Undead

EricF

Administrator
Just finished up my plague cart. It's a model I'd wanted for a long time and finally managed to get at a not crazy price. I spent a long time debating how to paint it, having seen a few great ethereal ones, but settled on a basic traditional scheme to just get it done and match my other undead! Still debating about adding some harness for the ox, but for now I'll call it finished.

The creaking car of death carries its dark cargo of doom into the centre of battle, bolstering the power of the undead and filling the hearts of the enemy with despair.

plaguecart1.jpg

plaguecart2.jpg

Pil

Very cool. A traditional paint job fits this model well I think. I like the wheel impressions in the ground.

EricF

Administrator
Thank you for all the nice comments. Lets add another finished model...

reaper.jpg

I've no idea where this grim reaper comes from, perhaps someone here will know (it's about 3" tall). Anyhow it's been sat primed on one side for years and I've idly wondered about using it as some kind of skeleton giant. So when I had the airbrush out to prime the plague cart I threw down some Skeleton Bone (70627) primer on the bones thinking that might encourage me to actually do something with the model. Well it did and I've just quickly finished it up. Nothing exciting, but it's come out looking quite good. The front detailing on the robe is actually dark blue/purple whilst the robe itself was a play with GW Black Templar contrast with some cleaning up and manual highlighting.

Back to the zombies now... they are however going slowly (which seems apt)

Flogger

Gorgeous! That plague cart is one of my favorite undead models and I really enjoyed your paintjob on it as well, very oldhammer :)

The large wraith looks really cool, if you find out where it's from, let me know!

EricF

Administrator
Well since my shambling zombies seem to be taking forever to finish I'll dip into the past and post two pieces of graveyard terrain I did some time back to keep with the Undead theme. The crypts are resin pieces (mini monsters) with various plastic (Renedra) and resin graves (Fenris). The tree is a metal Reaper piece (Halloween Tree). GW's "Garden of Morr" railing in the background.

Sepulchre_01.JPG

Sepulchre_02.JPG

I think something really important to the success of that scenery is, you didn't fall to the temptation to cut costs. You went ahead and crammed loads of gravestones onto a base plus one or two big (relatively expensive) pieces.

EricF

Administrator
These are the Jawbats from Titan Forge. I did get them for my Undead, although I've not thought about what they might proxy in Warhammer

I've had them for years and some months ago primed them ready for when the moment took me. Like all the resin I've had from Titan Forge I had to use an etch primer (Hycote grey) to get a surface on which to paint - I'd say about 70% of the models I've had have from them have remained very shiny and impossible to prime no matter how much washing I've done, very odd resin.

Anyhow they were a very quick paint job - two evenings I think, copying the Titan Forge paint job since nothing else particularly leapt to mind. Red base done in several coats to get a smooth finish, couple of brown washes, black drybrushed in the wings (Rosemary and Co smooshing brushes - love em for drybrushing), edges and bumps highlighted up with some orange (couple of layers) and then details picked out. Felt so nice to just bash out some models quickly!

jawbats.jpg

The slow shambling zombies are done, but I think they need some dirtying down to really finish them off. So I'm pondering either pigments or some of the AK enamel grime effects to do that.

EricF

Administrator
Thank you for the kind words.

So finally I've taken a photo of the finished zombies. I did end up putting some AK weathering enamels on them for some dirtying, but didn't do that much because it wasn't really achieving quite what I wanted. I've decided instead to accept they are just slightly brighter better kept zombies than I originally intended! A coat of matte varnish will dull them a tad anyhow. I think I needed more subtly in the shadows if I was going to get a darker dirtier look.

zombies.jpg

This lot consist of a box of Fireforge Living Dead Peasants and a box of Living Dead Warriors. Both bought from Wargames Emporium in Sheffield. They are nice models with a good selection of options, plenty of bits spare (using these as weapon swaps for some Nighthaunt Chainrasps). I opted for these because I felt they had an older ascetic than the Mantic zombies and the current GW ones have very large silly looking shoulders. I'd probably have opted for some older lead, but have never really found a good set of zombies to actually make a horde. So here we are, Old Hammer in spirit I feel if not in models!

EricF

Administrator
Thank you. Next up we have the Skullchucker. Now the main debate I had with this was bone or stone wheels... the advert I see has stone, but I've been lazy and left mine as bone. I may change my mind, but life is short and the lead pile large. I am missing the pile of skulls, but I expect I could make a small pile at some point to replace the original, or maybe it'll turn up one day! Looking at the models now perhaps some rust is called for on the chainmail, looks a touch fresh now I look at it again!

skullchucka.jpg

Well after this we have a few already done bits I took photos of that I'll post, but the next bits of undead on the todo list are a non citadel catapult and eventually the zombie dragon. Then we move onto more modern Nighthaunt models. Still that lot may well take a while as I've diverted onto some Squats for a bit!

Back