Dwarfs + Gobbos + Elfs

Ketil Trout

So much great stuff here, obviously I love your wolfriders, but would also love to see the attack chariot finished. It's a model I have always admired, and your dwarves are great too.

dazza36

So I've got back into the whole painting recently and have been spending my free time slowly painting away on my orcs, but as much as I love them my first love is for my dwarfs which you can see on the first couple of pages . So I've been wondering lately how to get back into painting them but 2 things have held me back. Firstly my painting style has changed slightly and improved so I worry that anything new wouldn't fit with those I've already painted and secondly and more importantly I've fallen out of love with the colour scheme. So I've decided to take a radical step and I'm going to repaint the lot !!! The dragons company is already in the Dettol! So the question is am I mad ?

Tanath

Your dwarfs look fantastic mate :)

I have finally got around to painting the Bugmans I bought of you all that time ago and loving it!

Looking forward to seeing more.

Plaiecivile

Pure madness indeed ;)

Why not try a new color scheme on a new "parallel" project, like the army of the king's cousin? Of course that implies buying more miniatures... :grin:

Do as you wish, but I say your actual "old" dwarf army is very nice as is!

WARHAMSTER

I've recently had the same issue with my undead army. For some reason I had chose a yellow colour scheme for half the army and a red colour scheme for the other half. I also didn't like the lack of depth and colour variation that I had painted the bone and rotting flesh.

Faced with stripping and repainting a couple of hundred skeletons and zombies, I found it easier simply painting over the offending colour scheme and using glazes to add depth and colour to the simplistic flesh and bone.

Hope this helps your quandary!

dazza36

Cheers for all the suggestions.

I guess it comes down for me that in order to get on with painting I need to be motivated and the fact is as much as I loved the idea of having a uniformed dwarf throng I've fallen out of love with actually painting it! This was probably one of the reasons I stopped painting a few years ago. The orcs I painted up recently has given me back my mojo and although I still have plenty of them to paint, for me my first love is always my dwarfs so I wanted to get back to painting them. Will I be stripping the ones I've painted ? perhaps but luckily I have plenty in reserve before I get to that point. Yes my dragons company is being stripped but they were only 90% complete so I don't feel so guilty!

Anyway started work on a few just to test out a few things but have already been slightly distracted by painting up heater shields for them. So its only a small update but here are some shields I've been working on. My main goal at this point is to work out designs, but I also want them to be damaged so been working out that. I think it works on some but not so much on others but as I said its all work in progress and I have loads of shields so plenty in reserve while the one I don't like head to the Dettol.

xoqt4x.jpg

ardyer

Those shields are amazing!

And to be honest, I think oldhammer armies look best in a non-uniform state. I say keep your rigid color schemes for 4th edition and later!

dazza36

Painted up the first of my test subjects and I definitely feel happy with my decision to go for unique colour schemes for each one.

Quick quiz can anyone tell me where I got the design for the last dwarf (white/black) hint its from a film (1970's)

2qsny4x.jpg

s3hqpg.jpg

k90rm.jpg

15xwy02.jpg

dazza36

Cheers Ardyer I'm really enjoying painting dwarfs again.

Anyway I did ask if anyone could tell where I got the idea for the last dwarf. So for anyone interested it came from a film called Robin and Marian and a bit part character in it. I definitely think there is a similarity between the 2 mainly down to the scale mail and the moustache. Here's the only images I could find but you get the point.

1z14pau.jpg

2zemn8y.jpg

ardyer

dazza36":lff8snhh said:
Cheers Ardyer I'm really enjoying painting dwarfs again.

Anyway I did ask if anyone could tell where I got the idea for the last dwarf. So for anyone interested it came from a film called Robin and Marian and a bit part character in it. I definitely think there is a similarity between the 2 mainly down to the scale mail and the moustache. Here's the only images I could find but you get the point.

1z14pau.jpg

2zemn8y.jpg
I've never seen that movie, which is odd because my father loved it and talked about it not-infrequently

dazza36

@ardyer : Its a good film and a nice twist on the usual Robin Hood story

@Tuskerton : Cheers I'm not totally happy with them but I can't do any better LOL

Right painted up another 3. The first 2 I really wanted to tie them together due to the fact its basically the same figure! So I went for the same design and colours just reversed on one. I like the idea that they are twins or brothers. The 3rd was the first attempt to go for a more intricate design (for me LOL) I'm happy with the outcome so plan to try more tricky design when possible. So hope you like

2cehff8.jpg

k9fc3k.jpg

2vuyrgp.jpg

dazza36

Cheers guys comments are always appreciated.

Right painted up 3 more and based all 10 of them. Have to say I really enjoyed painting them up and loved it every time I finished one of them, but to see all 10 of them together has been a real joy and made me so happy I've decided to go for this look with my dwarfs. I will definitely be carrying on with this scheme and have already began stripping some of my previous painted models. Anyway on with the photos hope you like...

Individual photos
rm42df.jpg

30w1ow7.jpg

2yngllt.jpg

Rows
2d6taur.jpg

2qxqhvr.jpg

Complete Unit
es94t0.jpg

Next I'll be trying to finally finish off my Man-Mangler but you may have to wait to see that as my computer is dying on me so need to save up for a new one LOL

Micha

Excellent painting, the Colors are well-Chosen and the shield designs look suitably "authentic" to my eyes. Besides, seing imperial dwarves painted up is always a joy.

Back