Dwarfs + Gobbos + Elfs

dazza36

Began work on the horses, going for a dapple grey/white look. Working on my first horse and using it as a test piece to work out how I'm going to get the right effect. So far some things have worked as I'd hoped some less so. But as a starting point I'm happy so I'll finish this one off and hopefully by then I will iron out all the problems for painting the rest.

dazza36":miil4z7g said:
Began work on the horses, going for a dapple grey/white look. Working on my first horse and using it as a test piece to work out how I'm going to get the right effect. So far some things have worked as I'd hoped some less so. But as a starting point I'm happy so I'll finish this one off and hopefully by then I will iron out all the problems for painting the rest.

Looks beautiful! I'd love to know how you go about it as i've been longing to give my Reaver Knights some dappled horses to ride. Keep up the good work :grin:

That's looking pretty sweet. I was thinking of going for the same dapple grey look on some my elf/Melnibonean horses. Is that stippling you've used there?

Darkblade

Love that effect. Are you going for a mix of horse colours or all dapple grey?

Either way this makes for a stunning unit.

dazza36

stone cold lead":3eemuuw5 said:
That's looking pretty sweet. I was thinking of going for the same dapple grey look on some my elf/Melnibonean horses. Is that stippling you've used there?

I started with white, then added the grey areas and whilst still wet I simply used a wet brush to blend the grey into the white. Then when dry I went back with white for the spots, again using water to blend them in, finally when that was dry I brought out some of the spots by painted pure white in the centre of them. The idea is to recreate the look of real horses where some spots are more defined then others.

Darkblade":3eemuuw5 said:
Love that effect. Are you going for a mix of horse colours or all dapple grey?

Either way this makes for a stunning unit.

Part of my likes the idea of a mixture, but keeping them all roughly the same will have more visual impact. So to answer your question all dapple grey moving towards all white.

Spent this afternoon finishing off the horse. Happy with the outcome and know where I came make changes to hopefully look better. My only slight concern is with the green strap and I might revisit it and add another colour and/or some sort of design to it.

dazza36

Have begun work on rider and will hopefully be able to finish off this test piece within the next couple of days (weather permitting).

I'm happy with the outcome so far. Some areas need more work that others but its going the right way, just not sure about the gems on the elf as I'm not totally convinced they are meant to be gems but instead just metal. Anyway I can always go back and re-do if I decide to.

dazza36

I've started work on 3 more horses. Looking at the original I felt that the white/grey was too flat and just didn't look that great. So after some thinking I tried adding a very small amount of dark blue to the greys and hey presto it did just what I wanted it to do. The horses are still grey/white but now there's a nice tonal change which just looks more natural. Anyway have a look at the next 3 and I think you can see the difference between them and the original.

dazza36

One down plenty to go.

Close up

Thanks to the people who gave me the shields I needed, the one shown is the first of many I will be making for this project.

Blue in VT

Stunning as always mate! the muted palette lets you focus on the wonderfully dynamic poses these Cav have and ensure that the little touches (gems etc) really pop. Great inspiration!

Cheers,

Blue

dazza36

Still waiting for my basing supplies and shinny metal paint to arrive and as I like to base my models and then finish them off I've hit a brick wall. However I've nearly finished another 3 so thought I'd post a few pictures.

The 3 new cavalry

Close up

Group shot

Continuing the muted colour scheme I've moved away from red and gone for a brownish/red colour instead. Hopefully it will work when it comes to recreating Mike McVey's standard from his army. I had real trouble with the guy with no helmets face as there's not that much detail so he will definitely be hiding I the back somewhere.

dazza36

Finally got my hands on my basing supplies and have been able to do a couple of test pieces. I'm using Gale Force 9 flock plus some of their clump foliage for the bases, the flock is like finely shredded sponge and the clump foliage is again sponge like but not so fine, so good for creating bigger areas.

The one on the left is just the flock, I began with the darkest colour and worked up to the lightest. It took several goes to get a nice look. With the right side one I started with the clump foliage which gave a nice height to the base and then using the flock I repeated what I did on the other one. I like the results so now that's out of the way I can get on with finishing off the first 4.

Blue in VT

Those bases look great! I will probably do something similar with my WEs...possibly with the addition of some of the little leaf/seed thingies to give a bit of woodland fell to it.

I look forward to seeing some of those on your superb Cav!

Cheers,

Blue

dazza36

@Blue in VT: Sadly I've been unable to buy any Birch seeds to use as leaves but I do walk past several everyday at work so I'm just going to have to wait until there ready to drop !!!

@Harry: I'm glad you like the horses. I must admit I was very apprehensive about painting the horses but not only did they come out well they were also rather easy to paint.

Cap'n Smyrk

Looking good, the bases are shaping up nicely.

Always wished I had some of those Elf cavalry but I definitely can't afford to start collecting fantasy armies as well... :lol:

Cap'n Smyrk

dazza36

I've finally completed the first 4 that I started so long ago, it was only a case of basing and putting a shield on them but seems to have taken for ages (damn you real life !!). Originally I painted the shields just green but felt that as I wanted to go for a green/red colour scheme I needed to work red into the shields as well. I toyed around with various designs but in the end went for a very simple stripe, this has had the positive effect of bringing a nice uniformity to them even though I've gone for 3 styles of shield.

I've also started on my standard bearer, the rider is still a work in progress but the horse in done. For the horse I went for one of my rarer horses and also changed up the basic colour scheme to try and make him stand out from the others. As for the actual banner I've rolled out the greenstuff so just need to work on the design. As I've stated I'd like to work on the original Mike McVey design and that's still the plan but I will need to tweak the colours as his cavalry had a red/green/white scheme whereas I'm just going for red/green. Anyway hope you like .

Back