Dwarfs + Gobbos + Elfs

dazza36

So I originally posted some of my work over in Painting & Modelling section, but have decided to start again over here in the Showroom. This will be mainly be my attempts to get as much of my Dwarf Throng painted up as possible. Over the years since I got back into painting I have struggled with the final look I was going for. This has mainly focused on the style of base/theme, shields and the actual finished paint scheme. For this year I decided to finally make up my mind and stick with it and just get a bloody move on. To this end and after much trail and error I managed to get a shield that I was happy with and reach a conclusion to both my bases and paint scheme.

Originally I went with a simple earth/tuff base, went with a rather muted yellow/green throng colour and used GW shields. However I firstly had to deal with GW removing the shields I needed, eventually I was able find a nice replacement from Foundry. I was never totally happy with the usual base style and after many a dead end I came up with the idea of a destroyed/looted/abandoned Dwarf Hold. This was achieved once I found a company called WILLS which make scenery for model railways and do a great range of stone flooring. Finally my Throng colour was yellow/green and I went with a muted highlight which looked nice but photo'd terribly, so after painting nearly 100 I changed my mind and went back and highlighted with much brighter colours. So now on to the pictures.

This first picture is a perfect example of my original work. Simple base and muted colours.

Now here's where I'm at after a few years.

And finally a little side project he doesn't really fit in with my theme but I loved doing him.

So there you go hope you like. I'll be honest this topic will probably not get updated that often as I will only (probably) post completed units.

Re: Dwarfs Dwarfs Dwarfs

Masterful stuff there good sir!

As a Dwarf collector myself, you have again inspired me to continue my large retinue - or at least progress with the Ironbreakers of yore.

Lovely colour scheme there - and that last one - does that mean you'll have dwarf allies from the fire mountain joining soon?

Jaeckel

Always a pleasure to see your dwarves, Dazza. The only thing I have some doubts on is the broken columns on the bases of your gyros: IMO they're too white with respect to the pavement: there should be dirt and moss on them to stick with the theme of the lost stronghold.

Great looking army and the unit of gyrocopters is pretty damn stunning as I've never seen that many in one place before.

dazza36

Thanks guys.

@Bluey Zarzov : Its no to allies, I can get slightly bored of painting the same thing (green/yellow) so have in the past I've dabbled with goblins and skaven. Lately its been trying to recreate the dwarfs that inspired me the first time around. So that guy was my attempt to recreate Gomrund Tallhelm from the old Combat cards and I've also painted up a dwarf version from one of the first White Dwarfs I ever read, a brilliant step by step guide from WD99. Which you can see here (red one)

@Jaeckel: Its that old problem of not being able to take decent photos. In real life they are no way near as white as in the photo and they also have several washes of green/grey and brown to give them that dirty look but you'll just have to take my word for that !!!

dazza36

Now I was going to just post completed units but can't resist showing some photos of the command group I've painted up for the next unit (crossbow). The banner is made from greenstuff with a simple design on it which is carried over on to the drum.

Whitesun

Nice work! Now I know where all the gyros went...
I'm assuming you snipped the tabs off and pinned them onto the bases? Are the bases resin, or self made? Cheers!

dazza36

@Whitesun: The bases are made from sheets of plastic by a company called WILLS. There designed for railway modelling but work perfectly for gaming.

So the unit is finished. Next up will either be yet more dwarfs or maybe I'll move over to my little band of goblins that have been over looked for far to long. Anyway hope you like.

Bane

Lovely work, I always have a soft spot for these old dwarfs. Love the simplicty of the movement trays too, draws ones attention to the superb paint jobs.

Nico

Hey Dazza !! That's the first time i see your Dwarfs collection, full of nice models and your choices colors are good. Your gyrocopters squadron is so cooool, respect.
Wings on helmet too.
Nico.

dazza36

Re: Dwarfs Dwarfs Dwarfs + Gobbos

Ok so I'm done with dwarfs (for a while) and have been turned to the greenside, specifically early Kev Adams goblins 1989 period. I have in the past painted up a small collection of these gorgeous models as a little side project whenever I got bored of the dwarfs. Anyway I've decided to try and get my wolf riders all painted up. So I give you my first 7 these ones are my archers, which leaves only 14 more. Some of which basically painted up but just need a bit of touching up. So here you go.

And here's a few photos of some earlier painted gobbos

King Arthur

Dazza, I'm lovin' the banner from the Wolf Rider "Lupus Weiss" - White Wolves, what material is the actual banner made from?

Cheers

Gary

Bane

That's my favourite marauder troll and that's a great paint job, I especially like the purple bottom lip contrasting with the green skin. Great base too, is the pillar from a wedding cake decoration?

Elfmaster

Very nicely painted figures - the first page had me nearly postponing my new Orc and Goblin project to search for any old Dwarfs I might have - the second page had me regretting not grabbing the old Goblin figures when I traded up a horde of Forest Goblins and Night Goblins.

Looking forward to future posts - for inspiration for my new project :)

dazza36

King Arthur":qr9v7hi6 said:
Dazza, I'm lovin' the banner from the Wolf Rider "Lupus Weiss" - White Wolves, what material is the actual banner made from?

Cheers

Gary

The banner is made from greenstuff. Simply roll out to the right thickness and then place over something round to get the curve (I use pens) and leave to harden. Whilst that's going off I cut out the banner shape from paper to use as a template for when greenstuff has hardened. Then steal design form very old White Dwarf and hey presto !!!

Bane":qr9v7hi6 said:
That's my favourite marauder troll and that's a great paint job, I especially like the purple bottom lip contrasting with the green skin. Great base too, is the pillar from a wedding cake decoration?

Mine too. The pillar is made from Milliput and Instant Mold. I managed to find an Ebay seller who had resin pillars, so I have one of those from which I can make the mold with the Instant Mold and the its a simple case of filling the mold with Milliput. The reason for doing all this is Milliput is easier to break than resin.

Elfmaster":qr9v7hi6 said:
Very nicely painted figures - the first page had me nearly postponing my new Orc and Goblin project to search for any old Dwarfs I might have - the second page had me regretting not grabbing the old Goblin figures when I traded up a horde of Forest Goblins and Night Goblins.

Looking forward to future posts - for inspiration for my new project :)

That's the problem with collecting old/Oop stuff its always a case of 'IF ONLY'. Anyway glad you like.

dazza36

And the last of my completed wolf riders. First up a command group and secondly the first 3 of the next row.

Back