Vintage Undead (old pictures) [PIC HEAVY]

Make us dream with all your oldhammer stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Vintage Undead (old pictures) [PIC HEAVY]

Heh i don't mind all the skull and pentagram bits on Undead, as lets face it so what if the Banners and Shields aren't realistic as it's Fantasy after all.. you don't see Undead walking down the road.. well unless its Goth night at my local :O

Pil

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Thank you all, I've shown lots of these pistures everywhere over and over again so it may seem a bit spammy but since I'm new here I felt it would be ok. I'll post some Rogue Trader stuff later on for your enjoyment 8)

bug16 wrote:As a big fan of the 80's Undead range all I can say is they look superb! :D Also well done for getting an original Heinrich Kemmler model, I'm very envious!

I never understood the reptile horses in that Undead range, I've got one but it looks too out of place to be used next to the zombie and skeletal horses. Even so it's nice to see one painted up! :)

Edit: Just noticed that you've got a Mikael Jacsen model. It's official, I hate you! :D

Actually, I have neither, let me share with you my secrets:

ImageImage

The wizard with the book is still available from Mega Miniatures: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8750195033 (not in this listing though)

I never really understood the lizard horse either but now I count it as suitably whacky and old school, I should, because I have a couple :)

Thantsants wrote:Safe to say you've got 3rd ed. Undead covered Pil :lol:

Not to mention those lovely Grenadier pieces!

Are there any you're missing?

I have the other mammoth missing it's crew, catapult and tail but the animal and the howdah are there, I have the rhino missing only it's tail (but I will give it Citadel crew as well), I have another giant for converting later on. I don't have the dragon but I don't care too much for that model. None of these are painted yet though. 8)

Ti Pouchon wrote:The only thing that doesn't work with that image - in my opinion at least - is the shield designs and banners. Of course, they look brilliant, but the army when still alive wouldn't have images of skulls and skeletons on their shields and banners, would they?
So, an undead artist/tailor must have made those banners. I know it's nit-picky but it's one of those things that irks me about the undead - same thing as the over the top skull-and-pentagram-encrusted robes and collars of some undead character models in production: where in blazes do Necromancers have their clothes made?
I like the Dunharrow undead above, because they have the "right" shields.

To this I reply with a quote from teh Skeleton War Machines box (lifted from the stuff of legends: http://www.solegends.com/citmd/md08skeletonmachines.htm ):

Longhorn stood looking over the ruined parapet. The chill wind ruffled his surcoat, whistling eerily between his ribs.
'Still coming?' the voice belonged to Screamer, one of his companions-at-arms.
'See for yourself.' A black column stretched from the horizon to a mile away, like an army of ants on the move.
'Here,' said Screamer, struck by a sudden thought, 'We can talk, right?'
'Yes.' sighed Longhorn. He hated it when Screamer had one of his sudden thoughts.
'And we can see them, right?' Longhorn nodded.
'How?'
'What?'
'We're Skeletons, right? No eyes, no eardrums, no vocal cords - but we can see, hear and talk. -Makes you think, doesn't it?'

The banners and shields were one of my first concerns when I started painting my nightmare legion. In the end I settled on the notion that my skeletons are sentient (as above) and decorate their own shields and banners from their new-found perspective. In the case of the skeleton vikings above though I felt 'traditional' shields were more in order.
When living your life like an arrow in flight
You must always accept that the end is in sight
Be grateful at least for the fact that you knew
You came to death - he did not come for you

Grand Buffoon of the Highest Order

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Fantastic army - seeing this over on Frothers was another nudge that started me on this slippery slope. I've seen your MJ conversion before but the Kemmler one is fantastic, something I will definitely try out myself.

Please don't show any RT stuff as who knows what I might start collecting then :lol:

John

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:27 am

Very good conversion work! I might have to borrow those ideas! :)
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"

My painting blog - Chewing lead

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Again, long time admiration for this lot on Frothers. Always nice to see them - cracking job.

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:01 am

Great to enjoy this army ...this collection again.
Also great to see those conversions again. I had forgotten how fantastic they were. :D

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Not the thread i meant to be posting in

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:12 pm

I have seen your pics before either here or somewhere else but I had to leave a comment and say Very Nice :). I have a Undead army as well, however it does not compare with your work and army... very impressive!

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Beautiful work, and great conversions/sculpting!

pea

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:16 pm

hello, one of the best armies I've ever seen, increible!
PreviousNext

Return to Showroom