Citadel Speciality Set 4 - (half a) Goblin Raiding Party

Kasper

Hello all,
Figured you might find it interesting to see a few members of the old Citadel set painted - not too many of these painted on the internet. More pictures of each on my blog, but here are one of each and a group phot to show their immense intimidation-factor (*cough*).

So, what is it with these old Citadel miniatures? How can they be so fun to paint, even though the sculpting is not always perfect, nor do they have the fluid poses of many new miniatures? To hazard a guess I think it is a combination of little pressure (as in you didn't just pay 12£ each in a GW store) and the 'realistic' take on the minis - i.e. they do not have piles of giant skulls all over the place nor do they have swords the size of cities.

The sweet goblins from Citadel's Speciality Set 4 (the Goblin Raiding Party) is a great example of this:

IMG_0746.JPG

Realistic goblins, with weapons of a suitable size and actual armour and equipment. they do look like raiders and they each look like they have a history. Oh, and the fact that they are named also gives them plenty of character.
So, it was with great pleasure that I painted these four gobbos and I'm definitely searching the market for the rest of the raiding party!
Each of the four miniatures are oozing character:

IMG_0730.JPG

Torg Dwarfsmasher

IMG_0733.JPG

Urag Legeater

IMG_0736.JPG

Gigblad Childsplatter

IMG_0739.JPG

Snurd Hideflayer

And together they form a very nice - if small - force of goblin raiders, from the time before huge WAAAARghs were the only thin greenskins did.

IMG_0747.JPG

Anyways, they will be joining my Slaaneshi warband, as confused as to why they are there as their Orc Champion is.

All the best,
Kasper

Back