Bretonnian Knight

Harry":29u4ntt3 said:
That is a GW/Citadel Perry mini. ..... with another magnificent paintjob.
I have blown that up huge and the heraldry is nearly flawless.
I assume you are using some kind of magnification when you paint to acheive this?
Do you draw it on first or just have at it with a paint brush?
Nice greeny gold as well.

Cheers Harry (and everyone else). :grin:

I don't use any magnification, never have. I just rely on the ol' eye balls and a steady hand. It took three bloody attempts to get the heraldry right though. Lozenges are tricky to get uniform anyway I realised (much harder than checks) but especially so on an irregular surface. I painted on the off-white base colour (VMC Stone Grey) and third time around I used a pencil to draw on a regular checker board design and then used that as a guide to draw the lozenge design. A bit of faffing around and it looked messy but it helped to get the lozenges all regular and maintain the uniformity of the rows. It was then just a case of filling in the blue and repainting the off-white, then retouching the blue, retouching the off-white, touching up that little bit of blue there and there, oh and that bit of off-white too... you get the idea. Once the design was nice and neat I highlighted each lozenge.

I might do a few retainers when I can to go with these models.

ardyer

Harry":1fk2qqyu said:
That is a GW/Citadel Perry mini. ..... with another magnificent paintjob.
I have blown that up huge and the heraldry is nearly flawless.
I assume you are using some kind of magnification when you paint to acheive this?
Do you draw it on first or just have at it with a paint brush?
Nice greeny gold as well.

Thank...I love the old Bretonnians, but it I'm clearly not as familiar with them as I thought!

Took a quick pic of all five knights I've done.

bretonnian%20knights.JPG

Blue in VT

yeah...I'm thinking a knight and retainers for a dungeoun crawl..that sort of thing....but a skirmish band would give me the justification to buy more...so yeah...skirmish band it is then! ;)

cheers,

Blue

Harry

You know that the Wargames foundry have the moulds for these guys now (They got them in the split with GW)
These are some of the old Perry sculpts thay have just recently made available again.
You don't need to go hunting for old lead and paying silly prices.

Fimm McCool

Interesting information....

Those are hand-painted sword slashes on the shields right? What's your technique? They look like they have proper depth to them, immaculate work, very impressed! :grin:

Off topic, they remind me of the old game 'Knights' I used to play on my Amiga, wandering around dungeons, splatting zombies and bats and taking magic potions. Anyone remember that one?

Harry":tjxrjai6 said:
You know that the Wargames foundry have the moulds for these guys now (They got them in the split with GW)
These are some of the old Perry sculpts thay have just recently made available again.

Any links to them only I couldn't see them on their website?

Fimm McCool":v2iyk5d8 said:
Interesting information....

Those are hand-painted sword slashes on the shields right? What's your technique? They look like they have proper depth to them, immaculate work, very impressed! :grin:

Cheers Fimm :grin:

I just paint a dark line and then a light line underneath it to give the impression of an edge.

And while I remember here's a better pic of the new guy.

bretonnian%20knight%20with%20great%20helm.jpg

ardyer

stone cold lead":13bkbgbj said:
Harry":13bkbgbj said:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/wargamesfoundry

The side bar on the right has the ex-citadel categories.

ardyer":510adi0p said:
stone cold lead":510adi0p said:
Harry":510adi0p said:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/wargamesfoundry

The side bar on the right has the ex-citadel categories.

Ah... so they don't have these Bretonnians then?! The stuff they have is all 80's Citadel stuff but none of the Bretonnians that were released around 90/91.

c20232brettinf-02.jpg

These are the ones that are less common on Ebay and can attract higher prices. There were also archers, crossbowmen, spearmen (only 3 variants I'm aware of) and various retainers released as part of this lot. Oh and not forgetting the mounted knights and mounted retainers (I've got spear armed retainers but I'm sure I saw bow armed ones back in the day too). Wish I could remember the WD numbers that covered these 'new' releases, one of them had a new Bretonnian army list in.

phreedh

stone cold lead":2vuuuols said:
Wish I could remember the WD numbers that covered these 'new' releases, one of them had a new Bretonnian army list in.
If you mean the one that replaces the Bretonnian page in 3ed Warhammer Armies then I just read that issue. I'll check which one it was when I get home from work. Somewhere around 140-ish unless I'm mistaken.

Erny

There was at least one mounted bowman, I have him along with a fair few mounted knights and retainers I even have a mounted wizard holding an orb with an eye on that appears to be the same range but I've never seen a catalog entry for it . Nothing much on foot from that range sadly. The later foundry sculpts by the Perrys fit in very nicely with this range however. I would expect their own range of Agincourt minis though a little later historically than these would fit in nice too.

The early hundred years war figures from BTD are some of their better stuff and look great with this range, excellent source for your rascals.

Oh and as far as I was concerned the replacement page was, only really useful for the foot knights. I'd be happy playing units taken from both lists. Its 137 I think along with confrontation rules, a good issue.

Seems like a few things didn't get catalogue entries. I do recall a painted mounted wizard being shown in one of the WD's at the time but I never saw it catalogued. I'm pretty certain I also saw mounted knights with big fancy helmet things and covers being sold individually as Bretonnian generals from this period too, but I saw them once in my local GW and never again (or since). Pretty certain they weren't the mounted Bretonnians released a little earlier on the massive plastic horses along with the Knights Panther and High Helms etc as they came in sets of four in plastic blister boxes.

Thought I'd tracked down the moutned archers on Ebay (DaveT I think) being sold as Foundry castings but they turned out to be from Foundry's 100 years war range and they're much smaller than GW. I reckon I could get away with them though mounted on plastic horses. The spearmen I bought last year though look like children next to these Bretonnians. I've got a load of BTD 100 years war stuff too and whilst they would look fine in separate units in the same army I'm not so sure about mixing them as they tend to have pumpkin heads and the quilted coats aren't done quite as nicely as the Perry sculpts.

Reckon we could do with a Wiki entry for this period of Bretonnians as everyone either thinks of the 80's stuff or the later 90's versions.

phreedh":3uyt3q2t said:
stone cold lead":3uyt3q2t said:
a painted mounted wizard
Not the bespectacled fellow with an assyrian beard style?

Nah, he was from the Empire General's retinue (used to have the foot version of him) but I do remember the mounted one being used alongside the Bretonnian knights in WD. The one I'm thinking of was a little more renaissance looking, kind of Italian style perhaps.

Back