Dwarfs + Gobbos + Elfs

Make us dream with all your oldhammer stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: Dwarfs + Gobbos + Elfs

Began work on the horses, going for a dapple grey/white look. Working on my first horse and using it as a test piece to work out how I'm going to get the right effect. So far some things have worked as I'd hoped some less so. But as a starting point I'm happy so I'll finish this one off and hopefully by then I will iron out all the problems for painting the rest.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:36 pm

dazza36 wrote:Began work on the horses, going for a dapple grey/white look. Working on my first horse and using it as a test piece to work out how I'm going to get the right effect. So far some things have worked as I'd hoped some less so. But as a starting point I'm happy so I'll finish this one off and hopefully by then I will iron out all the problems for painting the rest.

Looks beautiful! I'd love to know how you go about it as i've been longing to give my Reaver Knights some dappled horses to ride. Keep up the good work :D

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:42 pm

That's looking pretty sweet. I was thinking of going for the same dapple grey look on some my elf/Melnibonean horses. Is that stippling you've used there?

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:02 pm

Love that effect. Are you going for a mix of horse colours or all dapple grey?

Either way this makes for a stunning unit.
Painting Lessons Available - http://www.dbpaintworkshop.co.uk/

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:23 pm

stone cold lead wrote:That's looking pretty sweet. I was thinking of going for the same dapple grey look on some my elf/Melnibonean horses. Is that stippling you've used there?

I started with white, then added the grey areas and whilst still wet I simply used a wet brush to blend the grey into the white. Then when dry I went back with white for the spots, again using water to blend them in, finally when that was dry I brought out some of the spots by painted pure white in the centre of them. The idea is to recreate the look of real horses where some spots are more defined then others.

Darkblade wrote:Love that effect. Are you going for a mix of horse colours or all dapple grey?

Either way this makes for a stunning unit.

Part of my likes the idea of a mixture, but keeping them all roughly the same will have more visual impact. So to answer your question all dapple grey moving towards all white.

Spent this afternoon finishing off the horse. Happy with the outcome and know where I came make changes to hopefully look better. My only slight concern is with the green strap and I might revisit it and add another colour and/or some sort of design to it.

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:16 am

VERY nice indeed. ;-)
Painting Lessons Available - http://www.dbpaintworkshop.co.uk/

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:34 pm

Have begun work on rider and will hopefully be able to finish off this test piece within the next couple of days (weather permitting).

I'm happy with the outcome so far. Some areas need more work that others but its going the right way, just not sure about the gems on the elf as I'm not totally convinced they are meant to be gems but instead just metal. Anyway I can always go back and re-do if I decide to.

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:13 am

Love them am, all especially the Dwarfs.

The horse was saved to learn from it.

Carry on with your great work!

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:09 am

You can never go wrong with gems on elves. Especially when you paint them so well :D

Post Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:39 pm

I've started work on 3 more horses. Looking at the original I felt that the white/grey was too flat and just didn't look that great. So after some thinking I tried adding a very small amount of dark blue to the greys and hey presto it did just what I wanted it to do. The horses are still grey/white but now there's a nice tonal change which just looks more natural. Anyway have a look at the next 3 and I think you can see the difference between them and the original.

PreviousNext

Return to Showroom