My Oldbowl Rats!

axiom

Given the precedent set in the other great threads of Oldbowl minis, I thought I'd take advantage of a sunny morning to take some decent shots of my Skaven team which I finished last night - I still need to do some sideline figures, but I've got a 14-man playing squad completed after nearly a year of working on them!

The team's been a bit of an indulgence for me - to try and convert a unique team of Skaven, while keeping the look and feel of the fabulous 2nd edition Skaven by Jes Goodwin. I think roughly 40 figures have gone into converting up these 14!

Anyway, pics:

My thrower flanked by a pair of blitzers
Team1060313_zps84466dd1.jpg

My 6 linerats
Team2060313_zps8c3cd71a.jpg

Team3060313_zps472f39bd.jpg

My 4 gutter runners (or catchers if you're old school!)
Team4060313_zps2cf931cc.jpg

Team5060313_zps1c09bcd3.jpg

And finally a rat ogre (heavily converted from a non-GW figure)
Team6060313_zps825c8dcf.jpg

Hope you like them!

Chico

I really love these mate well done, i've got 1 negative though sorry to say.. and that's your Gutters/Catchers Gloves look like Oven Mits.

The super fat Linos are my favs though.

Cheers
Chico

axiom

Chico":2b33jxlu said:
your Gutters/Catchers Gloves look like Oven Mits.

They play with flaming balls in my league ;) Blame Jes Goodwin though - his design, not mine!

Ti Pouchon

Seen them on TFF already, have to say it again: These are great. Amazing, even. Nice choice of minis and poses, brilliant execution, stunning pj. The elf/catcher Gutter is my favourite, great pose!

DaImp

The second edition Skaven sculpts are one of, if not the best, Blood Bowl teams ever. The oven mitts are classic second edition. I absolutely love these guys, some subtle and excellent conversions make them unique but have really kept the feel of the team. Brilliant stuff :)

axiom

Thanks guys - glad you like them. It's been a fun project!

@Ti Pouchon - that gutter is actually made up of components from 6 different figures - it was very much a case of rumaging through the offcuts from the other conversions to make him, and actually I think he's ended up as my favourite!

@DaImp - I agree; oven mitts ARE classic ;)

@Blue - I wanted a scheme that really popped - I think the orange fits the bill.

Ti Pouchon

Even though I'm all out of superlatives after describing these, I just can't help but say it:
The Rat Ogre isn't doing it for me.

Several reasons:
- mutations: These are not cosmetic; those arms give +1 to catch rolls. Really? Who'd ever grow such an Ogre, I wonder. I don't mind cosmetic mutations but mutations on players who don't actually have those mutations - not a fan of that.
- plastic: That's not a metal mini, right? Unless my eyes are cheated by some spell.
- coherence: That's a team made up of Jes Goodwin sculpts. Jes Goodwin also did Ogres and Rat Ogres. Why use some entirely different mini?
- rules: As it stands, this team isn't "tourney legal" for any GW event, and it's all because of that Rat Ogre. I am very much in favour of taking Oldbowl and converted Oldhammer teams to GW tourneys, because it sends a message: we love the game, we love the old minis, we are not entirely happy with the way things have turned out or the way you're taking the business. And we won't buy finecast.
Ironically, the Rat Ogre sends this same message, but because he'll get banned from GW tourneys no-one will hear it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great (better than I can do) but I think it falls short of the high standard of excellence set by the rest of the team.

Harry

Wonderful team!
So much more interesting and fun than my straight from the box teams.
I love the tall guys at the start but favorite for me has to be the catchers.
Great stuff.

Back