Wasteland Wanderers

Thantsants

Yes Sports Fans, welcome to the latest team, fresh in from the Darklands to start a new season - the Wasteland Wanderers!

100_1416_zpsbff7b118.jpg

You said it Bob! Well lets get right down to business. This bloodthirsty bunch are headed up by Star Linesman, Tuern Redvenom renowned for his low down dirty tricks and pathological hatred of pretty much all other living beings!

Yes Sirree Jim, that's one Elf with a whole lot of attitude! His team mates aren't much better. You don't want the ball if known assassin and ref-killer, Horkon Heartripper is on your tail...

100_1420_zps267d5ab9.jpg

You got that right Bob, he's a cold blooded killer alright, and the fans love him! Lets see about the rest of the team...

So I got my Dark Elf team finished and I'm quite happy with how they turned out - dark and evil with a splash of colour.

You may notice that I've recruited the old 1st ed(?) Dark Elf mini to be a Star Player and assassin from 3rd/4th ed. Tuern Redvenom may well become the star player, Hubris Rakarth, or at least use his stats. That's because these chaps will be facing off against the Golden Boars at the end of the month and we will be using the later rules set to play.

This means I'll be using these Catchers and Throwers as linemen -

100_1423_zps4c698710.jpg

... along wth these guys.

100_1431_zpscd34dfe1.jpg

The kicker on the end will become a Runner - supported here by three Blitzers

100_1422_zps39c10f71.jpg

Not forgetting the lovely ladies of the Wanderers' own Cheerleading Troupe - the Wastrelles.

100_1426_zps033c9c4f.jpg

Also on the cards will be a Witch Elf or two, possibly an actual Assassin (Marauder minis) and a wizard - shown here in an earlier WIP photo.

100_1279_zpsf384356a.jpg

Oh and I'd best paint up the old Astrogranite pitch too!

phreedh

Suitably funky colour scheme! =) I always loved Tuern Redvenom, glad to see him done up all good and proper! Nice job!

May I suggest you use the old 2nd edition basing colour scheme to better define what position your players are?

Red for blitzers, grey for linemen, green for blockers (moot point here), yellow for catchers and white for kickers/throwers.

So, in your case the blitzers would have red markings on the base, linemen grey, witch elves yellow (high agility, squishy - ie "catchers"). Leave the assassin's base black. Runner is a bit harder, but since DE don't have throwers any more I'd say go with white on him. It will make things a lot easier for you AND your opponent. =)

axiom

Nice looking team. The colours are great and the eye paint really makes them stand out! Just a shame (in my view) the Dark Elves don't compare well to Jes Goodwin's non-dark variety from the same era

bug16

Really like 'em. :)

Quick question, how are you painting their skin? The reason for asking is that I've not painted my DE army because I can't get the skin right but I like what you've done with yours! 8-)

Thantsants

Cheers Phreedh - glad you liked him. I might go back and add a little symbol in those colours to the side of the bases, although we'll be playing with the current edition of the Living Rulebook so I've just got Linesmen, Blitzers and a Runner to worry about along with the Star Players. I might want a bit of self flagellation in the form of a bit of 2nd ed in the future though ;)

Know what you mean Axiom - I'm not mad keen on the Catchers and the Linesmen are a bit static in pose. I do really like the Blitzers and the Kickers/Throwers - bit more characterful.

Bug - I went about the skin as I normally do with humans and goody two shoes Elves. Vallejo flat flesh base coat and highlights by mixing in Vallejo buff and a little white. I took the highlights a step further though and added a tiny smidgeon of blue and lots more white. To get a little shading back I did a wash with a very watered down mix of blue and a little brown ink. I finished off by cleaning up any of the flat areas of the face that looked a little muddy after the ink wash by reapplying the almost white highlights. It was all a bit trial and error but ended up alright I think as a more naturalistic nod to the blue skin which you see around.

Pil

Cool team Thantsants, I love the face paint as well. The whole colour scheme is rather nice, as you said: dark with a splash of colour. The first group of models I ever finished was a Dark Elf team (3rd edition) for Blood Bowl, so the team keeps a small special pace in my heart. I think my favourite model has to be the assassin, excellent choice! Good luck against the Golden Boars 8-)

Erny

Very nice choice of colours.

They look like a cross between the dark elves in Talisman of death and Kiss.

Thantsants

Cheers Pil - lets hope they don't prove too fragile against those human Blitzers and the Mighty Zug...

He looks rather good as an Assassin - and to think I had him pegged as a runner originally!

Thanks Erny. You know I still haven't got round to Talisman of Death yet - must hunt down a copy...

I was going to go with the classic line of paint across the upper cheek a la American football but as they're Dark Elves with more than a bit of Kiss about them it had to turn into some OTT eyeliner! :mrgreen:

bug16

Thantsants":1a8ys04n said:
Bug - I went about the skin as I normally do with humans and goody two shoes Elves. Vallejo flat flesh base coat and highlights by mixing in Vallejo buff and a little white. I took the highlights a step further though and added a tiny smidgeon of blue and lots more white. To get a little shading back I did a wash with a very watered down mix of blue and a little brown ink. I finished off by cleaning up any of the flat areas of the face that looked a little muddy after the ink wash by reapplying the almost white highlights. It was all a bit trial and error but ended up alright I think as a more naturalistic nod to the blue skin which you see around.

Many thanks for sharing your recipe! I'll give it a go when I get the paint delivered. :)

Back