Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (plague)

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Skeletons & Ogres)

area23":26y9glho said:
solo gaming makes you blind. :grin:

:lol:

James Holloway":26y9glho said:
You're getting amazing use out of a limited palette there; those ogres look brilliant.

If it's not off topic, do you mind if I ask about your process in creating that gaming table? I'm just in the process of getting ready to move into a new place, one that will actually have space for a permanent gaming table, and I'm entering the dreaming phase ...

I made mine from two flat hollow core doors. They're 2'-0" x 6'-8"each. They rest on two sets of shelves, with some foam floor mat scraps (left over from another home project) between the doors & shelves. The foam keeps the doors from sliding, and acts as a leveler. And since it's soft, I can paint the other side of the doors blue & give them a ton of gloss varnish, so I can use it for naval games or put foam terrain tiles on top and leave the exposed blue surface as river, coast, etc.

The doors are textured. I just brushed white glue on, then covered it with sand. When that was dry, I brushed off & collected the loose sand, and started painting. The first coat of paint is flat interior paint, color matched to the craft paint I use for the bases on my figures. After that it was drybrushing a lighter shade of tan, then added dark green areas, then drybrushed those with some light green. I would like to add some matte varnish, but I'm going to make some hills first and test the varnish out on that before risking the entire table. ;)

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Terrain Sidequest)

I wanted to work on something different for a while, so I'm on a terrain sidequest. I got some insulation foam for some hills, but I want them to be a bit rocky. I may cut up some of the foam off-cuts for larger rubble, but for smaller stuff I went to the craft store armed with $5, and came home with $2 and this:

20150612_163602_zps8gkuaehi.jpg

Dumped into some storage for a better look:

20150612_163750_zpsobcpzl1g.jpg

And after I took a hammer to the "deco stones":

20150612_164507_zpsg5u9b1lu.jpg

First set...

20150612_234447_zpsbobpgv8m.jpg

20150612_234557_zpsvcv9t8g9.jpg

In both of these arrangements, each is 20" wide (so that's about 8" gap in the second photo) and project 18" out. Both the long and short edges match up.

Not exactly what I had pictured in my head. Not digging those top levels. They look like OK gaming hills, but I think I'd like to do something more visually interesting. Hard to make that balance -- not to mention figuring out WTF I am doing. All previous hills I've done have been of the "stepped pleateau" style -- heavy on the gaming practicality, but not too interesting to look at.

Meh, I'll give them a chance. I've still got more foam & hills to make. I think the next one may be a pair of 1/2 hills (as opposed to 1/4 hills above) that can either go on table edges or be put together as a big free standing deal. Or maybe a big "filler" that can go between the two 1/4 hills above, so I can stretch it along one long table edge like a ridge...

OK, one more. I had some 1.5" pink foam left from an older project, so I used that for a big hill. And as I sat carving it, and even after, it gradually warped (cupped) so that the center of both hills lifts off the table a bit. Not sure how to remedy this. :dry:

I made some quickie rock pillars with some of the scraps.

20150613_011430_zpsgz6qvhrz.jpg

Slow going, but I did just a few more skeletons. The photo makes them look a bit darker, but they look like they fit with the previous skeletons in real life.

mantskel03_zpsaxwrzhxq.jpg

One more for tonight.... a progress shot of the hills. I've got plastic on the table because I'm using it as a work surface. Should have taken it off for the pics so I could see how they look on the actual table surface.

hills02_zpset3ktuib.jpg

Fimm McCool

Dang, they look lush. :) To cure your warping issues stick 'em down to a piece of board. Plywood is best as it doesn't warp itself as badly as thin MDF or fibreboard, but if you use copydex correctly (apply THINLY- if you can see white you need to scrape more off!- to both sides, let completely dry and push together) there's no moisture in the bond so the board should stay flat.

Thanks. I think I'm going to leave them for now. It doesn't seem too bad on the table. If it gets on my nerves looking at the gaps, I may try that in the future though.

A not terribly clear photo of two of the terrain pieces on the board, with figures for scale.

hills03_zpshx2jtnfk.jpg

I am currently working on the little rock formations and a few other bits, and testing out some matte varnish on the big round hill set. If the varnish works, then the hills in the pic and the rest of the table top will get a coat or two. (I have also started painting some figures I owe other people.)

When I set up for the pic above, I wanted to put up a backdrop. So now I am thinking about what I can put together for a better movable backdrop (including how to get it up to the table height from the floor.

Also, although I have not noticed any sagging, I am starting to wonder if I should put another shelf unit for support under the middle of the tabletop -- either perpendicular or parallel to the ones on the end -- either might work OK.

Thanks!

Did a test batch of small bits of tall grass. I figure I can use these, and others, to loosely define an area of terrain, or just add scenic background and have no effect on the game. Scattered along river banks, for example. They were made with the green stained bristles from one of the cheap paint brushes I used on the table top.

tallgrass01_zpsdnq6eco5.jpg

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (A Knight & Some Undead Wis

A very quick paint job on one of the current Citadel plastic chaos knights. I had this single knight left over from other projects & figured I could use him as a leader of some sort. Stuck with the usual color palette.

chlord01_zpswxgqhfrp.jpg

Also, a little behind the scenes photo from when I was painting the horns on his head. I used a few layered washes and hung him (and his magnetic base) upside-down from my light (which is steel.)

upsidedownknight_zps7xu6bm8g.jpg

Speaking of my light, I finally replaced the two fluorescent lamps in it. They were probably older than I am. I got the same lamps as I had, but the new ones are so nice and bright!

I keep a "wanted" list of miniatures and related items. My budget is extremely small, and I'm trying not to outpace painting too much, so items are only slowly removed from the list. I've recently started feeling nostalgic and have decided that I really need to have two pieces of the past that I honestly can't afford. Unless I find some hidden bargain or manage to arrange some sort of swap for figures or painting services, I'm not sure I will be able to cross these off my list any time in the foreseeable future.

The first is the old Regiments of Renown Nightmare Legion. I had this (painted!) when I was younger and bought minis without much concern for focusing on large armies. I eventually sold or traded it away. But now I am dying to get a set for my current project!

ske1_zpsayunboac.jpg

The other item isn't actually miniatures. Long, long, loooong ago I worked in a store and we had a (sealed) copy of Ratspike. I should have bought it. I didn't. I've been thinking about it lately, and would really like to get it.

51anhMJ0OcL_zpsoxekp1nx.jpg

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (A Knight & Some Undead Wis

Mail day! Thank you Ral Partha Europe!

I can't seem to take a clear photo with my phone for days now, so it's a bit blury, but the Meier dragon and two skeletal ogres arrived. I'm dying to start on these right away, but have some other things to work on first. I am also thinking about taking a shot at sculpting the ogres a couple of friends before I paint them. Not saying that I will be successful... but I think I'd like to take a shot at it. ;)

The ogres are a little bigger than the old Golgfags I'm using with the Undeadish, but I'm OK with that. Scale is all over the place in this project, and it still looks OK. The dragon is the perfect size for me. In fact, it's close to the same size as The Caller's mount that I previously painted up. I will post some better pics with other figures for scale at some point.

Also of note, the dragon is in four parts, and they key into each other really well. They need t a bit of filing to get them to fit, but once that's done I shouldn't need to pin the pieces. Very well sculpted. But I suppose that's to be expected. Tom Meier has always been one of the best.

rpeloot01_zps1uc5m4wp.jpg

Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Undead Dragon)

I painted up the Undead Dragon in similar colors to the rest of the Undead(ish.) I've got mixed feelings about the results. I think I may end up putting a little more (brush)work into it. I'm trying to find a balance between wanting to add detail, but keeping the simple character and palette of the rest of the Undead. Maybe I should hold off and put that effort into one or two of the living dragons first, and then take another look and see how I feel about this one?

He/she needs a name. For the moment I'm referring to him/her as "Calgon the Black" until I think of something more appropriate.

calgon01_zps1t1qtdsl.jpg

calgon03_zpslcfaevsp.jpg

King Arthur

Nice! Painting Black is not such an easy task, especially when it comes to highlighting, but you've done a mighty fine job ;)

I do love this sculpt, the body at least is very reptilian and the face is somewhat somber! However, the wings just do not belong, scale wise! They are too small, suggesting a flightless dragon, a small shame on an otherwise great piece of gaming history!

Cheers

Gary

Thanks. I do like the way that the wings look atrophied & useless on this model.

A comparison of scale. These two make an interesting, if odd, pair. Seeing them together is making me reconsider my decision to paint the rat-beast meaty instead of black or grey.

calgon05_zpsyetot8u0.jpg

While digging through boxes of old figures, I came across this guy and think I should find a spot for him in my current plans. It’s an unreleased (AFAIK) “Bramble Demon” from an also unreleased game called Warlocke: Rise of the Young Kingdoms.

bramble01s_zpshrzf7jsb.jpg

And sometimes my work table looks like this….

desk13s_zpskc6xjjlp.jpg

(Any guesses what's in the jar?)

When I started my current project and returned to painting and making plans for doing some gaming (no games yet...) at the beginning of the year, a large part of that decision was as a way to find some peaceful time to deal with a lot of the stress that has been consuming my life. It may seem like a small thing, or an escapist thing, but it's my "meditation," for lack of a better word. It gives me something positive to enjoy and look forward to.

Earlier this week a mystery package arrived at my home from overseas (UK.) When I opened the box, read the enclosed note and saw what carefully packed inside, I was overwhelmed. I had been having a really bad day up until that point. But it was suddenly washed away by the random generosity of someone I know through the online miniatures community, but have never even met in person. Here's what was inside:

nileg00_zpscmkzrngd.jpg

A couple weeks ago I wrote about my quest for the old Nightmare Legion, and the frustration of a limited budget. Fellow forum-goer and "Undead enthusiast," Shadespyer, had offered to keep an eye out for a more affordable Legion than I had been seeing on eBay. He ended up sending me his own figures.

So now I once again have one of the classic Regiments of Renown from my youth. The presence of this nostalgic unit in my project means a whole lot to me. It's a reminder of better times and the enjoyment of care-free gaming. More than that, it is a representation of the kindness of strangers, a reminder that there are many good people in the world, and how amazing it is to live in a time/world where modern communication creates a worldwide community from those with unique interests. I really can't thank him enough.

billyfish

That's an awesome and thoughtful thing to do, so kudos to Shadespyer

Really enjoying this thread, the minis look awesome. I have a bunch of eBay wins on route (skeleton horde miniatures, corpse cart and zombie dragon) so will be joining "the undead enthusiasts" as well. My first real collection was undead and can't wait to rebuild what was lost many years ago in all my moving and travels.

More on topic, can you share your bone painting colours/tips. I like the shade you've got going on with this lot.

Back