Harry does Frostgrave

Harry

OK some more Scenery.
I have been incredibly fortunate to get my hands on some Amera plastic mouldings ... which are perfect for Frostgrave.
I was aware of Amera because they do the bases for some of the old WWII Airfix kits that I love but I had never really looked to them for anyything else .... my mistake.

So I got hold of one of these:

Harry

..and one of these:

These are much bigger than I imagined having seen them on the website ... Her I have added a perry Dwarf for scale:

Harry

.... and here is the other one:

I can see I need to take some better pictures and do some work to get my trees to stand up straight .... but this is where I have got to after a days painting.

Asslessman

Just wonderful, You've just made me consider playing Skyrim again (probably won't get to play on such a lovely table myself...)
Is it me or is it getting cold in here?

Harry

Can't get over how much the first one especially captures the feel of this bit of art work that was my starting point.

These pieces could have been made for Frostgrave .... right down to the handy spaces at various hieghts which just fit a treasure token .... and the fact that there is a nice 3 inch climb from the se various 'steps' at different points around these mouldings so you can place miniatures as they progree up the climb. Really add some height to the table compared to some of my other pieces. Perfect!

Harry

Asslessman":1q8x75yi said:
Just wonderful, You've just made me consider playing Skyrim again (probably won't get to play on such a lovely table myself...)
Is it me or is it getting cold in here?
Next time you come over for an Oldhammer weekend you would be most welcome to come stay the night before and get a game in.
I have never played Skyrim ... even though it looks right up my street. Too mnay games ... not enough time. :grin:

Chico

Amazing young Harry :). I wish I had a fraction of your terrain making skills :) Make me some Mordheim terrain and you can have Fimm soul and/or his other useful bits hehe

Harry

Chico":2rtuzc05 said:
Amazing young Harry :). I wish I had a fraction of your terrain making skills :) Make me some Mordheim terrain and you can have Fimm soul and/or his other useful bits hehe
Thanks Chico. The beauty of this piece was I didn't need any terrain making skills. Amera had done all the work. I just gave it a paint job. :grin:

Matt in PA

That's just fantastic stuff Harry. I considered those pieces for various projects of my own through the years and rejected them as too big! Seeing them done up like that makes me think 1. They are, in fact, even bigger than I thought, 2. Yours are absolutely beautifully finished and 3. I am jealous of the storage space you must have.

The size and elevation on these imposing features should work out nicely in game. Thanks again for sharing all of your wonderful work, it's certainly inspiring as I work up terrain for my own frozen city. And much like the city of Frostgrave itself, it'll take a thousand years for mine to see the light of day.

Bring on the next pieces!

goat major

fantastic stuff! really captures the spirit well. Sometime later this year i'm going to need to start scenery for my JungleGrave project..

Dooz

absolutely amazing, and many thx for pointing me to Amera, that looks to be great value for money there

I'm always tempted by those Amera pieces and I always pass because they look pretty unappealing right out of the packet. But I must say yours are spectacular! How did you find the material?

Harry

Matt in PA":2jpa04vv said:
That's just fantastic stuff Harry. I considered those pieces for various projects of my own through the years and rejected them as too big! Seeing them done up like that makes me think 1. They are, in fact, even bigger than I thought, 2. Yours are absolutely beautifully finished and 3. I am jealous of the storage space you must have.

The size and elevation on these imposing features should work out nicely in game. Thanks again for sharing all of your wonderful work, it's certainly inspiring as I work up terrain for my own frozen city. And much like the city of Frostgrave itself, it'll take a thousand years for mine to see the light of day.

Bring on the next pieces!
1)They are much bigger than I thought they were.
2) Thank you so much
3) You wouldn't say that if you saw my hobby room. I am drowning in stuff. It is starting to look like the home of one of those poor souls who can not stop collecting junk and has too mnay cats. :grin:

But delighted you are finding inspiration from my efforts.

Harry

Fimm McCool":187fn1o0 said:
They look really great, have you done your special glittery snow effect on them?
No ... no glitter .... just white paint so far. Will add some at some point.

Harry

Dooz":130d5caj said:
absolutely amazing, and many thx for pointing me to Amera, that looks to be great value for money there
It is incredible value for money. These each cost around £10. :shock: That does not get you much from other manufacturers but these dwarf my other terrain pieces.

Harry

James Holloway":6k5x1e1v said:
I'm always tempted by those Amera pieces and I always pass because they look pretty unappealing right out of the packet. But I must say yours are spectacular! How did you find the material?
Again, surprisingly good. A much thicker grade of plastic than I was expecting and given the depth of the models I was expecting the material to be stretched really thin by the tops .... but if does not feel like it at all. So much more robust that I was expecting and yet still managed to let much of the detail though from the mould. It has left me wondering exactly what kind of kit they have to make this stuff as these are not results I would have expected from vacume forming as I understand it. Has taken acrylic paint remarkable well with just a quick spray of undercoat ... so ... yeah ... pretty happy with the material and what Amera have been able to do with it.

Harry

Here are some close ups to show the flagstone effect i have painted into the surface and so you can seea bit more of the detail in the castings. Sorry my photography is not up to much:

I swear that is a secret door in the second photograph ... behind the key.

... and here is one of my stautues against the backdrop. I seems the wizard put this at the foot of his tower to with a sigh saying "Get off my land". :grin:

Fimm McCool

Harry":19pqvpe0 said:
Again, surprisingly good. A much thicker grade of plastic than I was expecting and given the depth of the models I was expecting the material to be stretched really thin by the tops .... but if does not feel like it at all. So much more robust that I was expecting and yet still managed to let much of the detail though from the mould. It has left me wondering exactly what kind of kit they have to make this stuff as these are not results I would have expected from vacume forming as I understand it.

I'd have to have a look (maybe a quick peak this evening?) but they may be formed into reverse moulds to ensure good exterior detail. Good use of snow to allow release points on the formers. :)

Back