Jeff's completed projects for 2014

Bane

Really love the wood elves, that beast handler is one of my favourite miniatures from the range and you've painted it wonderfully. Truly inspirational quality:output ratio!

Jeff McC

Thanks for all the kind comments.
One more - I thought the big archer unit could use a more imposing champion, so I managed to squeeze this one in before family events take over my schedule.

Attachments

• champion.JPG
    champion.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 1,927

Jeff McC

Settled back in at home and work. My 9 year old is starting out with high elves, (and defeated his older brother's dwarves in a 3rd edition game over the weekend :grin: ) So I offered to paint up a champion for him, since I'd painted some for his older siblings. I think it turned out fairly well. He was very clear about the blue eyes, blue and white color scheme and wanting it based like dad's wood elves.

He's coming along fairly well with painting things himself - here's his finished griffin. (Certainly better than I would have done at that age.)

Attachments

• high elf.JPG
    high elf.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 1,872
  • phil's gryphon.JPG
    phil's gryphon.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 1,872

Jeff McC

Good weekend for painting...I've finished up some of the foundry goodies I picked up while I was at BOYL.
First, some supplies; I think they're meant to be from the Napoleonic era, but they're generic enough that they will work quite nicely with earlier eras too... So baggage, or an objective for a scenario.. possibilities abound!
I also picked up some skeletons with scythes to fulfill the army minimum 10 grim reapers for undead. 13 rank and file complete, command models are still in work. They were quick to paint up, and the paint work was simple enough that I was able to play Talisman with the kids while doing the majority of the work.

Attachments

• baggage.JPG
    baggage.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,825
  • grim reapers 1.JPG
    grim reapers 1.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 1,825
  • grim reapers 2.JPG
    grim reapers 2.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 1,825

Jeff McC

Agreed, they do have a Ray Harryhausen feel to them!

A few more done - Champion of khorne with the face of a flesh hound. I found getting the red/orange of the skin tone to the point where I was satisfied with it a bit challenging...

And a Brentonnian foot knight. Not sure I'm entirely satisfied with the checks on the chevron.

Attachments

• khorne.JPG
    khorne.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 1,791
  • knight 1.JPG
    knight 1.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 1,791
  • knight 2.JPG
    knight 2.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 1,791

clownshoe

Good stuff - the checks are spot on by the way - i wouldn't change those. Did you use pens on that or brushes? My freehand is awful (with a brush) - no wait its awful full stop :)

Edit - you paint eyes really well, this is awesome -
file.php

Con-fusion

The autumn themed wood elves are great. I like seeing all the reds and browns instead of standard woodsy greens.

I concur on you eye work, awesome.

Stick with what you have on the foot knight, and paint me some while you're at it. :grin:

Harry

All good stuff. Some very tidy work on that shield and great rust effect on the sythes.
Love the supplies ... I shall have to pick up some of those.

Jeff McC

I'll keep the checks then.
Clownshoe, they were done with a brush.
Thanks for the comments on eyes; usually I just paint the eyeball off white, and then add a dot of color in the middle and a black line across the top, but eyes on that treeman were big enough, that I had space to do something more.

Jeff McC

Chaos Dwarf Swivel gun. I debated single base vs. individual base for quite a while before starting with this one, in the end I went with single base so I could get the aiming dwarf's hand on the gun. Happy with the results, though I still want to track down some small ball bearings (or similar) to make a cannon ball stack, I think I should be able to make a brass monkey to go with out of styrene.

Attachments

• chaos swivel gun.JPG
    chaos swivel gun.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 1,955

Jeff McC

I tried something very different from my usual painting style with this wight. I used a lot of washes to get an ethereal feel, I think it worked, though I'm not entirely sure I'm happy with the result...can't quite put my finger on why.

Attachments

• wight.JPG
    wight.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 1,955
  • wight 2.JPG
    wight 2.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 1,955

Asslessman

I love the Chaos dwarves, I alos considered wether or not baisng them on one base or not and I finally opted for a display bease and 3 individual bases so that the firer can hold the swivel in his hand and so that I can remove the big base when I field them on top of a hill or some annoying piece of terrain. The colours are lovely with a great readibility. Superb painting !

The wight looks good to me, maybe the yes good use a small tip of bright colour in the middle to make them "pop" a little more bu the blade is superb and the whole model looks more than good imo.

Jeff McC

Thanks for the kind comments. They help keep the motivation level high. :grin:
WRT the wight, I think you may be right about the eyes - pondering what to do with them, as I want to stay away from red. (the orcs, goblins and skaven have dibs on it for eyes. ;) )

Jeff McC

Managed to get an orc finished, he'll be the unit champion, and there are a number of archers in progress who'll be joining him. I've wanted this one for years (he was in the Warhammer book, after all.) and managed to get him for something reasonable off ebay. Particularly pleased with the trousers. (I was going to say pants but apparently they're something different in England :shock: ) It is the first time I've used black lining to separate stripes, and I like the way it's made them pop.

Attachments

• Orc Boss.JPG
    Orc Boss.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 1,835

phreedh

Looks great Jeff, it's a fine model - isn't it? The trousers does indeed look very good. Try applying the same technique with his teeth. Get a thin black wash around the edge of them and they'll contrast nicely with the skin.

Asslessman

Excellent looking and yes I agree with Phreedh, a little wash around teh teeth will help make them pop out. the coulours you used are really screaming 3rd ed to me and I couldn't think aof anything better for a model really !

Mason

Some really nice work here, Jeff.
:grin:

I love the muted palette for the Wood Elves and the other stuff is great too.
I really like how that Wight turned out.

Back