition to the bovine noifen a number of other Terran and exotic species have been cultivated over the years."

So this is a bit of what came of my BOYL buys last year. If you'd care for the rest of the explanatory prose check out Farming the Final Frontier Part II: Pigs in Space! Heck, check out Part I: Blind Beggar Buffalo if you like.

symphonicpoet

^Thank you both! I will indeed do my best. Need to do a bit of a write up and maybe take a few pictures, but there's more inbound. :)

symphonicpoet

^Thank you! Glad you like it. I think even my wife is starting to think my world looks a little more real and a little more interesting. And I am particularly glad you like the unloading shot. I was deeply glad I was able to make a ship with a practical cargo bay. That was one of my real gaming goals. :)

symphonicpoet

So the latest project is a new eldar skimmer tank.

49748137923_8ec8852f37_c.jpg

49748138023_8ed0dbed76_c.jpg

And one small addition: I finally managed to find lights for the Half Jimmy that I liked.

49749007477_4c7f981d1d_c.jpg

This one is probably pretty self explanitory, but if you want a description of the build there's on on The Tartarus Rim called The (Old) Spice Must Flow! (Which causes me to think I need to make one of these a spice hauler.)

twisted moon

the new speeder looks even better painted up than it promised in it's undercoat.
is the writing bona fide elvish / eldar from some where and, if so, what does it say?

symphonicpoet

I couldn't find any good elvish numbers, so I just went searching through Wikipedia for numerals that looked appropriate. They're Georgian numerals, though used improperly. (Which basically means they're Georgian letters, since they seem to use letters for their numbers. Don't quote me on this. Just a Wiki dive.)

Anyway, I think it says "one ten four." So it's really just mumbo-jumbo. But I've decided to create my own in house ancilary to whatever I eventually use for my elven runes. (Likely just Tolkien's Tengwar.) Basically, it's supposed to be a unit number. But it looks both suitably mysterious and language like. As I'm hewing pretty closely to reality, even if I'm not sticking to it.

Also: Glad you like it and thank you for asking! :grin:

Back