A slowly growing Waaagh!

Make us dream with all your oldhammer stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Tex

Post Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:10 am

Re: A slowly growing Waaagh!

Thank you for your kind words, Micha!
As I said above, I've just started a new orc and this time I'm going to post some wip pics of it and its base, with some little tutorials here and there if they can be of interest...my hobby time is currently suffering, though, as I'm getting married in less than two months and...well, it's a mess :?
Yes, all mushrooms are made out of greenstuff, as well as the little purple flowers, btw

Post Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:48 pm

Wow, that`s a cool standard, thanks for showing.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Possibly one of my favourite painters here. Its so good and natural looking, you make it look easy! I'm squinty eyed at the pictures wondering how has he got that texture, how has he blended that colour so well, so some WIP and tutorials I'd LOVE! Might even help me improve some too!

Tex

Post Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Wow, guys: I almost feel embarrassed by your praises!
Keep them coming, though :D

As I said earlier, hobby time is suffering at the time; in addition, my skin recipe is a bitch to master and I often get stuck on minimal portions of the mini for what feels like ages: blending from very dark green to almost pure white can be very tricky, as I often get some unexpected variations even if I use the same 4 basic colours. And I need to get them perfectly blended.

I'm currently working on the first arm of the new orc: as soon as it will be finished, I 'll post some pics, I promise

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 am

If you ever get the time or inclination I'd really like to see a tutorial on how you did the rusty metal on the spear head. Its perfect.

Tex

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:17 am

At the moment I cannot provide step-by-step pics, but here is a summary:

- on orcs - as they usually sport a substantial amount of metal gear - I start with an undercoat of spray silver paint (I know it's unusual, but it gives a smooth finish, which I can't get painting metals later with citadel metallic paints - I'm going to try scale75 for this in the future).
- I then start applying every kind of colour as a very thin wash, generally differentiating their order in order to get a specific finish for each kind of equipment (mail coat, weapon, armour, etc.): I usually start with violet, then purple, blue, green, red, brown, black, olive green (catachan is perfect) and yellow;
- I often repeat the cicle to get a really weathered look;
- when I'm done, it's time to start building up the rust (at this point you'll just have some dirty metal parts): I start stippling some fine, irregular "web" of rust marks with scorched brown and catachan green, then I build up on this with snakebite leather, dark red and orange;
- I then wash the area again with blue, purple and catachan green;
- I repeat these last stages using more orange every time until I'm satisfied, then I sparingly apply some mithril silver on the edges, then some other washes, then silver again in order to get even the "fresh" metal scratches blended with the rusty/dirt metal.

On the spear of the last orc for the first time I used some orange pigment, and I'm really satisfied with the result: I just wetted it with a drop of water and stippled the spear head: btw, for "my" stippling I use a fine brush (I paint nearly everything with a 0 ) and I do it with some care to get a very fine rust "web" (not round dots, paint splats or uniform areas)

Hope this helps
Previous

Return to Showroom