Getting in on the Oldbowl action

DaImp

Seen as Blood Bowl is in fashion right now, I thought it would be a good time to work out just what I actually have in my Blood Bowl collection. This is going to take some time to work out as I have never bothered to catalogue everything before, so please bear with me.

To start off I thought something easy would be a good idea. So here are my box sets. Some more worn than others!

Attachments

• IMG_4028.JPG
    IMG_4028.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 2,311

DaImp

1st edition is what started it all for me. I received the rule book "free from a Troll" in an order I had placed (nothing like that happens these days) and was immediately intrigued by the book. The rules were easy, the game was fantastic, I was hooked for life.

I still have that rule book 25 years later. It has seen better days but is a treasured possession.

The original story of how Blood Bowl was discovered

The humour in Blood Bowl was there from the start!

Attachments

• IMG_4036.JPG
    IMG_4036.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 2,309
  • IMG_4034.JPG
    IMG_4034.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 2,308
  • IMG_4035.JPG
    IMG_4035.JPG
    371.8 KB · Views: 2,308

axiom

Great stuff! Got to say I'm a BIG fan of Oldbowl models myself. I've nearly finished a heavily converted skaven team based on 2nd ed figures.

Nice to see your 'well-loved' selection :)

Orlygg

NAF Facts used really crack me up... especially the ' Pop Khorne' visual gag from on of the supplements.

DaImp

I did buy the full box set off of eBay several years ago, purely for nostalgias sake and just to own the original game that gave me so much joy.

1st edition didn't come with miniatures. It had cardboard representations of the players for each team which were all included in the box. A few teams like the Skaven were added on later. The board was longer than the modern edition of the game. It came as a 6 piece giant puzzle that slotted together nicely. I never had the joy of actually playing with the official pieces. I had to make my own pitch and players. It didn't diminish the enjoyment one bit :)

There were some miniatures made for 1st edition. They are not great IMO but I have a couple of them.

Horrible photo I know, doesn't show much at all does it? That's a skeleton and 2 zombies. Not painted by me. There is another skeleton lying around somewhere. He will turn up one day :)

And thats all I have for 1st edition!

Attachments

• IMG_4030.JPG
    IMG_4030.JPG
    325.7 KB · Views: 2,302
  • IMG_4033.JPG
    IMG_4033.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 2,302

axiom

Those zombies can look pretty nice in my view. I painted up some for my necromantic team (with a few minor tweaks):

PaintedZombies150212.jpg
Zombie3110412.jpg

Ti Pouchon

They look fantastic indeed.
Also, I consider the 1st Ed undead to be the best minis out of the whole 1st Ed bunch and way, way cooler than the Morley linemen from 3rd Ed. I'd love to have another Skellie and Zombie from 1st Ed.

DaImp

Then I should give the old guys a second chance :)
I was never particularly interested in the 1st edition miniatures, 2nd edition was the edition when the miniatures really caught my attention. I have actually seen very few examples of painted 1st edition miniatures so its great to see yours Axiom! I suppose they are much like a lot of the old pre-slotta Warhammer stuff, difficult to actually judge until you give them a decent paint job, when they tend to come to life.

Orlygg

Those second edition star player models have never been bettered, and those paint jobs by McVey are brilliant.

Zhu Bajie

I've got an entire uncut Skaven team in my WD collection.
And a cut set in my 1st Ed box.

Nothing can beat the majestic sight of a team of Bloodbowl players drifting across the table on a gentle summers breeze.

Orlygg

Zhu Bajie":o0i2z6k9 said:
I've got an entire uncut Skaven team in my WD collection..

I am sure there were other additionals for 1st in White Dwarf... Pretty sure there was another team and/or some star players!

Zhu Bajie

Orlygg":3w02inrr said:
Zhu Bajie":3w02inrr said:
I've got an entire uncut Skaven team in my WD collection..

I am sure there were other additionals for 1st in White Dwarf... Pretty sure there was another team and/or some star players!

Maybe, this is the best place to check http://www.gamehobby.net/subject_indexes/subject_blood_bowl.html. The Skaven Team are noticeable because they are printed on card-stock as an insert, rather than just in the magazine or on the back cover (which they did a lot of in 2nd).

Pil

Very nice pictures! I'm looking forward to seeing your Oldbowl adventure unfold.

I love Blood Bowl as well but I never had a desire to try out any of the older versions. The current Blood Bowl rules do still retain a lot of the old school flavour, albeit with very streamlined rules. For example, I have a Slann team with a Zoat big guy on the painting table at the moment, all new models.

I do have to agree that a lot (if not all) of the 2nd edition teams look the best. It's just a real shame they didn't have an undead team back then! I recently bought the old skeleton as a curiosity and I like it a lot because it matches the Warhammer skeletons of that era. Since he's the only one, quite rare and because I don't want a team with all identical models he will get a square base and gets pressed into the Warhammer horde.

As a curiosity, the first edition pitch was later pressed into service (with second edition plastics) in the much simplified board game Kerrunch!:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/241616/kerrunch
pic241616_md.jpg

DaImp

Interesting. I never knew that Kerrunch used the 1st edition pitch.

I agree with you Pil about Blood Bowl being one of the few GW games where the modern edition is better than the older editions. It is a much better rules system, fluid and easy to play. 1st and 2nd editions could become long and tedious games on occasion, the introduction of the turnover rule in 3rd edition was a hugely positive step that really refreshed the game. The character of the game hasn't been allowed to die and it is still packed full of flavour (helped by being distanced from the Warhammer world)

Ti Pouchon

Thanks for posting, DaImp! Very much looking forward to seeing moar Oldbowl.
I completely agree with your stance on the BB rules. 2nd Ed rules weren't all that good, and with the rules update in the Companion, things got even worse imo. The turnover rule is brilliant and the current CRP might indeed be the best rule-set for one of the best games ever produced by GW (though I miss the rules for allies and secret weapons and have a list of nit-picky complaints longer than my arm about the rules - but I won't bore anyone with that).
Seeing the old boxes and boards takes me back to the days when I started playing - upon the release of 3rd Ed. I didn't even have a board, I drew the gridiron on the back of an old poster, bought a set of blocking dice and knocked off a diagram for passing since I didn't have a passing template either. My first box (the slender version of the 3rd Ed box) eventually arrived as a free gift for the continuation of my WD subscription.

DaImp

Ladies and gentlemen, all the way from far off Sweat-oh on the southern tip of the Southlands we present to you the champions of the All You Can Eat Pudding Bowl, the mighty KAIZER CHEFS!!!

Attachments

• kaiser-chefs-1.jpg
    kaiser-chefs-1.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 1,248
Back