Dwarfs + Gobbos + Elfs

Make us dream with all your oldhammer stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Re: Dwarfs + Gobbos + Elfs

Awesome looking bridge. Love the broken rail and detailing of the straps (jointing pieces) etc.

I agree that a decent grey/brown is the way to start with older, well worn timber. I would probably pull out my VMC Olive Drab, highlight up by adding paler neutral colours (old GW Komando Khahki or equivalent works really well) and build up depth with a variety of brown, black and even blue washes.Being by a river you could work green, algal growth in as well using ink + gloss medium.
Protist's Works Progressive: Paint-hammer in progress thread, hosted right here on the forums
Lead Hammer is my blog, charting a personal, wandering course through the world of miniatures
Unfortunately I have lost all my photos - since I let my old web-host lapse - I'll get them all back again sometime in the new year :roll:

Post Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:06 am

Excellent work - this is looking really good!

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:54 pm

So after much experiment I've decided to replace the balsa wood with a plasticard alternative. This is mainly due to the porous nature of the wood which has really screwed up my attempts to paint it. So while waiting for more supplies I got on with painting the base. My normal approach to stone is grey with some drybrushing and then a few washes of black/grey and maybe a wash or two of brown/green. With this I spent extra time painting each stone a mixture of grey and either a yellow/green/brown colour just to break up the overall area. I'm planning on adding the water so it just reaches below where the tufts have been placed.

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:04 pm

Lovely stones! Have you tried giving the wooden bridge a varnish spray to seal it and then working on top of that? A matt is best.

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:55 pm

For painting onto balsa you need to seal the surface first. The stuff I use, Perkins Hi-Grade Sanding Sealer, (UK example) is marketed for model makers, but if you pick some sanding sealer up at a hardware shop make sure it doesn't contain wax - those are for providing a polish-able finish and won't hold paint!

Also, being cellulose based it dries fast and doesn't raise the grain to the same extent that water based products would - I've tried using cheap WHSmith's acrylics before and it gets a little soggy and messy.
Protist's Works Progressive: Paint-hammer in progress thread, hosted right here on the forums
Lead Hammer is my blog, charting a personal, wandering course through the world of miniatures
Unfortunately I have lost all my photos - since I let my old web-host lapse - I'll get them all back again sometime in the new year :roll:

Post Sun May 03, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks for the balsa wood suggestions but I ended up going for plasticard as I knew what I could do with that.

So I had actually painted up the wood pillars and began to pour the Still Water but sadly it ended in disaster. Not only did I pour too much in causing it to crack but it also seeped into the sand and filler base turning it in to a gloopy mess. So I've had to scrape away the water and some of the base and re-do it !!! So its now second time lucky. I've redone all the work and thought I'd post some pictures before I try the pour again.

A quick thanks to 'ardyer' for the suggestion of paint for wood very helpful.

Close-up

Obviously I still need to paint up the top of bridge but its ready for the water. This time I've decided to try woodlandscenics E-Z water as it can be poured in one go compared to the Still Water which can only be done in 2mm depths.

Post Sun May 03, 2015 5:32 pm

Write, those looks great! Love the rusty effects.

And I'm glad you liked bastion grey :D

Post Sun May 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Really cool, like them.
But you do know that Hashut is the only real dwarf god???

Post Fri May 15, 2015 3:32 pm

So I tried E-Z water next but I was concerned with the fact you had to heat it to turn it into a liquid, I was worried it might melt my plastic. Also you could only colour it with dry fabric dye so not ideal for me. After more searching I found a product called Deluxe Materials Solid Water which is a 2 part resin. Its more expensive and I only got 90ml which was just enough for my needs, but I was able to add paint to create a nice green/brown water. On to the results.

You can see in the second picture lots of small air bubbles in the resin I think this was down to me mixing it too roughly so I would definitely do this differently next time around. Another area is along the top where I ended you having to remove a lip of the resin, I don't think this was down to shrinking but to the fact that after I poured in the resin it started to slowly leak in several places, which resulted in the overall level dropping slightly coursing the lip. Next time I would not only try to do a better job of stopping any leaks but I would also cut the barrier to the height I wanted the resin to be that way I could pour right to the top and hopefully that would stop this happening.

Post Fri May 15, 2015 4:20 pm

Despite the minor issues you noted it still looks fantastic!

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/
PreviousNext

Return to Showroom