Harry's Blood Bowl Log

phreedh

Very nice, Harry!

The 1st edt orcs are not that hard to find. Much more common than the undead, for instance.

Harry

Ti Pouchon":28vc3ag3 said:
Amazing! You've taken some uninspiring casts and made the mshine. My favourite is the Minotaur, very 'organic' looking, brilliant work! Also like the dual metal scheme on the CWs.
I'd appreciate a "how to" on those very nice bases.
Thanks very much for the great feedback.

The bases are pretty straight forward ... they have to be they are my standard bases for 90% of the stuff I paint.
I paint the mini first.
I paint the base with PVA and dip it in my gritty sand mix. (The little stones are not placed they are just all mixed in with the stand and they stay where they fall).
I paint the sand with a watered down "Bestial brown" ... watered down because the raw sand soaks it up and it 'bleeds' right up to the model without me needing to be too careful about painting up to the feet.
When dry i dry brush the sand with a mix of "Bestial Brown" and "snakebite leather" then a "snakebite leather" then "snakebite Leather/Bleached Bone" mixes. It sounds a performance but it is pretty quick.
I then paint some of the biggest stones Black then "Codex grey" then dry brush to highlight with "fortress grey" and a "Fortress grey/skull white mix" Finally a few dots of PVA and a sprinkle of static grass and the jobs a good 'un.

It seems a lot of effort but in the words of our lord, Dave Andrews .... "Faces and Bases".

@Thantsants
Thanks very much. I thought the centaur was a nice touch and he had a suitably gladiatorial look to him

@Da Imp
Painting I do ... babies ... not so much!

@Phreedh
Thanks.
I have the Elves ... are they hard to come by?

Harry

I thought I might paint up an ogre team next .... (after the doomforgers) no idea on team colours yet.
In fact there is not much to paint colours on beyond the shoulder pad ... Any suggestions?:

img0149z.jpg

img0148dl.jpg

img0146ol.jpg

img0147of.jpg

I can always go with ....

2nd_ed_team13.jpg

... and why I am about it I will paint these fellas up as star players ...

img0150ag.jpg

and this guy .... best Ogre ever!

img0145kfk.jpg

Thantsants

War paint to complement the colour scheme of the shoulder pads?

Having looked at the Oldheim Ogres I see they've done that there although I reckon you could come up with a slightly more interesting set of colours!

What about an All Blacks inspired tattoos/kit?

Ti Pouchon

Thanks for the bases tut, very helpful! I'll give some coarse sand a try someday.
Oh, and yes, I advise you to stop working on the dorfs and get cracking on the ogres. Yes, abandon the dorfs, that's a very good idea.

phreedh

Just sat down with my Chaos Warriors, which were originally slated for a green and orange colour scheme which would take me forever to paint. As I don't care much for the models I instead decided to rip Harry's paintjob straight off. So, gun metal and gold it is. All for the purpose of having painted models on the pitch.

Harry

Go for your life.
May I recoemnd Tin bitz first under the dry brushed gun metal for a more battered, heavy iron look. (rather than the shiney steel of a knight)
H

phreedh

Harry":3m1uagto said:
Go for your life.
May I recoemnd Tin bitz first under the dry brushed gun metal for a more battered, heavy iron look. (rather than the shiney steel of a knight)
H
Good tip! I'm going for something along the lines of my Uruk I painted last year. It had black -> tin bitz -> gun metal -> washes -> gun metal -> MOAR WASHES -> very light mithril
lpl6_round5.jpg

I forgot tin bitz this time though. =D I think I got it with the wash though, heavy on the Devlan in my wash mix.

Harry

Beautiful.
I see you need no tips from me. :grin:
Jes Goodwin Uruk. Very Cool.
Do you have all of them?

Ti Pouchon

Just to put a nit-picky fly in Harry's ointment:
The Chaos Warrior with the ball between the helmet horns has a ginormous mould line on its left shoulder.
Neener neener.

phreedh

Harry":3ga2pwq9 said:
I see you need no tips from me. :grin:
Not true, mate. =) But thanks anyways!

Harry":3ga2pwq9 said:
Jes Goodwin Uruk. Very Cool.
Do you have all of them?
I'm getting there. Lack a few, but haven't gone into search frenzy. Don't even have a checklist for them yet. =D Lovely minis though! Since I don't game LOTR, I decided to borrow the reddish complexion of the movie Uruks and dial it up to 11 and calling them Red Orcs. Which are bigger and smarter than regular orcs, but not as ferocious as Black Orcs.

Harry

Ti Pouchon":33v73t6b said:
Just to put a nit-picky fly in Harry's ointment:
The Chaos Warrior with the ball between the helmet horns has a ginormous mould line on its left shoulder.
Neener neener.
Bugger! Bloomin' mould lines.

Harry

Hows that work exactly? :grin:

Meanwhile back with the Doom Forgers

I have done my Werewolves ... just need static grass.

018ahc.jpg

019ro.jpg

020ai.jpg

and here is a WIP of the Death Roller:

027tg.jpg

Back