Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (plague)

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Heavy Skeletal Infantry Te

Thanks!

The hand & eye were part of a 3d printed designer toy I customized for the release show at Rotofugi Gallery in Chicago next week. He's a little bigger scale. ;) Just finished him up & put him in the mail.

nohwitzeses02_zps2bzcfc8b.jpg

nowhitz_promo_share_600_zpskxgct9kv.jpg

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Skeletal Elite)

Finished the first small unit of skeletal elite. Only two fit on a base, which is fine. As long as they appear to have the same "mass" as the other formed units, I'm OK with that. I ended up going back and "dusting" the bottom of the robes, and giving the the edges of the armor & weapons a bit more detail. I like the way they turned out, and think they will look good with the army. I may do another set like this at some point in the future. But I've still got plenty of other stuff I'd like to get done first.

gg01_zpsq39cqzt3.jpg

I have been re-thinking the "good guys." I already have some metal (Front Rank, Grenadier, Perry) and plastic (Perry) late 15th century medieval figures that I am considering using as my starting force of militia/levy/men-at-arms instead of my old WFB army. I like this idea for a few different reasons. The landsknecht style figures can still be introduced later on as mercenaries, and I can continue to paint them as my mood dictates.

For now, I should probably finish up the Undeadish and skeletal cavalry that are still sitting on my painting table first, though.

zoggin-eck

Love you work. The skulls look great :)

How do you like the legion of battle rules? They're one of those rules I bought in a great "buy every indie/smaller company" set of rules phase a couple of years ago and promptly forgot about* and then went looking for again not long ago. Took me ages because I couldn't remember the name, only that it was "the one that uses Mantic models in the photos".

* Pretty dangerous thing to do. I almost re-bought the "rogue planet" PDF the other day, having completely forgotten I owned it!

Thanks for the comments!

To be honest, I haven't played Legion of Battles yet. I came across them because of the because I was shopping around for a new set of ancients rules and bought "Crusader," which I thought had a similar feel to Warhammer but was more streamlined in some ways. I haven't played Crusader yet, either. ;) There are things I like & dislike about each set, but figured I would start with Legion first since it was already built for fantasy. I will post a report when I get my first game in -- whether it's solo or against a live opponent.

DAGabriel

Looking cool, great work. Am really enjoying what you churn out here!

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Undeadish Cavalry)

Thanks!

Finished my first group of Undeadish cavalry. It may seem like I've become a painting machine, but they have been mostly done for quite a while. I just quickly (maybe a little too quickly) finished them up whenever I could get a few minutes to work on them recently.

ucav01_zpsnd4uwloo.jpg

Fimm McCool

Really like them. The pale skin is beautifully painted and picking the lead rider out with a pale horse is a lovely effect.

I've decided to start working on a gaming table in the attic. After (far too much) consideration, I decided to go for a quick & easy solution first, with the option to switch to one of my more complex ideas later. This has several benefits: I will get a decent gaming surface in play pretty quickly, and everything can be "upgraded" in phases. So before I started overthinking, I picked up the minimal basics while I was running some errands today: one more set of cube shelves and two flush hollow core interior doors. Next step will be to texture and paint them. I've already got the glue & sand from a previous project.

Here's a couple of pics of them in place. Please excuse the mess. I'm still in the process of cleaning, unpacking, setting up & organizing the attic. My painting/sculpting table off in the opposite corner, on the left side of the second photo.

tablewip01_zps6r7vbjj4.jpg

tablewip02_zpssvcytrcv.jpg

King Arthur

Love what you've done with the Foundry Germanic Cavalry, they do look very deprived and hungry for blood!

I'm done with the basic table top.

The summary of my decision/design is that I went with something I could put to use quickly, and easily. I can add, upgrade, create modular tiles, etc. later. I ended up going a little oldschool with the paint scheme. I've been digging some of the Oldhammer aesthetics I've been seeing lately.

tablewip04_zpsc4dpkj9e.jpg

One of the collateral benefits of terrain projects is that I get to grind some green paint into cheap brushes, which gives me a new batch of tall grasses to use for bases and other terrain pieces.

brushterr_zpsm3knwvkz.jpg

I painted a couple of test models from Mantic. Not the best pic, but I think they came out ok. When I'm at a proper keyboard (instead of a phone) I'll type out some comments on the figures.

mantskelwip01_zpsuznnqroj.jpg

I'm still digging around & cleaning out my attic storage. I found this over the weekend.

gd96tape_zps4lqcapyy.jpg

My plan is to try some big battle games, but when I pulled this out, my mind started to wander off to thoughts of a secondary skirmish project. I've had this since it was new, but have never played it in spite of the fact that I really like some of the mechanics. Have always wanted to give it a try...

bldstrm01_zpsk2spbnwj.jpg

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Mantic Skeletons)

Painted up my first group of Mantic skeletons. They are a mix of the regular ones and the Revenants, which I thought look too similar to the regular skeletons to warrant use as some other troop type.

They are OK models for the price. I'm not a huge fan of Mantic's figures in general. But I was more optimistic with the undead after seeing photos online. Once I got them in person, and now after I painted them I am less impressed. Some of the detail is very shallow and just doesn't show up with the paint. Some of the poses are a bit awkward (a few of them reminded me of the Warlord Celts,) including the way some of them were holding their weapons. I'm not really a fan of the "expressive" (cartoon-y?) skulls, either. They're not horrible figures. And they might look better in mass numbers. I'm just not a huge fan so far.

They're also a lot smaller than I expected. They look OK next to the ancient Germans I'm using as "undeadish" and should scale up OK with Perry WotR figures that will end up on the opposite side of the battlefield. But they really look miniscule next to GW and other fantasy figures. This wasn't entirely unexpected, but the difference is more noticeable than I had thought it would be. (At least on the painting/photo table -- I'll have to see how they look on the gaming table.)

mantskel01_zpswzlpxisz.jpg

Quendil

Looking great. I've got blade storm somewhere but never got round to reading it

I played Silent Death long ago. While it was an OK game, I've never been happy with tabletop space combat games as they don't do much justice to the 3d nature of the environment. But I did like the basics of the combat system and thought it would make a great small skirmish game. And from what I recall, that's where Bladestorm fits in...

snyggejygge

I quite like your Mantic skellies!

Please do tell if Bladestorm is a good game, been looking at it a few times but never picked it up!

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (King of Old and a Swarm)

I counted up my Mantic skeletons and discovered I will be one base short of having a nice round number of units. So I painted up an old Citadel figure to use with them, as a leader type figure, along with one of the "emerging" skeletons from the Mantic sprues.

oldhamwraith01_zpsqhipqpha.jpg

mantskelewraith_zps3apvwrxp.jpg

I also dug out an old (already painted) swarm to accompany the undead.

swarm01_zpszlvka21j.jpg

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (King of Old and a Swarm)

As I’ve been painting Undeadish and building a table, I’ve been thinking about a lot of the other aspects of my current project, and that has been evolving a lot.

I had started writing up a list of pros & cons for an alternative road to take with the “good guys” and had planned on posting that publicly. But the act of writing it out convinced me to just go ahead with the alternative.

The “good guys” or the “definitely living according to common definitions of life” are going to take on a slightly different character. Initially, I was simply going to use my WFB Marienburgers, and cling to a lot of the background. Previously I decided to transpose most of the general concepts of the city to my own setting. My thoughts on this have continued to evolve, and I have decided that although Marienburg and the existing army will most likely be a part of the narrative, I am going to start with some new ideas, background, and figures from the ground up.

I think it boils down to a few main reasons. One is that I am really getting into the world building and fictional history creation. (Maybe I will try my hand at writing some actual fiction?) The other is that I would like to construct, paint and base a new army from scratch. I think I can also benefit from narrowing the focus of the setting, background, armies, and map(s).

So I have decided to start my campaign in the rural hinterland, and will be using slightly earlier period figures. As much as I enjoy the landsknecht period & style, I’m also (more?) fond of the late 15th century. I also happen to have some unpainted Perry and Front Rank miniatures to form the basis of the army, left over from my abandoned historical Burgundian army. The new focus will also be far more human-centric.

Behind the scenes I have been writing down some outlines & information regarding the setting, and have plotted out some initial battle scenarios. I will be doing these in “chapters,” and don’t want to get too far ahead of actual games, as I’d like the results of the games to determine the narrative and nature of subsequent battles (and further development of the armies.)

I will share some of these details once they are fleshed out some more. At some point, my long term goal is (ideally) to put together an oldschool “campaign pack” with writing, maps, battles. If I can manage -- and this may be a bit of daydreaming -- I wouldn’t mind creating some illustrations and sculpting a few miniatures to go with the campaign.

For now, I have more undeadish to paint, and now some revised planning to do for their opponents’ figures as well. Since I hate to update without a photo of something, here's what my desk currently looks like.

20150601_010227_zpsgpp1zbca.jpg

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Skeletons & Ogres)

I finished up five more bases of Mantic skeletons, and finally based the undeadish ogres (Golgfag v.2.)

mantskel02_zpskfh6jwij.jpg

gfo02_zpso3ndc24u.jpg

I'm thinking about starting a gaming club. I'm chewing on some names like Lonely Attic Wargaming, or Lonely Attic Wargaming Group. The former has the advantage of a great acronym ("I am the LAW!") but the latter has an amusing irony, since I will most likely be the only member.

LA-logo-01c_zpssi7dycw6.png

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Skeletons & Ogres)

You're getting amazing use out of a limited palette there; those ogres look brilliant.

If it's not off topic, do you mind if I ask about your process in creating that gaming table? I'm just in the process of getting ready to move into a new place, one that will actually have space for a permanent gaming table, and I'm entering the dreaming phase ...

Back