Return of the Magnificent Sven

Make us dream with all your oldhammer stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:34 am

Return of the Magnificent Sven

Here's a few pics of the minis I've got painted so far for my sequel to the Magnificent Sven. I'm not going to be playing the original scenario that came with WFB 2nd ed. as there's no way I can afford the 70 Slann and 40 villagers it requires! The plan is to follow Sven's exploits as he and his victorious band of Norsemen and other hangers-on are ejected from the village of Vastervik by the villagers, angry at the state of the place after the victory celebrations.

It all started off with this little chap - Juggo Jorikson - who I think I picked up in a mixed lot off ebay for a couple of quid. I believe, having read the original scenario a few times that I need to paint his hair blue...

I then got hold of most of the rest of the seven and entered them as a team in my first LPL (Lead Painters Leage - a painting competition over on the LAF), substituting the elusive Karl Ustracutter with one of the Heroic Fighters minis.

Juggo, Sven Hasslefriesian and the Halfling stow-away, Raidocks Timmowit

The fair ladies - Riolta Snow, Elf tourist and the run-away Amazon, Karra Lakota

Karl Ustracutter (replacement) and aging wizard, Aygar Mistletaine

Then a year later I had finally tracked down Karl and entered him into another LPL with this encounter with Kremlo, an orphaned Slann who has been raised by Norsemen, and star of his own scenario. He'll also be making an appearance in my sequel...

The berserkers -

Kremlo the Slann

Up against them will be the remnants of Gurgyll Greenwake's gang, nursing cuts and bruises and a desire for revenge -

Warriors -

Venom Tribe scouts

Slave masters and lobotomized human slaves

The Amazons

And not forgetting some of Lustria's delightful fauna -

Lots more to come - currently working on a colour scheme for the Amazon priestesses and pilgrims.

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Return of the Magnificent Sven

:shock:

Beautiful. I'm very very jealous of that lot. Not only the collection, but the paint jobs as well. I started with 2nd and Lustria is what it's all about for me. We need a froth smiley.

Using the woad to tie together the Norse + Kremelo into a warband is a touch of genius.

One question, Juggo hair colour?.

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:03 am

I've admired these before but it doesn't hurt saying that these are beautiful again!

I have enough slann and villagers but with out using subs am shy on the character models, perhaps we have a contender for a joint effort at some as yet un-arranged meeting.

I have a bunch of unpainted amazons too, I'm supposed to be painting gobbos darn it!

Grand Buffoon of the Highest Order

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 am

Wonderful stuff as usual - when I started going down this Oldhammer path I (in my innocence) decided I was going collect the figures needed for the Magnificent Sven as I had the 2nd edition rules and a model of Sven's boat I made years ago. Then I saw the prices Slann were going after bidding on a few, did the maths and moved to Orcs & Goblins instead :D Now if I ever do go to Lustria I'll have to either win the Euromillions or use proxies.

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 am

brilliant. Love those Amazons and Norsemen, very effective paintjobs!
What's the deal with the Amazons' pistols, though?
ImageImageImage

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:04 am

Tech left over from the original space slann (for whom the Amazons were a favored servant race), guarded and used by the amazons as important ancient near magical artifacts.

Donator

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Yeah truly amazing stuff. Your PJs on the various races are quite good...but I am totally blown away by your painting on the creatures...you achieve a level of reality with them that I envy greatly....the snake and toad/frog being personal favorites of mine.

I'm embarrassed to say that I know next to nothing about this scenario...is there a link to a summary or copy of the booklet?

Cheers,

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:38 pm

You might find a pdf version by looking for "magnificent seven warhammer pdf" on google...

I'm jealous, I've been wanting to do this for years !

Bruno
Buy new miniatures with an oldschool feel on http://vialudibunda.com

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks for all the kind words chaps!

Using the woad to tie together the Norse + Kremelo into a warband is a touch of genius.

One question, Juggo hair colour?.

Cheers Zhu - well Kremlo is a member of the BlueSpinespick Tribe after all.

Yes, I know it should be blue - painted him up before I got hold of the supplement. :roll:

Thanks by the way for the excellent stuff you wrote up about Dungeon Punk - you and Coopdevil have been quite influential in all this. :)

Ti -They also have access to needler and laser pistols and power swords! There's even rules in the 2nd ed. magic book for Slann power wands and weapons that can make you there slave if you haven't enough WP - once you are the weapon's slave you enter a trance-like state and travel to Lustria by any means possible to tend to secret and ancient machinery left behind by the ancient Slann. Once your task is done you are released and become master of the weapon and return with new skills and powers...

Thanks Blue - most of my figs are only ever painted to tabletop standard but I must have got lucky with the critters! The toad and snake are Otherworld minis and beautifully detailed - they pretty much paint themselves. Must admit I was quite chuffed with the scorpion as it was looking quite dull before I added the reddish tints to the claws and brown ink washes to the body. :)

I've been looking for an electronic copy of the original scenario for a while too - to go with my paper one of course. You can read the Kremlo scenario here

Here, by the way, are the scenarios I've written in sequel to The Magnificent Sven

Sven Rides Again

Reptile Round-up

Kremlo, I presume...

I have enough slann and villagers but with out using subs am shy on the character models, perhaps we have a contender for a joint effort at some as yet un-arranged meeting.

I have a bunch of unpainted amazons too, I'm supposed to be painting gobbos darn it!

when I started going down this Oldhammer path I (in my innocence) decided I was going collect the figures needed for the Magnificent Sven as I had the 2nd edition rules and a model of Sven's boat I made years ago.

Erny I think that is a great idea - with your Slann and John's boat we could pull this off. We just need someone with 40 villagers ready to go and a whole load of plastic aquarium plants... :twisted:

Seriously though I reckon playing The Magnificent Sven together would be a huge deal - what other scenario could we do with the original minis (I've got a few to get still - although don't understand what the Slann are doing with Hobhounds and would prefer to use Cold One Warhounds) which features a dead race - the Slann - and is generally what Oldhammer is all about? If we ever host a game at a Wargames show I think it might have to be this - or Orc's Drift, but that's a bit old hat now though! ;)

Treps - get painting up villagers and Slann and give us an even better reason for us to come and visit you than the wine and food of your region!

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Oops spotted the Juggo hair colour comment in the post. Must learn to read and not just look at the pictures!

Blue - there's a very reasonably priced 2nd edition box set on eBay UK - with cut card figures, so it's not mint, but will do international shipping:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-Warhamme ... 3cc9a2bb00
Next

Return to Showroom