Mophus's miniatures

Mophus

Here are some of my miniatures I have recently finished:
image.php

Chaos Champion of Khorne.
I tried to copy the paint job of the Lost and the Damned colour plate. The shadows could be a little bit more defined, but I am quite pleased with the result.

image.php

Black Graxos, Chaos Beastman.
Again, this is the attempt to copy the paint job of a Combat Card. The shadows are too light in comparison to the original.

image.php

image.php

Space Crusade Chaos Android.
This is a spare miniature with a broken bayonet and barrel. I tried to copy the miniature which is shown on the Space Crusade box. It's just a test run without any highlights. The plate armour will be more white on the next one's.

image.php

Rosa Horror of Tzeentch.
I think I should have made the highlights even brighter.

image.php

Ethereals Wraith 4.
I love the dark aura of this miniature.

image.php

Warhammer Quest Halfling.
This paint job is nearly twenty years old. In the past I painted the eyes with a black background, and a white horizontal stripe followed with a black vertical stripe, as could clearly be seen on the left eye. Today I paint two white dots on a black background, as I find it is easier to get the right look. If you turn the miniature upside down, the nose doesn't handicap the brush.

image.php

Prince Gomrund Tallhelm.
My first green stuff conversion. I'm quite happy with the result, but the helm turned out a little bit too tall.

image.php

Sir Forrest of Dean. F2 Big fighters.
After consulting better images of the original paint job made by Orlygg on BYOL, the blue grey parts should have been just a bright blue. Maybe I add a layer of diluted blue ink, to emphasize the colour. I have another, similar miniature without the eagle on the breast plate and without mustache, called "Sir Nord of Cleethorpes" which I will do with a yellow feather. Sir Forrest is shown on the AHQ box, Sir Nord as a Captain in the Terror in the Dark rulebook.

image.php

Undead Champion (Tallhelm's remains)
These are the rest of the F2 Fighter parts, which were used for the Gomrund Tallhelm conversion. My inspiration was the cover of the HeroQuest supplement "Return of the Witch Lord" and the suggestion of Mike McVey, that purple and red are appropriate colours for the undead.

image.php

image.php

Advanced Heroquest Knight.
This miniature is really inferior in comparison to the lead version. I have another one, which I will equip with around shield, like the one on the AHQ box.

image.php

image.php

Advanced Heroquest Dwarf.
This miniature is a inferior sculpt, too. Especially the chain mail and the face.

image.php

Nightgoblin Archer.
The best green skin, I achieved so far. I will do a few other, and like to copy the colourful illustration of the 4th ed. cover.

image.php

Reaper Barbarian.
A few years ago I bought a set of Reaper miniatures as proxies for Heroquest. Than I realized, that I like the static, minimalistic original miniatures, more.

image.php

Baron Von Delberz
Another paint job copy of a Combat Card. The shield is still missing, but I have prepared a mold and a STL model, to finish the miniature, soon.

image.php

Marauder Trollslayer.
This was in a job lot. Nothing special about it.

image.php

Warhammer Quest Trollslayer.
This miniature was painted together with the halfling, a few years ago. The war paint could be done better, but I will not touch him anymore.

image.php

Heroquest Chaos Warrior.
I have a complete set of painted HQ miniatures. This is a spare one. The shadows could have been done darker. Maybe I paint another set and will try to improve that.

image.php

Zealot Miniatures Heroquest Wizard.
The face colour turned out too pale and undefined, but as I like the original HQ wizard more, I will put him just aside and let him be.

Sleepysod

symphonicpoet":3rkwvj2i said:
Some lovely stuff there. Well worth clicking through to see them enlarged. :)

Good call! All are excellent but am particularly fond of the use of bright pink on the 'Undead Champion (Tallhelm's remains)', 'Sir Forrest of Dean' and 'Baron Von Delberz' (are those transfers on his tabard or is that free hand work?)

More please!

Mophus

Sleepysod":1iys7kha said:
symphonicpoet":1iys7kha said:
... I am particularly fond of the use of bright pink on the 'Undead Champion (Tallhelm's remains)', 'Sir Forrest of Dean' and 'Baron Von Delberz' (are those transfers on his tabard or is that free hand work?)

More please!

The pink is in reality more of a bright red. Only the egde highlights are pink. The eagles on the tabard are painted free hand.

Mophus

image.php

Axel Starsong, Lords of Battle.
The armour turned out too dark. I am going to add a layer of Vallejo Liquid Silver to emphasize the shine of the plate mail.

Axel, together with Gomrund and Sir Forest of Dean, are part of my current project of painting all the miniatures as shown on the narrow side of the AHQ box:
image.php

Mophus

image.php

Amon Duul, Chaos Sorcerer.
I'm not certain about the eye on the helmet. Maybe I Overpaint it before varnishing the miniature.

Geroak II

Great looking miniatures. Your painting really captures that early 90’s atmoshpere and these might aswell be from pages of an white dwarf of that era.
Amon Duul is one of my favourite chaos sorcerer models and I’m really digging what you did with him. Is the colour scheme of your own make or done after some GW’s imagery from 90’s? Either way, he looks rockin’.

Mophus

Geroak II":1hona3md said:
Great looking miniatures. Your painting really captures that early 90’s atmoshpere and these might aswell be from pages of an white dwarf of that era.
Amon Duul is one of my favourite chaos sorcerer models and I’m really digging what you did with him. Is the colour scheme of your own make or done after some GW’s imagery from 90’s? Either way, he looks rockin’.
Usually I just copy colour schemes of old 'eavy metal pages or other GW publications out of convenience. But I couldn't find a template for Amon Duul, so I had to create my own. First I thought about a yellow-blue Tzeentch design, but decided to save that for another Chaos Sorcerer miniature. The Amon Duul sculpt is somewhat minimalistic, so I tried to make him look more interesting by adding some freehand patterns and details on his clothing and the helmet. My inspirations were the Citadel Chaos Sorcerer advertisement, the necromancer in John Blanche's undead diorama (yellow tunic with runes) and painted samurai helmets/masks and an article about painted helmets in the medieval Europe.

Geroak II

Mophus":1w1asqo6 said:
My inspirations were the Citadel Chaos Sorcerer advertisement, the necromancer in John Blanche's undead diorama (yellow tunic with runes) and painted samurai helmets/masks and an article about painted helmets in the medieval Europe.
Interesting to hear of all the research you did for that mini. History is an endless source of inspiration when painting miniatures, that's for sure.
Had never seen that diorama, thanks for bringing it up. Definitely worth seeing.

Manfred looks great. As others have said your clean painting style looks really nice on these figures. Tiny freehands on his ailettes are really impressive as well.

Galpino

I love the colours on the chaos champion. Manfred also excellent. The duller pink horror looks extra creepy and gross! All very nice.

Mophus

Galpino":7870al8x said:
I love the colours on the chaos champion. Manfred also excellent. The duller pink horror looks extra creepy and gross! All very nice.

Thank you. The next two models are almost finished...

Back