Dwarfs + Gobbos + Elfs

Make us dream with all your oldhammer stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Re: Dwarfs Dwarfs Dwarfs + Gobbos

So the days are getting shorter and a lot greyer in good old Blighty. Which for me means a major reduction in my painting as I can't get the hang of painting with daylight bulbs. To this end all my major projects are put on hold until next year. So this is the perfect time to paint up something alternative to my dwarfs and goblins and to this end I've got my hands on a few Dark elf and Wood/High elf. Just enough to keep me going over the next few months. Anyway completed the first 2 today so thought I'd post a photo (poor picture due to poor light).

Wood Elf

Dark Elf

The wood elf was really enjoyable to paint, the Dark elf not so much. I found the dark elf too cluttered with detail which left me scratching my head as to what some of it was. Both models gave me the chance to experiment with different flesh colours. I feel the dark elf flesh ended up too blue for my taste, I was hoping for something more grey/blue. But that's the good thing about these small projects they give me the chance to try out different things which can in the long run help me with my other work.

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:38 pm

They both look great but I must say that the Wood elf looks top shelf. I've really found a fondness for the Goodwin Woodies myself...I really look forward to getting into a Wood Elf project soon.

...But since you are way more productive than me I'm going to have fun watching yours progress... 8-)

Cheers,

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Simply breathtaking. Very well done.

Post Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Well I didn't end up taking that much of a break from my beloved Dwarfs ! just a single figure but something I really needed to paint up before the grey winter days moved in. You can see my first version on page 1 which is painted up to be a copy of the old combat card. This one was made so I could make a tutorial for anyone interested in making their own. Anyway I've painted him up in my Throng colours so that he can join the growing ranks.

For anyone interested in how he was made here's the LINK

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:22 am

Finished off my wolf riders (finally). Originally I used brighter colours for the goblin rags but when I put them all together I realised it just looked wrong, so some of the older painted figures have had a small re-touch to bring the whole thing back to a much darker dirty feel. Saying that I kept the red just to break things up a bit. I've tried to give each rank the same weapon combo and base effect, spear and bow have broken pillar whereas the hand weapon rank has rusted armour, skull and shield

Group shot

Trying to show off the bases

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:08 pm

That unit is kinda small, dontcha think? :lol:

Looks great!

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Fantastic unit of Goblins!
Image ImageImageImage

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:56 pm

That's quite the unit!
Great paint on the best Citadel wolfriders with no duplicates. Trifecta!
Nice use of the snotling hornblower. :D
Krell had a sword...

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:07 pm

First off I've just realised I never posted a picture of my Throng that I've managed to get painted up so far. So here you go...

Now like many I'm forever buying more figures than I will ever really have time to paint and this normally cause's me problems with half finished units quickly forgotten by newer purchases. Which leads me to this...

It started off with a couple of wood elves, and then I got my hands on an attack chariot, and then I came across a picture of these cavalry and I knew I must have some!!! Its taken some time and patience but I've got there and more are on there way. I must say that after stripping the terrible paint job off them, they really are some amazing sculpts.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Some really inspiring stuff here.
It is all quality work, but seeing the Dwarf Throng all together with that basing is the highlight for me.
Superb!
:D

I sympathise with the earlier 'if only' comments.
I really wish that I had kept everything that I had in the '80's, but don't we all?
PreviousNext

Return to Showroom