Knightmare Miniatures - Fleshy Gate

Orjetax

“The victim may be unaware of this at first, but gradual changes are forced upon his body chemistry, he becomes tired and lethargic and his skin begins to discolour [...] the victim swells as his body tissues disintegrate and reform into the shape of a living, pulsing gate of ruptured flesh.

This is the end of the victim to all intents and purposes, he has been transformed into a special kind of warp gate, a physical link through warp space between the psyker’s world and that of the enslavers.”

“These gates are fleshy repertoires of psychic force[.]”

———

b7cb82ea74ca059e5de427c8a8727c24.jpg

417c282bf5ce51db0b82c683ad1c9e72.jpg

cc860c0e0212d1e6f4837f27379a9e5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orjetax

Thank you all for your comments.

Sleepysod":3nncauru said:
Great colours on the gate - what’s the trick? Oils?

An acrylic pour! I’d never heard of this before my wife suggested it as I mulled over how to address the large flat “portal” area.

You can find a lot of YouTube videos of people using this technique on canvass.

Here’s how I did it, and some notes on what I would change in a future effort.

Acrylic pour:

1. Paint the flat surface white or black (I did white).

2. Get a suitable container to pour from. You’ll have to build layers of paint in it. I used a small mouthwash bottle cap.

3. Pick four paints. One should be black or white. Ideally of similar density, I didn’t do that but in retrospect it would have improved the look. Ideally use dropper bottles.

I used white, scale 75 fluorescent green (I think this paint made the look!), festering blue, Vallejo blood red (would not use again, it mixed too much with the blue and photographed too brown).

If I were doing this again I would pick brighter colors.

4. Layer the paints in the container.

5. Hold the flat surface to the top of the container tightly.

6. Flip over. Hold tightly.

7. Wait 30 seconds. Lift off the container and allow paint to spread out.

8. tilt the model so the paint flows to the edges of your flat area. You can use the back of your brush to create swirls. But be judicious! You can muddy it into brown by doing this too much.

9. Carefully, let it dry flat.

One tricky thing is eyeballing how much paint you need to cover the surface without looking at the edges. I don’t really have a tip here. If you’re doing this on a surface that excess paint can just flow off of, so much the better

symphonicpoet

I'll have to mention the cap trick to my friend. I believe she just pours the acrylics directly onto her canvases one at a time in different ways. But she likes to try different tricks when she finds 'em. Anyway, it's a really neat effect for a portal. :)

Orjetax

3cbacd5e2b12b37da44f9bb0f84c84ea.jpg

552207d3890226f36761850adf4eda69.jpg

b071078d3e2f664a458d432d79b7e45f.jpg

I’ve now painted the tentacled monster that came along with the gate.

symphonicpoet

Positively boss!

And, okay, the cap trick is in fact how she does her acrylic pours. I just didn't understand it. Whoops! :">

Someone posted a really cool animated version of a gate much like that. Was that you? The swirls swirled. Anyway, I love your beholder/enslaver/tentacled best. Fantastic!

Awesome O_O !

I always found the warp stuff from pre-chaos Rogue Trader intriguing. It's nice to see someone bring it to live in such a spectacular way.

Orjetax

AranaszarSzuur":2q3gil7h said:
Awesome O_O !

I always found the warp stuff from pre-chaos Rogue Trader intriguing. It's nice to see someone bring it to live in such a spectacular way.

Thank you!

Orjetax

symphonicpoet":1l8lz6hb said:
Positively boss!

And, okay, the cap trick is in fact how she does her acrylic pours. I just didn't understand it. Whoops! :">

Someone posted a really cool animated version of a gate much like that. Was that you? The swirls swirled. Anyway, I love your beholder/enslaver/tentacled best. Fantastic!

Not me, but very cool

Back