Harry's Blood Bowl Log

Harry

Blood Bowl first edition was released in 1987
That means last year was the 25th Anniversary of Blood Bowl.

This made me think ... it is about time I got some of my teams painted. :grin:
(Or in some cases repainted as they need a new paint job).

Don't expect very frequent updates to this log. (Too many projects, too little time).
Do expect some old minis. :grin:

So to 'kick off' I am going to need some guys to keep a bit of order.

Rusty Blowhard and Ivor Ballbreaker:

img7110q.jpg

img7105u.jpg

img7103s.jpg

Harry

For my first team I decided to start small ....

You can't get much smaller than these guys. :grin:

img7117i.jpg

My Captain, Walter Pothead, and Star Player Puggy Baconbreath.

img7118q.jpg

I kinda liked this colour scheme for the lil' fellas from back in WD 108

bbwdhalflings1112.jpg

bbwdhalflings2108.jpg

Harry

This guy is up next as a bit of support for the lil' fellas:

img7132g.jpg

Here he is painted and with his lil' buddies:

img0119ot.jpg

img0115ha.jpg

img0114gxo.jpg

Harry

Having played a few games with my halfling team .... and not winning very much.
I came to the decision ... My team really needed a second treeman ... and so I drafted in a new star player ....

He has been converted slightly.
It amused me the idea of a treeman stepping back into the pocket to launch the long pass .... obviously all done in slow motion.

harryspictures390.jpg

harryspictures392.jpg

Here he is with his less converted buddy:

harryspictures389.jpg

and here is the now complete (and hopefully more successful :shifty:) team:

harryspictures387.jpg

harryspictures386.jpg

Thantsants

Love it - must get on with my Bloodbowl stuff at some point.

I like the "as if by magic" transition from bare lead to gorgeous paint jobs :lol:

Ti Pouchon

This thread is VERY relevant to my interests...
Love the pj as well. Very crisp and clean, great work on the trees. Bases show off the team very efficiently.
Looking forward to seeing more "Oldbowl", even though the quality of these minis makes me very reluctant to show off what I did recently, or even to go on with it...

Chico

These are great, havn't played a game of BB in many a year. But are seeing your stunning team i'm forcing myself to buy some Oldbowl toys.. Hmmm.

Harry

@Thasants
Thanks ... Look forward to seeing your stuff ... all second edition?

The 'as if by magic; for the start of these threads is because I am shifting them (copying and pasting) from another forum.
Obviously the original posts were spread over days weeks or even months.

Ti Pouchon":87le30vq said:
This thread is VERY relevant to my interests...
Love the pj as well. Very crisp and clean, great work on the trees. Bases show off the team very efficiently.
Looking forward to seeing more "Oldbowl", even though the quality of these minis makes me very reluctant to show off what I did recently, or even to go on with it...
Thanks very much.
Please don't feel that way.
I spent years not painting anything very much because I felt that way.
I started posting stuff over on Warseer and folks started posting encouragement and tips and soon I was painting more stuff and my painting improving. I have only been painting for a few years and I am only using very simple techniques ... bit of a dry brush here or there a quick wash to hide my mistakes and smooth things over a bit.
Do go on with your stuff and do get it posted up.
If you like my painting if anything you should take some encouragement from my posts as I have started from nowhere and got to where I am now in a very short space of time and using some very basic techniques.
Go orrrrrn. Start a thread ....you know you want to.

@Chico
It's a great game for when time does not allow for a bigger game or if you have a regular get together with some mates for a couple of beers and a game of something.

DaImp

Blood Bowl is my all time number one game. :)
I have a huge number of teams - would have to go check but I have almost all the official miniatures ever made for the game (and all the box sets) plus a huge number of other manufacturers. A fair number of my teams are even painted. :shock: Even more are in various stages of being unpainted though. :(

In this area at least I feel I am able to compete with most collectors! heheh

ps: absolutely love the Halfling team Harry. They have always been a favourite of mine ever since I first played BB. Mine aree painted up as a spoof of a local South Africa football the, the Kaizer Chiefs. So in Blood Bowl they are the Kaizer Chefs. All third edition models though not the 2nd edition you have.

Thantsants

Yup - mostly 2nd ed with the odd 1st ed. mini thrown in. I've got a few 3rd ed. bits including a whole Dark Elf team I inherited but definitely prefer the older stuff.

There's a team of Orcs, Dark Elves, assorted Chaos players and a ragtag mix of Humans, Dwarves, Elves and the odd Ogre waiting patiently - not to mention a 2nd ed. polystyrene pitch to be done...

If you don't mind me posting a pic in your thread here's a few of them I did for the Lead Painter's League last year -

A local Pub team - The Slann in Spacers

thantsants2.jpg

Great minds think alike eh! ;)

I figured these were old projects - just liked the effect of Ta Dah! Lead to painted. :grin:

axiom

What a tremendous looking fling team - superb painting :)

If it had been me I might have replaced the ball on your tree with an (un)lucky halfling, but that's just a minor niggle. I do love the 2nd ed halfings, shame they're such a struggle to actually play with!

Ti Pouchon

Chico":1hmonfi5 said:
These are great, havn't played a game of BB in many a year. But are seeing your stunning team i'm forcing myself to buy some Oldbowl toys.. Hmmm.

Chico, are you looking for anything in particular? I have a small posse of various oldbowl players looking for new contracts, feel free to drop me a pm if you have a wishlist.

Playing with halflings... two words: master chef.
The Perry 'hotpot catapult' is still fetching decent prices on ebay due to halfling coaches looking for that particular mini to complete their teams. It's pretty much a mandatory choice and if you limit yourself to 'tourney legal' minis, the catapult commander is a must have.
That and a big guy starplayer. Halflings are the only team that can realistically field Morg. Or a 3rd tree.

Another mini that seems to be popular among halfling coaches is the old 'piggyback' crew of two halflings. I remember seeing a 'fling team in Blood Bowl Magazine using two of those.
Still have one of those in the lead pile. Too bad I'll never field 'flings. Goblins all the way!

Chico

Ti Pouchon":2l06bn4l said:
Chico":2l06bn4l said:

Chico, are you looking for anything in particular? I have a small posse of various oldbowl players looking for new contracts, feel free to drop me a pm if you have a wishlist.

I'm not too sure yet mate, but i'm thinking the Chaos Dwarfs (The ones before the silly big hats) will be first on the list.

phreedh

Chico":1fv7l7mf said:
Ti Pouchon":1fv7l7mf said:
Chico":1fv7l7mf said:

I'm not too sure yet mate, but i'm thinking the Chaos Dwarfs (The ones before the silly big hats) will be first on the list.
May I recommend 1st edition orcs for hobgoblins?

Chico

phreedh":roj64w3t said:
May I recommend 1st edition orcs for hobgoblins?[/quote]

Not a bad choice, but i was going to use Snots as Hobbo's for the pure giggles of it :), But these are way done on my ''too buy list'' :(

Pil

Very cool team Harry (and Thantsants of course), I love these little halflings and they look very characterful. I never tried to play with such a team but it would seem like a struggle at all times. I love the paint job though!

Harry

@Da Imp
I have a nice mix of minis from different editions. I like some 2nd edition teams more ... others 3rd edition more.

@Thantsants
Don't mind you posting at all. Especially not minis paintd that nicely. There is always a chance someone will think they are mine if they don't look too closely at the poster. :grin:

@axiom
Many thanks
Never thought of the halfling option.
Never won a game ... always have a good laugh!

@Ti pouchon
I will get on to a chef ... I have a couple of hotpots knocking around. I have a some piggyback guys somewhere too. :grin:

@phreedh
Are those first edition Orcs not a bit tricky to find? i don't think I have ever seen one.

@Pil
Many thanks.
Never play to win ... always for laughs ... playing halflings kind of takes this out of the equation ... the 'struggle' is the fun! :grin:

Harry

OK so all this Blood bowl chat and the idea of starting a new team made me crack on and get one finished that has been kicking a round half finished for ages:

Here they are done:

035ah.jpg

The Beastmen:

037bq.jpg

The Chaos Warriors:

028qgh.jpg

The Big Guy:

025uxg.jpg

The Star players:

030kfm.jpg

The guy on the left is the Quest pit fighter ... he is a bit tooled up for Blood Bowl ... but he seems to fit.

024fv.jpg

Ti Pouchon

Amazing! You've taken some uninspiring casts and made the mshine. My favourite is the Minotaur, very 'organic' looking, brilliant work! Also like the dual metal scheme on the CWs.
I'd appreciate a "how to" on those very nice bases.

Back