Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Nightmare Legion + Odds/Ends)

Make us dream with all your oldhammer stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:17 pm

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Fimir & Sir Rusty)

Thanks!

I would need to make some vast improvements in the quality of both the original sculpts and the resin castings.

I'm on a quest for half-orcs. I want them as mercenaries for various factions. The idea being they are effective, or at least adequate, but sort of a last-choice option. Sort of like employing pirates, bandits, etc. I've got some generally olsdschool aesthetics in mind.

Yesterday, I got a small order of one of the ranges I've thought worth trying. Black Tree's "Orcs of the Crimson Wave." https://eoeorbis.com/collections/fantas ... ins?page=3

I also just discover some orcs from Scotia-Grendel. http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/i ... 46_203_204 I only care for the orcs & greater orcs.

Might be worth mixing in some humans, to, for those whose features favor that portion of their heritage. Or just human outsiders who have found common cause with the half-orcs. So I'd like to find some rough looking rabble, bandits, etc. too.

Post Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:14 am

He looks suitably half orcy. I bet he'll paint up pretty well. :)

Post Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:51 pm

I've just put a handfull of half orcs in my paint-remover jar a few hours ago. I am going to make a unit of 20 half orcs, and hopefully I'll start attaching them to their bases tomorrow. If you want alternatives to the "official" half orc miniatures, you might also want to check out some warriors/thug of Chaos or some Barbarians. Personally I bought an old Fiend Factory "Bandit in Chainmail" since he was cheaper that most of the half orcs I could find on evilBay :) Some humans with "rough" faces and ragged clothes will make fine half orcs if painted the right way.

Post Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Old Minis, Large and Small)

Yes, I've been eyeing some rough looking humans, as I think a nice mix will look good.

Copying & pasting below, some of it I already posted in the BIg April Challenge...

Finished the oldschool Meier cloud giant.

Making progress on the last metal produced Citadel giant, and the old C28 Citadel giant I have. They should be done by the end of my April challenge. As for the Warploque giant (not pictured)... it may not be April, but I plan on finishing him, even if it's not done til May.

When I first got into miniature gaming in my youth (Battlesystem, Chaos Wars...) it was difficult for my friends and I to find figures. Some of my first minis were from the Grenadier "Halfling Party" set that two of us split. In fact, I still have some of them. But today, a full box of nostalgia arrived in the mail!

Off to Easter festivities with the family. Watch out for those eggs...

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:32 am

Still working on the last two giants. No way I will get to the Otherworld giant (still in a bag) but I'm still hoping to finish the Warploque giant, and the freshly started Ral Partha frost giant. Shown here, WIP, for ridiculous scale differences. Made a lot of progress on Frosty. Added some more subtle washes to the big guy.

While waiting for paint/washes to dry on those two, I (very) quickly painted up two test figures from the Disciples of the Red... er, Dead Redemption, based on the same palette I used on the Undeadish. The idea being that they have similarly been enticed to/enthralled by the forces of undeath. But these are secretive urban cultists rather than full tribes converted wholesale.

I'm still considering giving them normal, if somewhat pale, human flesh instead of the pale grey flesh of the Undeadish. Another option is maybe adding some trim to the edges of the robes -- though I can always add that later.

Mat

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:01 am

These are nice.
Personally I'd leave the flesh as is for extra cohesiveness, but that's just me. I'm sure they're going to look great no matter what you do! :D
Ooh a blog...
Ragged They Kill

Tex

Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Love the meier cloud giant and the mushrooms!
I'd love trying my brushes on one, but it keeps eluding me.

Post Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:32 am

Thanks!

I do think I will leave the flesh as is. After looking at it for a few days, I decided I like them that way.

I've got to give a nod to DeafNala from the Lead Adventure Forum. He sent me some of the mushrooms. The others I made with putty left over after various projects.

I'm still after the Tom Meier frost giant. After that, maybe some of the others he did....

I think this is the last giant I'm going to get done by the end of April -- the Tom Meier/Ral Partha fire giant, which I thought made a nice frost giant...

I'm still working on the (not quite "oldhammer" but it has that same sort of charm to me) Warploque giant. Going to continue painting him past April, probably a little at a time. Almost done with the washes on the flesh...

Rambling about these and more on my blog.... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/04/ ... eyond.html

Post Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:10 am

Fire/frost really did come out quite well. And I look forward to seeing what becomes of . . . not quite oldhammer.

Post Sun May 07, 2017 4:41 pm

I think he's going to be a slow project. My goal is to finish him before Summer ends. :D

I quickly finished painting and based some of the undeadish cultists. They're mostly old Citadel Disciples of the [s]Red[/s] Dead Redemption troopers, plus an old (chaos?) wizard, and one of the new "oldhammer" figures (this one from Ramshackle Games - bearing an "old hammer") I got at the last Oldhammer USA day. I thought the latter two would fit well with the unit, and I'm not disappointed!

I'm still in the process of painting the four command figures from the Disciples unit.

I also got to play my first games of any sort... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/05/ ... s-wip.html
Last edited by ZeroTwentythree on Mon May 08, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Showroom