Andrew's Oldhammer Project Log

ardyer

Re: Various Painted Stuff

Painting time's been limited of late, but I finished a dwarf fire-thrower team I got off of VintagePhreak a couple of months back. I've been looking for these guys (some what lazily) for years but never gotten by hands on any. I had originally intended to put more weathering on their faces, but I liked them pre-weathering so much that I decided not to risk ruining them!

Blue in VT

They look great! I love the charred end of the shooty part! Did you GS a connection on the tube between the two figures or is that a stock amount of tube? (insert Chico Comment here... :grin: )

Cheers,

Blue

ardyer

Blue in VT":w48xkxja said:
They look great! I love the charred end of the shooty part! Did you GS a connection on the tube between the two figures or is that a stock amount of tube? (insert Chico Comment here... :grin: )

Cheers,

Blue

Funny story about that...So I made a custom 40mmx20mm base out of two bases for them. After priming, I test fit the models so that they fit perfectly, and glued the front guy down and temporarily moved the back guy to a regular base. I painted them no problem, but when I went to attach the back guy to the base, they don't fit right. And no amount of jiggering would make them line up properly. So I just left them as is. So to answer your question, that's the stock tube.

Wait, that wasn't funny at all :lol:

ardyer

Harry":2j0xef92 said:
Very nice .... what did you use for the snow?

I mixed the Woodland Scenics snow with gloss varnish and applied as a paste. I think there is about three layers of it.

Blue in VT

ardyer":1oq2m3v1 said:
Blue in VT":1oq2m3v1 said:

Cheers,

Blue

Funny story about that...So I made a custom 40mmx20mm base out of two bases for them. After priming, I test fit the models so that they fit perfectly, and glued the front guy down and temporarily moved the back guy to a regular base. I painted them no problem, but when I went to attach the back guy to the base, they don't fit right. And no amount of jiggering would make them line up properly. So I just left them as is. So to answer your question, that's the stock tube.

Wait, that wasn't funny at all :lol:

Well it works just fine for me...I think I play this unit in every dwarf game I play...they kill themselves half the time...but that makes it fun!

Great work!

Blue

ardyer

Knocked out these three Dark Elf Crossbowmen this week (Thanks to Bug16 for sending them my way!):

I can't decide which shade of purple I prefer, What do y'all think?

aggro84

Nice work.
I love the red lips, makes them look creepy.
I like the bluer purple. The one on the left.
:grin:

ardyer

aggro84":1n8bxaj5 said:
Nice work.
I love the red lips, makes them look creepy.
I like the bluer purple. The one on the left.

Thanks, I'm hesitant to admit it, but I actually got the idea for the lips from this months White Dwarf :oops: It's just the red glaze applied straight from the jar. These are the first three, so I am still working a few kinks out of the schemes but I think I might tone down the red just a little bit on future models.

Naagruz

ardyer":1n21kvln said:
Heyer":1n21kvln said:
Nice paintjob,but in my opinion they look a litte bit gay with that red lips.

Well, they are Elves...

QFT :)

Actually, I'm sure the presentation is far different from a tabletop perspective. When ranked, they likely benefit even more from painted puckers.

phreedh

They look like homicidal transvestites, exactly what I've always thought Dark Elves to be. Very nice job! I like the darker purple best, but do a few more different shades too and have a mixed look.

ardyer":9rc8ryp3 said:
Finished this Ogre Captain last week:
ogre_zps941c0078.jpg

I used pigments to do the mud at the base, not entirely happy with the way it came out. My idea was an Ogre Captain looking across the battlefield after victory and surveying the carnage. The pics are a bit washed out, but I think I might should have taken the highlights on the flesh further.

My favourite Goodwin ogre. That is a great paint job, must trawl ebay for him and then shamelessly copy it. Well done!

aggro84

phreedh":2p250oqa said:
They look like homicidal transvestites, exactly what I've always thought Dark Elves to be. Very nice job! I like the darker purple best, but do a few more different shades too and have a mixed look.

This!
Still love the red lips.
I guess you can still get some good ideas from White Dwarf.
If I ever get my hands on some dark elves I am totally doing this effect!

Thantsants

The lips make them look extremely sinister - either that or like the Blue Meanies off of Yellow Submarine! ;)

... which I also found to be somewhat sinister!

Back