Return of the Magnificent Sven

Chico

Thantsants":1yo8q27a said:
If you can wait a few more weeks I should have a recent acquisition painted up that should keep you happy Chico...

Heh its more to keep the Wife happy, 'cause if i don't see more painted Slann i'm going to start buying them and end up broke lol.

Thantsants

You wanted Slann - will this do?

My most prized Slann model - the Slann Wizard and Bearers

I spent quite a while trying to decide on a colour scheme for the Wizard. Having already used colourful poison arrow frog type patterns for my Venom Tribe Slann, I wanted something equally colourful and patterned but with much more stature than those lowly primitives!

Having trawled google images I came up with this regal looking fella - an Amazon Horned Frog. I brightened up the green a bit and attempted the brown stripes - think he turned out alright!

Also shown here is the rather natty aquarium ornament I picked up for £4 at Pets at Home a few months back!

I also figured that a Slann of this status would probably have no taste at all - think a Lustrian version of Toad of Toad Hall! Hence the rather gaudy feather fan and his cushions of many colours.

Here are the Lizardmen I also entered in the LPL - got a few of these chaps now to go with my Tom Meier lesser Lizardmen and Troglodytes.

Gourgaz from Lone Wolf (another setting I'd love to game) who fits in rather nicely!

and the much sought after C19 range

Just John

Love the paintjobs on great figures. I always wanted that palanquin. Don't know that I'll ever be able to afford a Slann army but I could see myself trying for that one.

Thantsants

Thanks chaps - good hunting John!

Got another update as my round 8 entry in the LPL was these lovely ladies of the Sisterhood.

The LPL kind of put paid to the construction of Rigg's Shrine but it did spur me on to paint the section I'd finished as a backdrop for the ladies here.

Of course I had to make some pillars, a raised dais, an altar and a pedestal for the golden statue of Rigg (cheers Harry!).

The Sisterhood has a firm grip of the political, religious and technical power and makes up the ruling class in Amazon society. This excerpt from the Second Citadel Compendium goes into a little more detail:

The Sisterhood originates from the High Age of Southern Lustria, a golden age of science and technology. Even then, Amazonia was a wild and fiercely independent land. The technocratic and wise old Slann accepted this and respected Amazon territory. While other humans were regarded as inferior, enslaved and treated little better than cattle, the Amazons retained their freedom.

Old Slann and Amazon were able to exist, almost entirely peacefully side by side. There was even a measure of trade and cooperation between the two races. Amazons were particularly valued as Acolytes and as Thralls by the High Age Magii.

These Amazon emigres were the ancestors of the present day Sisterhood. They were to gain, through their work and their studies, a close familiarity with the High Age sciences.

Eventually the Old Slann fell, their civilisation was destroyed and their knowledge lost even to their descendants. Modern day Slann regard any trace of the old days with suspicion and fear: the Old Sciences have been lost to them. Not so to the Sisterhood, who retained and preserved much of their knowledge. Whilst they could not hope to recreate the products of the High Age they could still use and maintain many of the artefacts which they had salvaged from its fall.

This knowledge became the basis of the Sisterhood's power and authority within Amazon society. The careful organisation, fanatic devotion and above all, the secrecy of the Sisterhood ensure a continuing hegemony in the religious, political and scientific spheres of Amazon life.

The Sisterhood Mage is one of the high ranks within the Sisterhood - those who rise to such greatness are formidable magic users and are able to call forth the living embodiment of the Goddess Rigg.

Mother Samantha is one of the only named Amazon characters, apart from the rebellious Kara Lakota.

Samantha's birth place lies somewhere in Eastern Amazonia. Born into a Nomadic tribe, she eventually became a member of the Kalim and from here joined the Devout.

She rose with remarkable speed from the Devout to the Sisterhood and then upwards through the ranks of the Sisterhood. She is now a High Priestess, the Head of the Holy Shrine of Rigg.

Samantha is still surprisingly young. Because of her Nomadic Amazon background she is an agile and able fighter as well as a powerful magician.

The Goddess herself!

Rigg, Goddess of War, is the leading figure in the Amazon pantheon - the result of the mythic union between her and the Sea Elf God of wealth and happiness, Amex, was said to be Kalith, Mother of all Amazons.

Although she is of neutral alignment, her spheres of influence lie in warfare, blood, Koka and violent death!

Should the Great Hall of the temple be violated, Mother Samantha or any other Sisterhood Mage can summon the Goddess herself with a summon demons spell. The Goddess will manifest herself, standing on the altar and obeying the wishes of the summoner for 2D4 turns. She appears as a 9 foot tall giant with red eyes and hair and is armed with a knife and four throwing knives - all magical.

Huge thanks to Zhu and his excellent forays into Amazonia, both for his great posts on the subject but also for inspiring the colour scheme I chose for the Sisterhood. I was so taken with the costume design for none other than Diana Rigg herself, in her role as Klytemestra in the BBC adaptation of The Serpent Son, that I had to pinch it!

You may recognise the face paint design I've used on most of the Sisterhood.

The design on this dress also shows up on the backs of the cloaks of Rigg and the Sisterhood Mage.

The next models aren't from the Amazon range but make nice Sisterhood Acolytes or Novices.

The evil Priestess from the Fantasy Adventurers range. I had a go at making her robe seem a little on the sheer side by adding faint flesh highlights where the cloth was drawn tight. I figured red hair would be pretty in vogue too if it was good enough for Rigg herself!

I figured that a Goddess like Rigg would probably be wanting some kind of blood sacrifice so the Houri with dagger, also from the Fantasy Adventurers range, would also fit nicely.

And finally another Samantha - this time Samantha Phox from the later range of Wizards. She's obviously had a little too much Koka or gotten a bit carried away with the rituals...

So to finish off I thought I'd mock up a few shots of what a game might actually look like once the Shrine is done!

Heyer

:o :o :o :o :o :o sorry let me close my jaw :o :o :o :o i can't :grin: ,congratulations,it is a nice paint job...well not nice,just awasome :grin:

Dreamfish

Administrator
You've been busy! Love the miniatures and paint jobs. You've managed to create a lovely atmosphere in that temple of yours. I like the green hue on the walls.

Thantsants

Thanks chaps - think I got fairly close to this...

By the way are you lot getting all the images I've posted up. Some are showing up as broken for me and in photobucket even though they apparently uploaded fine originally? :mad:

I see all.

Beautiful work, Im quite unfamiliar with the old Lizardmen models-theyre awesome!

Your scenery and backgrounds are incredible, very inspiring.
I don't really have a stable or large enough enviroment to build a table of my own, otherwise Id love to create some scenery/settings.

Awesome man.

Plaiecivile

I see quite a lot of slann/amazon related material these days on the forum and I just found this very nice old link.
So time to use my threadomancy powers to share this finding!

Thantsants you did an amazing job!

Thanks Plaiecivile for reviving this thread, i had never seen before (just saw afew photos under Riggs Shrine plans), this is a really amazing Lustrian feast . Really great background scenery/photos also...inspiring and wonderful stuff Thantsants!

Back