Thrud

Had to do a few photo's earlier and snapped this oldie while I was at it. Painted back around 2002. Bit shiney so I might matt that down sometime. I was on a real old school kick back then and made all the little plants and toadstools out of Milliput.

thrud.JPG

aggro84

Very cool!
Especially for a paintjob that's over ten years old!
:grin:
I kinda like him shiny.
Nice shrooms too.
Did you sculpt them yourself?

Just John

Lovely work, there is something so appealing about the Old Skool bases, is it because its what we all grew up on or is it something else.

On another note I have one of the other Thrud's only he's gone and lost his head - any spares out there? :grin:

Blue in VT

Wonderful...a great character and excellent paint as usual.

I can't help but think that it looks like he is talking on his sell phone while waiting for someone to smash with his axe... ;)

Cheers,

Blue

Naagruz

Great model & outstanding paint job! The 5 o'clock shadow is choice. One of my favorite Thruds.

Did you use Future on the skin for sheen or something else?

aggro84":2mus9jzx said:
Thanks for the info on the shrooms...
:grin:

Perhaps I should have expanded on that a little ;)

The stalks are just little pieces of rolled up putty left bulbous at one end (ooer...) and the caps are balls of putty pressed onto the rounded end of an old paint brush to form the shape. Let everything dry separately then drill a hole into the underside of the cap and glue it onto a stalk. I drilled into the base and glued them in place for stability.

Naagruz":2a5zwwhw said:
Great model & outstanding paint job! The 5 o'clock shadow is choice. One of my favorite Thruds.

Nah, it was the old matt varnish I used to use. It always dried with a sheen if you gave it a second coat. I didn't realise until I took the model out just how shiney that stuff was. Thing is I use the same brand today but I think they changed the formula at some point when I dropped out of the hobby.

I can't decide if shiney Thrud looks like he's oiled up or if the whole thing just looks like an ornament. :lol:

Naagruz

stone cold lead":2cbig8o1 said:
I can't decide if shiney Thrud looks like he's oiled up or if the whole thing just looks like an ornament. :lol:
The shiny enhances the bodybuilderness of Thrud. Seems fitting. ;)

Honestly, I find most folks overdue it on the matte finish for skin.

ardyer

stone cold lead":2wdwumpt said:
Naagruz":2wdwumpt said:

Nah, it was the old matt varnish I used to use. It always dried with a sheen if you gave it a second coat. I didn't realise until I took the model out just how shiney that stuff was. Thing is I use the same brand today but I think they changed the formula at some point when I dropped out of the hobby.

I think some shine on the skin is good for that reason. You might want to brush on some streaks of matte varnish to make the shine more uneven and more "realistic" looking as oil/sweat.

Back