Space Elves, Bugs, and a Ramshackle Robo-Gorilla

symphonicpoet

The last of my projects from January are up on the blog.

IMG_4096-1.jpg

IMG_4097-1.jpg

Apart from Big Robbo, the orks below are not new. Only there for size comparison.

IMG_4106-1.jpg

But these guys are newish. (Briefly posted elsewhere, but reincluded here.)

IMG_4105-1.jpg

That particular eldar commander seems to be getting around lately.

And a little scenery . . .

IMG_4100-1.jpg

IMG_4101-1.jpg

There's a couple of shots of the two scenic bits in progress up on the blog-post. I have to say I love the Ramshackle gorillagon. heck of a miniature. I'm more than a bit pissed he was caight in t he gloss-coat debacle, but I'm still pleased enough with the paint, even if it's no longer as flat as I like it. Not a bad end of the month. And February has more interesting stuff. Stay tuned.

You painted him up great Mr poet :grin:

You don't like the amount of shine on him? Just hit him again with a matt varnish.

Like the Eldar colour scheme too.

symphonicpoet

Maybe I'm doin' it wrong, but I've hit the things with several coats of matte varnish. (Specifically Testors dullcote.) It doesn't seem to be doing any further good at this point. I may hit it with another thin coat in a week or two. See if this is just a drying problem. Given the circumstances maybe a water based matte would work better than one using xylene, since there'd be no chance that the fresh coat would thin and blend with the old one. Are there any good water based matte finishes out there? Honestly, escaping rattle cans would be splendid.

Maybe I'm doin' it wrong, but I've hit the things with several coats of matte varnish. (Specifically Testors dullcote.) It doesn't seem to be doing any further good at this point. I may hit it with another thin coat in a week or two. See if this is just a drying problem. Given the circumstances maybe a water based matte would work better than one using xylene, since there'd be no chance that the fresh coat would thin and blend with the old one. Are there any good water based matte finishes out there? Honestly, escaping rattle cans would be splendid.

I think your can may have run out of the matting agent i.e. Industrial Talc. Either that, or you haven't shaken the can enough? But I doubt it's the latter.

I use Liquitex Matt Varnish (in a bottle) to dull my minis down. I spray it on with an airbrush so I can actually "see" where I've applied it.... It goes on matt you see.

symphonicpoet":1rm0m8ag said:

Drop the spray cans and go for a brush on varnish. It's not acrylic but I use Revell matt varnish (store upside down and take the varnish from the underside of the lid) but everyone has their favourite.

N ice work! I must say that I think that is the first proper full Ramshackle Games model to appear on here! It is a fun model, I did not sculpt it.

I also really like the scenery.

symphonicpoet

^Suber, Optimus, and Curtis,

Thank you. I have really enjoy posting on this forum. You guys give great encouragement and provide some brilliant inspiration.

^Stone cold lead,

I'm thinking you're right about ditching the ball-bearing shake. Will have to look up Revell's varnish. I've built/bought a lot of their models over the years. Had no idea they make paint.

^Ramshackle_curtis,

That's the first straight up Ramshackle build? No way man! Seriously? I'd have sworn I posted your stuff here before myself and I figured sure Cheetor did, as I stole my interest in Ramshackle from him. . . . Anyway, Gorillagon's a great model and I'm glad to write about him. You and your colleagues do great work. I'll post more moving forward, as I've more in the cue.

Back