A slowly growing Waaagh!

Tex

:grin:
You're too kind
The downside is that it takes about two years (I hope!) to paint a f*cking 80s orc none would look twice.
Once the turquoise tunic will be finished, I hope things will speed up.
But then there will be the base...

Tex, me and other people on here are gladly looking at your 80’s Orcs more than twice. They’re stunning so I hope your latest project is going well.

Tex

Johnny, that's very kind from you.

Unfortunately, despite my constant effort, during the last two months I have not made a single step ahead! I don't know exactly why, but I keep on running aground on the tunic.
It probably depends on my painting style (using a lot of nearly trasparent and thin layers of paint), but I'm having difficulties in finishing the left shoulder/sleeve properly: differently from the back of the tunic, you can observe the shoulder from many different points of view (above, front, side, back) and I always end up with a smooth shade transition from a single POV, but not from all of them: even if the part looks perfectly shaded (deep dirty blue -> turquoise -> almost pure bleached bone) from above, when I watch it from the side or the back I see irregular patches of the darkest tones showing through the highlights and any correction I make spoils the effect from the original POV, and so on.

As in the next few days I'll be off work, I hope to have some painting time and overcome the empasse.

Happy new year to all of you.

Tex

Left shoulder done:
IMG-20200108-003731.jpg

IMG-20200108-003726.jpg

IMG-20200108-003720.jpg

Tex

Hello
The persisting forced quarantine definitely sped things up for me and "Tuerto" Rottin Hood (as it's unreleased, I've taken the liberty to name it freely), so I'm leaving a couple of wip shots here:

WIP-Back.jpg

WIP-Front.jpg

Since I took the pics, I finished the bow - which now looks not that different: I've just painted the right half and emphasized some wood blemishes - and nearly finished the fur on the quiver: in the next few days I will take on the arrows, touch up the metals, add the bow string, spread some mud on the boots and call it done, at last.
But the base will take some more time :roll:

Stay safe, guys (and gals, of course ;) )

Tex

Thanks for your appreciation, guys
I know the colours are kinda gaudy for an orc, but I felt a little bored from painting browns and metals only

"Tuerto" is done now, apart from the string for its bow and the base:
Finito.jpg

Finito-2.jpg

Finito-4.jpg

Finito-5.jpg

Base WIP:
Basetta-wip.jpg

Basetta-wip-2.jpg

Tex

It's a natural root:I just added some smaller ones as branches and roots with the help of some GS

Tex

If you're willing to browse this thread, you'll find an early wip pic of the base:the bulk of it consists in bits of cork layers, which I sprinkled some real soil, little stones and some coffee on; the "large" rock which supports the tree is a piece of bark resembling a rock facade.
I tend to use as many natural elements as I can, often inspired by nature itself: I usually spend most of my holidays in the home village of my family, which is literally "buried" in the woods and this allow me to discover and test a lot of natural elements to use as basing material.
As an example, I recently found some little "things" resembling birch cones, but smaller:I'm testing if the little seeds you obtain crushing them can be a realistic substitute for dead beech leaves (I'm painting the Tuerto's tree as a beech, BTW), as to me all the ready made leaves or the ones you can obtain with the currently available punches are way too large.

Tex

A bit late (this Instagram thing is taking much of my "social" time) I join the Orctober celebrations with a bunch of recent pics of the same old orcs you're all bored to see :oops:

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0012.jpg