Mighty Fortress

Thantsants

So I went along and bought a Mighty Fortress as you do :mrgreen:

100_1041.jpg

Now I need a new gaming table! :roll:

100_1034.jpg

I've been hankering after this particular piece of Oldhammer real estate ever since seeing it in the 3rd ed. rule book. The Warhammer Siege book, which was a much later addition to my collection, didn't help either!

I didn't get round to taking a pic of the original box it came in - I was in too much of a hurry to recreate some of those scenes from the rule books - enjoy :grin:

100_1037.jpg

100_1038.jpg

100_1040.jpg

So I suppose I'd better add playing a siege game to my long To Do list...

Best get on with painting all the Orc artillery I've been amassing... :mrgreen:

Blue in VT

Hey that looks great! Is that the one you bought that was painted? Looks much better than mine...which has been naked for 25 years now. I always loved the siege...or rather assault ...games we played in my youth. I look forward to seeing yours put to good action soon.

Cheers,

Blue

Thantsants

Well not sure about soon - unless I take it to my folks' house and persuade my brothers to have a game over the Christmas hols...

Yep, it came painted although it needs a few touch ups here and there, and actually looks a lot darker in real life so a few lighter drybrushes might be an idea too.

Thantsants

Chico - just let me know when you're coming so I can get some more tinnies in the fridge ;) #

Cheers Airborne - strangely the wife didn't think so!

DaImp

The fort is great. But you are most definitely going to need a proper sized gaming table now! You need room to have that thing surrounded by siege engines and hordes of Orcs. I would live to get my hands on on of those. Although the odd mold lines on the polystyrene has always bugged me (those circles of raised dots on all the flat areas).

Dreamfish

Administrator
Looks great Thantsants! Your post got me thinking about a remote siege game. Thinking about the 3rd edition siege rules, such a game could take months to finish, not to speak of the complexity to host such a game.

Thantsants

Thanks Simon - that was the vibe I was going for!

You're not wrong Imp - I've got the hordes and siege engines (well stonethrowers, not siege towers - yet) so just need the table...

I was wondering about those funny dots - anyone got any tips on what they did with them? Covering them up with miliput is going to be a bit of a pain...

Dreamfish - that would indeed be an awesome (in all senses of the word) undertaking! The movement within the castle is fairly mind boggling, let alone keeping track of the besieger's forces in between the various zones on the strategic map!

Then there's tunnelling, night raids on enemy artillery and all sorts of other excitement to deal with!

Blue in VT

I used sand paper and lightly rubbed the areas that I was prepping to paint....takes them off quite easily with out damaging the surrounding area.

Remote siege game would be nuts. Mi must a emit that we rarely played out the strategic level pieces too often in youth.l.it was all about the assault. My personal favorite is using the whole thing across a table to represent a potion of a city wall.

Must do that again soon!

Blue

Thantsants

Cheers for the tip Blue - I'll give that a go.

I love the idea of the strategic bits of the Siege game but I can also appreciate the lure of the assault! :twisted:

Thanks THEFAN - I'd love to see pics if you get ropund to taking any,

Padre

So, those weird circular patterns on the stones ... are they meant to be protective sigils/geotic circles that ward off magic, preventing it crossing the walls? If not, are they just some sort of weird moulding effect?

I never noticed them years ago, but I never owned this model.

Pil

Well Thantsants, you did it. You convinced me to look out for one and when I found a seller willing to ship to the Netherlands (definitely not self-evident) I got one on eBay as well. It arrived yesterday. It's unpainted and the polystyrene will need a few touch-ups here and there (foilling holes and such). It's also missing some doors (only four doors are complete) but I'm quite excited to have it :grin:

Of course if I get around to completing it I will share the result with you all!

Your fortress does look the business! Hoq is the arrangement of doors in the towers on your fortress? Are they on opposite sides of the tower on on adjacent sides? I'm going to build mine with doors on adjacent sides which is best for corner towers, but is less attractive for towers in a straight wall.

Thantsants

Congratulations! Welcome to the Castle club ;)

I think the doors are set up for a corner turret - might have to check later as it hadn't crossed my mind.

I might get round to sanding off the funny mould (?) marks and giving it another lighter drybrush, as well as tarting up the doors here and ther, but it'll do with the paint job it came with for now.

Pil

Well, it certainly looks better than the bare polysyrene! I plan to try out Blue's sanding technique to get rid of the mould dots as well when I get started, they are a bit distracting.

Do you have any idea how many doors, hatches and ladders came with it originally? I count 28 door openings in the whole thing (two in each wall and four in each tower) but I don't know if they were all supposed to be filled with doors. Most pictures don't show doors in the walls and the door openings on the ground level of the towers would often be obscured by walls.

Thantsants

Unfortunately mine didn't come with all the bits but they are pictured on the box.

Looks like I've got all the doors and hatches - 8 small doors for the towers, 8 hatches for the walls and towers and the 2 main gates.

I don't have the 8 ladders or 2 flagpoles though.

Erny

To avoid the problem of arranging towers as corner ones and ones for straights what you really need is at least 3 mighty fortresses, then you can even make some of the conversions from the siege book.

e5ecd79f87ee5fcb2827fd05c7064612-1_zpsccdce076.jpg

Mind you mine aren't painted yet though I have used them perhaps I'll dig out some photos of some old games.

Back