Old New Undead Army

So these are my Undead. Almost all of them were painted in the last two years or so in fits and starts. A few were my very first regiment painted for WFB back in the 90's though! I can't give much verbal detail at the moment as I am in a rush, but here's the pics. Mostly the recent impetus was Orlygg's blog combined with finding a mint "Skeleton Army" box at a local comic shop.

cedUMtA.jpg

hG909fb.jpg

5P35LfC.jpg

Q5FgKAv.jpg

DG663cN.jpg

I am posting them here instead of WIP because I don't intend to revisit them until Halloween time.

Firstruleoffightclub":q82ey0tn said:
Nice overall look, sir.

Thanks. I am unsure what to do next. I have just enough bits to pull off a 5 man regiment of mounted skeleton archers. This seems likely because I feel the army is lacking enough of both missiles and cavalry. Also the army standard bearer needs a paper flag atttached.

I will add more vampires for sure: old vampire models are half the reason for the army!

I have cool necromancer model to paint, and a mounted one that I'm less thrilled about. I might save the mounted one to ride a monstrous mount.

Caradepato":23ggkiuq said:
Love them! Great paint scheme, too. I have a huge weak spot for those mummies, they really are great.

Thanks. The skin on the mummies is sorta my goto example of the "Citadel Contrast" technique as used before Contrast paint actually came out. I thinned the green juuuust so and applied it once to a light undercoat.

Also there is very old Citadel mummy in the back rank, on the left. His hunched down pose and lack of weapon was useful for getting the regiment to rank up! The army list, or perhaps more accurately "model count" is as follows:

20 skeletons with hand weapon/shield
20 skeleton spearmen w/light armor and shield
10 skeleton archers
10 skeleton knights (including 6 which were my first Warhammer regiment and I believe included my first conversion, the standard bearer)
2 skeleton chariots
2 Screaming Skull Catapults
2 bat swarms
10 ghosts (including a few plastic Poorhammer ones!)
10 ghouls
10 mummies
20 (metal!!!) zombies
1 Vampire
1 Wraith
1 Wight hero on foot
1 Wight hero on horseback
1 Wight army standard bearer

Plus 5 apiece spare zombies, skeletal swordsmen, and skeletal spearmen for "raise the dead" spells.

And if that's not enough models to play, I don't wanna use whatever rulebooks you're into! It's enough to give me wiggle room for constructing 3000 point lists using the 4th/5th edition Undead Army Book. Though someday I will of course add a few more.

Back