Bretonnian Knight

Chico said I should post a pic of something so here's the last model I painted for myself.

bretonnian%20knight%20montage%20small.jpg

Bought this and a bunch of Bretonnian models back when I was a teenager and they've been painted, repainted and stripped over the years and I finally decided to give them the paint job I always wanted them to have. I've got 3 foot knights painted now and I'm intending to add a few more models to create a small warband.

I've been looking for spearmen from this period for while (I have one each of the 3 variants I know of) but they rarely appear on Ebay and when they do they tend to have high price tags. I was hoping Foundry's HYW spearmen would be a good substitute but sadly they're a bit small in comparison (although the civilians work well and the pack I bought will become baggage train hangers on).

Thantsants

Siflor aren't they - Antenocitis seel them. Need to invest myself 8-)

Out of interest Stone Cold, how long does it take you to get those sparkly, near white highlights?

demi_morgana":jll7vw7q said:
@Admin: We need froth/ icon...

Where did you get the flowers from btw? :)

Thantsants' got it with the silflor. Can't remember which pack these are from though as my German isn't that good. Got mine from Antenocitis Workshop (when they were in stock!).

Thantsants":1af4acia said:
Siflor aren't they - Antenocitis seel them. Need to invest myself 8-)

Out of interest Stone Cold, how long does it take you to get those sparkly, near white highlights?

It doesn't take too long. It partly depends on the colour, and yellow is quite easy to highlight up. I don't recall how many layers it took but it wasn't too many. It's more about how you apply the paint. One reason for doing the Bretonnians is that they're quite simple models and paint up in reasonable time. ;)

Chico

Stunning mate, i have 2 spare unpainted Foot Knights/Retainers from this era if your interested i could part with. I'll Pm you a picture :)

Cheers
Chico

Erny

you know it is people like you that put a dent on my own painting. Despondent about ever coming even a little close to this standard I just give up!

Lovely knight.

I finally got around to finishing another knight. Before we go any further though I should point out that I'm a dirty stinking cheat and I used decals for the ermine. ;)

bretonnian%20knight%20greatsword%20montage%20small.JPG

Harry":34eehj47 said:
Stunning paint jobs.
Please tell me how you painted the armour.

I've not posted for a little while so apologies for not seeing your comment. :oops:

Here's a quick copy and paste from LAF:

"The armour recipe probably sounds more complicated than it is. I used a base mix of VMA Steel, VMC USA Olive Drab and a bit of black. That was then just highlighted by adding more VMA Steel. I used a number of washes though over that. I treated it like I would if I were painting grimey, dirty armour but didn't take it that far. I use different combinations of VGC Charred Brown, Imperial Blue and Cobra Leather which when mixed give purplish and greenish browns. I thin them down and wash the armour but wipe away excess from the main surfaces. Afterwards a quick glaze of black/brown wash (I use the old GW washes) helps add extra shading. I then went back and picked out the lightest highlights with VMA Steel again. A bit convoluted perhaps but it's really not as much messing around as it sounds. Honest."

I've got another knight that's been sitting half painted for the last few months. Need to crack on and get him done once I've got a little more time (and the inclination to paint something else at the end of the day after painting stuff for other people ;) ).

Harry

OK that does sound flippin complicated.
If you were going to do it twice as fast with half as much messing about on a mini that you were doing for someone that wouldn't know the difference .... what would be the simplified version of that be ... that would still give 90% of the same result? :grin:

Harry":2a98oh0o said:
OK that does sound flippin complicated.
If you were going to do it twice as fast with half as much messing about on a mini that you were doing for someone that wouldn't know the difference .... what would be the simplified version of that be ... that would still give 90% of the same result? :grin:

Do the metallics as stated but just give them a wash of GW black and brown (slightly thinned) without all the colour washing. ;)

Been a while since I last visited these models what with one thing and another. This piece was gathering dust part painted on my desk and this last weekend I finally decided to finish it off. Really chuffed with how the lozenge heraldry came out although it was a right pain to do. Just a quick pic from yesterday here.

DSCN5484.JPG

Harry

That is a GW/Citadel Perry mini. ..... with another magnificent paintjob.
I have blown that up huge and the heraldry is nearly flawless.
I assume you are using some kind of magnification when you paint to acheive this?
Do you draw it on first or just have at it with a paint brush?
Nice greeny gold as well.

Back