psiekier's Blood Angels

psiekier

I don't get much time to paint, so this squad has taken me several years to finish, but I've promised myself this time that I will have enough to enter GW's "Armies on Parade" this year. There's a great GW store about 15 miles from here that really has the "local game store" feel to it.

This squad, like all the ones I've done in the past 10-15 years, is a mixture of models from different editions of Warhammer 40,000. The old Mk VI squadboy with the scanner is the oldest model in the squad. Brother Kevorkius, the Sanguinary Priest, is also from that same era, but he's only grouped into the picture to remind me that he needs another coat of Purity Seal - as do the other six models around him. The remainder are a combination of metal and plastic models ranging from a First Edition Mk IV Imperium Maximus suit all the way to a sergeant made with bitz from the Fifth Edition Death Company set.

[ Click to Enlarge ]

I spent extra time on Brother-Sergeant Vincent, preparing several spare arms with different weapons and magnetizing them, only to find out that that Tactical Squad sergeants have a ... limited selection from the army. Thankfully, because Blood Angels indicate squad number with an icon on the right poleyn, all sergeants within the same company bear identical livery on the pauldrons, which means I can switch out his magnetized arms with my assault squad sergeant and they will still match.

I wish there were a setting that popped open links into a new tab or new window. I can't count how many times I've left a BBforum like Oldhammer accidentally by clicking on an awesome picture and then closing the browser when I was done looking at it!

Re: Blood Angels Third Company, Second Squad - Squad Vincent

I like the colour, old school blood angel orange like they should be, nice job

and I agree about the links in a new window, happens to me all the time too :razz:

clownshoe

Awesome marines Sir! - I have just painted the beaky marine with the scanner myself! Love the look of them overall - nothing beats old school marines for me.

Really like these; good job.

What's your technique for getting that old school blood angels orangey/red armour?

psiekier

Legiocustodes":30ftqxsx said:
What's your technique for getting that old school blood angels orangey/red armour?
It's mostly due to my use of Evil Sunz Scarlet (formerly Blood Red) instead of Mephiston Red (formerly Mechrite Red) as a basecoat:

• Undercoated with Skull White
  • Basecoated with Evil Sunz Scarlet
  • Wash with thinned-down Agrax Earthshade (formerly Devlan Mud)
  • Touch up with more Evil Sunz Scarlet where appropriate
  • Highlight red bitz with a mixture of Evil Sunz Scarlet and whatever yellow (usually Sunburst/Flash Gitz Yellow or Yriel Yellow) or orange (such as Game Color's "Orange Fire") colour I have handy
I prefer the brighter red, and care neither for the darker bloodier colours (like Mephiston Red and Wazdakka Red/Red Gore) nor the plain red shoulder pauldrons. I undercoated several of my older models with Zynolite light gray spray primer, though, and the contrast between that and the white undercoat is really noticeable when the models are next to each other.

Hey mate;

Cheers for this; I might give it a go on some old models I've got lying around. I love the old orange blood angels but have never been able to work out how to get them like that with the modern range!!

Legio

Brilliant stuff, massive props for doing the Apothecary with banner like that- looks like you took him right out of the 2nd edition rulebook :razz:

I have a force of Blood Angels in the leadpile that I've been putting off doing because of difficulties with the scheme too, thanks a bunch.

psiekier

Count Von Bruno":3th0lbpk said:
Brilliant stuff, massive props for doing the Apothecary with banner like that- looks like you took him right out of the 2nd edition rulebook :razz:
That was my intent. I did the banner freehand, but I later found it much more effective to draw on a larger scale and reduce the image using a photocopier or scanner and glue the copy to a heavier paper. I'm just too lazy to redo this one, and happy enough with it as it is.

As to the Second Edition rulebook models... somebody told me GW Hammersmith closed, but if that rumour is mistaken, the actual Space Marine models (including the aforementioned Apothecary) that appeared in that book were there in a glass cabinet, along with copies of several First- and Second Edition books:

rtb01_beekees.jpg

original_ba_terms.jpg

:o
Squad Redemptor! (and the rest of them)

Awesome...just awesome.

I don't have that Medic with flamer (which is strange, considering how much I love him painted like you and the studio did) or the plastic Beakies but I do have that Librarian with scroll and the others.

I was really torn between dedicating my one and only Thudd gun to Squats or Blood Angels too, the bearded ones won out in the end but I will always associate that weapon with the BA's with that weapon...I see the servitors but not the weapon itself in those pics.

I'm going for an "Angels Of Death" / WD166 recreation when I get around to it.

You don't happen to have the RT Chaplain with "that banner" either painted or in the works do you?
(the skeleton with sword drinking blood from a cup)

I bloody love that old studio army! I might try my hand at recreating it too at some point!!

psiekier

Count Von Bruno":3k17cmt5 said:
I don't have that Medic with flamer (which is strange, considering how much I love him painted like you and the studio did) or the plastic Beakies but I do have that Librarian with scroll and the others.
That's funny - I have some plastic RTB-01 beekees from about 25 years ago, and (obviously) the apothecary, but I traded my last beekee-librarian-with-a-scroll for the GD '98 female commissar. There are only so many librarians you can have before it's not fun any more.

I was really torn between dedicating my one and only Thudd gun to Squats or Blood Angels too, the bearded ones won out in the end but I will always associate that weapon with the BA's with that weapon...I see the servitors but not the weapon itself in those pics.
These pictures are twelve years old, so my memory about exactly what else they had there in Hammersmith is mostly limited to the pictures that were in focus. There was a scratch-built 40K-sacle Warlord titan there, along with the entire Ultramarines chapter:

ultramarines_left.jpg

ultramarines_right.jpg

I had an early digital camera with limited storage space and no way to download or store additional pictures. I had to delete my pictures of the fascinating ravens at the Tower of London to make room for other things before I finally came home. That I couldn't save all the pictures was a disappointment.

You don't happen to have the RT Chaplain with "that banner" either painted or in the works do you?
(the skeleton with sword drinking blood from a cup)
The model appears on page 52 of the Second Edition rulebook, but the front of the old Second Edition Wargear book also depicts such a personality. Which came first - the egg or the Chaplain?
While I do own one, I don't have it painted. Ever since Second Edition, I've relied on the "fanged" chaplain with a jump pack:

gregor.jpg

Having a 4+ invulnerable save tucked into an amulet has always been such a nifty feature!

Oh my wordy lordy, I've never seen those pics before...that's a rather large amount of Space Marines :lol:
Thanks for that!

Good call on the Chaplain conundrum too, haha...that one you have painted is plenty nice too, sort of hard to go wrong with a skull helmed, black armoured space marine.

Jonas

Looks good! I love the medic with banner. I actually have a spare of that dude, with the handflamer chopped off, I never knew what to do with him. Unfortunately his Medic ornament is chopped off too, but might still work as a normal marine with banner.

The army progress might be slow, but the things you finished are ace!

psiekier

I decided to change the title of this thread, as there is more in here than just Squad Vincent now. In fact, it's not even just the Third Company any more; I meant for Imperius here to be a dreadnought from the First Company (hence the skull marking next to the vehicle number instead of coloured blood drops).

[ Click to Enlarge ]

Prior to Squad Vincent, my most recently painted unit was Squad Deimos. The squad's composition shifts around occasionally, as sometimes I'll repaint the right poleyns to reassign models to fit something I'm either dreaming up or getting rid of, but the Mk VIII sergeant (his arms are sculpted like that, but he takes plastic pauldrons, weapons, and a backpack), plasma gun, and lascannon have always been part of it.

[ Click to Enlarge ]

[ Click to Enlarge ]

Plus, all of my Rhino vehicles, like the third squad's Razorback, are based on the First Edition chassis. I have a few more still in the box awaiting assignment. Who knows if it will ever come?

My next project is going to be Squad Hector. I've never had a fourth squad, and never carried around a plasma cannon in a tactical squad, either. The pink base is insulating foam that I cut with a hot knife. Eventually, I will texture it and finish it as I finish all the squadboyz. This was meant to be for Armies on Parade, but alas, it looks as if GW are going to cancel both Games Day and Armies on Parade here in the US this year, so I'll just have to settle for owning the coolest-looking army at the shoppe.

[ Click to Enlarge ]

psiekier

Count Von Bruno":36u86fuh said:
Lovely stuff, the mix of armour types and classic/modern minis works really well.
Thanks. I want to try to have a variety of models in my army, to give it some personality. Unfortunately, this also tends to make it difficult to tell which models go in which squads sometimes!

That's why I painted the edges of the bases for Squad Actaeon blue. The preponderance of "Brother Sheer" and "Brother Hamilton" is due to my having purchased an old Tactical Squad blister-box back in the day. You got ten models, eight of which were pretty much the same. I painted most of the squadboyz over 20 years ago with Testors red flat enamel paint. Perhaps someday, I will repaint them...

[ Click to Enlarge ]

Squad Brutus has more diversity, and I did a better job of painting many of them, but I'm still not entirely too proud of the paint jobs. I frequently pull them into games, though, as the older First Edition models are readily distinguished from the Second (and later) Edition Mk VII's that make up much of the rest of my army.

[ Click to Enlarge ]

psiekier

The oldest of the Second Edition dreadnoughts in my army is Brother Khyron. Like some of the other old metal models in my collection, I undercoated him with Zynolite Light Gray All-Prupose Spray Primer instead of Skull White, so his red doesn't punch up as well as some of the others.

[ Click to Enlarge ]

Khyron (Kamjin/Qumazin) the Backstabber, commander of the Botaru Battalion?
I hope he doesn't get mixed up in any protoculture and crash himself into any super dimensional fortresses holding hands with a girl :ugeek:

I love your stuff Psieker, great work in general but extra bonus points for the banner.

psiekier

Count Von Bruno":3jd03rzt said:
Khyron (Kamjin/Qumazin) the Backstabber, commander of the Botaru Battalion?
I hope he doesn't get mixed up in any protoculture and crash himself into any super dimensional fortresses holding hands with a girl :ugeek:
It would be a dead giveaway if his companion were Azonia, wouldn't it? Actually, as you can see from this much older (1996-ish) photograph, his name hasn't always been Khyron... and his companions are Erynus and Contemptor:

oop_dreads.jpg

You're close, though, Count Von Bruno; you got the country of origin right. I wanted him to be named after something mechanical (the other moniker I considered was "Kryten"); it's actually a reference to the murderous super-computer from Gunhed. I was going to make his number "5" to drive it home, thinking a nice Roman-numeral "V" would look good on the banner, but he already had a designation that fit in with the other two from when I had originally painted him.

Count Von Bruno":3jd03rzt said:
I love your stuff Psieker, great work in general but extra bonus points for the banner.
Thanks, I appreciate the comments! I wanted to have the same style of banner as the ones you used to get in the blisters or with the boxed set (that's what's on his boss-pole in the picture above), but they are printed on this rather unattractive slick paper. This one I painted up using heavier art paper that has some tooth to it.

Back