A slowly growing Waaagh!

Mophus

Wonderful! How long do you need to finish one miniature? The feathering on the face and clothes must be very time consuming?

Tex

Mophus":1zeacxka said:
Wonderful! How long do you need to finish one miniature? The feathering on the face and clothes must be very time consuming?

:oops: :oops: :oops:
about two years each

painting about 2,5-3hr/day when possible.

My technique is undoubtedly very time consuming, as getting smooth transitions even on the most obscure details is imperative for me, but the main problem is the fact that I often go back to parts that I should consider "done" in order to improve them (and I regularly redo them completely :roll: ).

Tex

Hello all
Some pics of a Ruglud's trooper I'm about to finish (shield and base left to do):
IMG-20210823-115914-692.jpg

IMG-20210823-115914-729.jpg

IMG-20210823-115914-743.jpg

IMG-20210823-115914-882.jpg

IMG-20210823-115914-907.jpg

IMG-20210823-115914-919.jpg

IMG-20210823-115914-924.jpg

IMG-20210823-115914-928.jpg

Being an obsessed psycho, I've already redone the halberd staff, which looked quite bland at the time these pics were taken.

The free-hand wooden effect on the back of the shield, by my standards very easy and quick to do (different colour hues are de rigueur with all oldhammery wooden things, of course :grin: ):
IMG-20210827-235329-884.jpg

IMG-20210827-WA0013.jpg

I'm now working on the free-hand grotesque face on the front:
IMG-20210827-235330-029.jpg

This is my first ever proper free-hand work, but I must say it's quite enjoyable and I've already made some good progress...hope to be able to show you something new quite soon.

cheers

Loose Loser

It's very nice to see your painting skills and one could want to paint like that but when I grab one of those shields or minis, I really wonder where do you even find space for blending colours. Beautiful! Shield, head, that sleeve for sword and that bag and I like that knee pad, looks really dirty.

Tex

Loose Loser":29xofis5 said:
It's very nice to see your painting skills and one could want to paint like that but when I grab one of those shields or minis, I really wonder where do you even find space for blending colours. Beautiful! Shield, head, that sleeve for sword and that bag and I like that knee pad, looks really dirty.

Thank you very much for your appreciation!
Don't know if it's a personal thing, but when I focus on a mini to start a painting session, it seems that my eyes turn into a sort of "macro" mode: space on the mini dilates and blending becomes a necessity for me, as I feel I couldn't stand harsh transitions :roll:
I'm not entirely satisfied with how the mini has turned out in these pics: they're a little dark, rust and leather look desaturated and in person the metals have more "interesting" hues...hope to take better pics of the finished mini in the next few weeks ;)

Tex

I've made some good progress with the shield, as I've just finished the freehand face (my first "proper" freehand painting, really!)
I'm quite pleased with the result: a little too cartoony, maybe...I'd prefer it to look more grimdark, but, as I improvised and did not any preparatory sketches, I can't complain too much now.
IMG-20210915-021249.jpg

IMG-20210915-021258.jpg

IMG-20210915-021305.jpg

IMG-20210915-021312.jpg

Just the rim left: I'm planning to paint it as if it was made of bronze in order to get a good contrast between the oxide and the face.

I've started to work on the base, as well:
IMG-20210915-021446.jpg

IMG-20210915-021458.jpg

I used a lot of washes, oils and pigments, but most of the work done could be considered superfluous, as I plan to add lots of moss and leaves.

EricF

Administrator
Wow. I'd been meaning to post to say the skin on the Orc was stunning - I just love the extra detail you've painted in place. I'm looking at same model (granted painted by a very young me) and it's just amazing to see how much you've added. I almost posted it for comical comparison! One day I'll have a second pass, if the lead pile is ever exhausted!

Personally I think a little whimsy in the shield is perfect for Warhammer, whimsy and the grotesque I always felt were a core feel of the old world. Again stunning painted details - do you paint canvases as well as miniatures out of curiosity?

The base, now you're just being mean ;) Pah even bases that look better than my miniatures! :) Seriously though you've got a lovely depth of colour there to the underlying browns.

All massively inspirational work.

Tex

Thank you both for your appreciation :grin:

@EricF: no, I've never painted canvas; when I was a kid I liked drawing (I used to just copy something I liked, such as dinosaurs illustrations, cars, famous paintings or ancient artefacts). This shield has been my very first try at freehand painting and I must say I got to the end without too much hassle: I just used some reference pics as a guide to define the face elements and took my time to create some wrinkles (if you are on IG check the work of koltti on the excellent limumworks shields, they're truly excellent).

Tex

Brandydog":17zhuxbx said:
This is really amazing. Is that banner painted on?? I can't imagine how you would get such precision

Thanks!
Do you mean the banner in the OP? I took the easy way and cut an illustration out from an old WD... :oops:

Tex

@twistedmoon
Thank you!

Shield is now finished: I opted for a weathered bronze effect, with various kinds of oxidation.
Here it is temporarily placed where it belongs (the stud on the orc still needs some trimming):
IMG-20210916-235317.jpg

Tonight I'm gonna start adding vegetation to the base...

Tex

0ni0n":2tprl6r7 said:
Love that the middle finger is ungloved, not sure I ever noticed that on this sculpt before :lol:

You didn't noticed because this one is slightly different :grin:
I had the idea of the finger when a fellow enthusiast on Instagram expressed his perplexity about the glove on the Ruglud's halberdiers: they clearly look to wear a glove on the right hand (it starts on their wrists), but their fingers look bare: they're slim, very defined and you can clearly see the nails at the end.
Therefore I decided to solve the issue covering the fingers in GS, but one, as a little joke.

Back