Bretonnian Knight

Erny

Could be the one I have, though he is more medieval he has a floppy hat. I'll take a photo.

Oh I have the spectacle guy too.

ardyer

stone cold lead":1fbrkqsu said:
Seems like a few things didn't get catalogue entries. I do recall a painted mounted wizard being shown in one of the WD's at the time but I never saw it catalogued. I'm pretty certain I also saw mounted knights with big fancy helmet things and covers being sold individually as Bretonnian generals from this period too, but I saw them once in my local GW and never again (or since). Pretty certain they weren't the mounted Bretonnians released a little earlier on the massive plastic horses along with the Knights Panther and High Helms etc as they came in sets of four in plastic blister boxes.

I had 4 single body mounted retainers at one point and a general with a crown on his helmet that I don't think I've ever seen a catalog entry for, or at least not one on the internet. Not that I'm the most familiar with the situation or anything, but it appears to me that many of the models sold as Bretonnians were not models sculpted to specifically be Bretonnians. I dunno, just my thoughts on the mater.

Blue in VT

this is one of the best sources of Bret information that I have located...I think it has pictures of all the different models.

http://www.miniaturenarchiv.de/page.php?282

Here is the wizard with flop hat and the eye ball orb

http://www.miniaturenarchiv.de/page.php?285

The Brets released with the 3rd edition seem to get very little thought...most folks think of the Really old second edition brets (like from the 3rd ed army book) or the 5th edition things...like I have been painting of late.

I hope that reference helps!

Cheers,

Blue

Blue in VT":12btf8w7 said:
this is one of the best sources of Bret information that I have located...I think it has pictures of all the different models.

http://www.miniaturenarchiv.de/page.php?282

Here is the wizard with flop hat and the eye ball orb

http://www.miniaturenarchiv.de/page.php?285

The Brets released with the 3rd edition seem to get very little thought...most folks think of the Really old second edition brets (like from the 3rd ed army book) or the 5th edition things...like I have been painting of late.

I hope that reference helps!

Cheers,

Blue

Brilliant resource. A few pieces on there I didn't know about and the mounted generals etc are what I remember. Oh, and that is the wizard I recall as well. :grin:

Erny

ooo nice page Blue.

Happy to say I have most of those charecters, also have a spare mounted retainer champion (anyone?) and a bunch of the archers.

I'm slowly working through some retainers now. Old hat if anyone follows my blog or postings elsewhere but here's where I'm at now. 2 down, 1 underway and 2 to go.

DSCN5523.JPG

DSCN5547.JPG

Blue in VT

They look fantastic! I love your padded armor...can you share your technique. Having just done a bout of dozen of those for my bret project I can certainly say that none of them look that good...and they are my least favorite parts of those figures to paint... :?

Cheers,

Blue

Cheers fellas :grin:

The padded armour is just layered highlights like everything else, just careful placing of highlights I guess. I don't mind painting it in small areas but the swordsman was getting on my tits a bit last night. I used a base coat of VMC Burnt Umber and added VMC German Camo Beige for highlights. Still need to do the sleeves and then I'll boost the highlights a little more here and there. I want it to be a little darker than the padding on the other two models. A glaze of Agrax Earthshade will probably go down well at the end too.

Blue in VT

so that hasn't even been glazed yet? man your transitions between colors are incredibly smooth. I just assumed it had be layered up and then glazed to smooth out the edges....it looks amazing already. And...I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that gets annoyed by this armor... :?

Keep up the good work!

Blue

Another little update on this lot. Slow going but I'm adding to the group bit by bit. Got these two done (almost bar the base):

DSCN5626.JPG

And a shot of the previous three models in all their bludgeoning glory.

bretonnian%20hvy%20inf.JPG

More waffling and wot-not on my blog.

Back