The Complete Bretonnian Miniature Archive

What do you expect here?

As the title suggests, I am going to post pictures of my Bretonnian miniature collection which is going to be actually every single one that Games Workshop / Citadel has ever released. It now follows a brief introduction as it also can be found on my own website.

How I came to collect Bretonnians?

Through a friend I met in 1994 Warhammer Fantasy. At that time was just the 4th Edition to date. Such a game (tabletop) I didn't know by then, but I was very interested in fantasy and had some experience with RPGs. I was immediately excited about it and got the 4th edition boxed set. The miniatures contained (High Elves and Goblins) didn't please me at all. My interest was from the beginning especially one: knights!

Thus I came to build my army of the Empire, because there were some nice knight models (Reiks Guard, Knights of the White Wolf, Knights Panther) and gave me the background otherwise mostly liked (there was already an army book available). It just bothered me that there were so many gunpowder-based war machines which in my opinion did not fit for knights. But you don't have to use them if you don't like (I've only used a great cannon sometimes). So I played quite successfully for about two years with my Empire army, until the 5th Edition was released and thus changed everything: suddenly the Bretonnians as we know them today appeared on stage and I was highly enthusiastic!

The background of the Bretonnians was exactly what I was looking for. And the best part: It's all about knights! The fact that the Bretonnians had not a single war machine didn't bother me in the slightest, quite the opposite. For me, it was immediately clear: In the future I would only play Bretonnians. So I started to build my Bretonnian army. I was extremely successful with Bretonnians as the army book of the 5th edition was admittedly very strong.

That went up to the appearance of the 6th Edition, with which the game was turned around completely, which did not please me. Above all, there was initially no valid army book for the Bretonnians and the list from the booklet "Ravening Hordes" was anything but edifying. Since most of my friends had already lost interest in Warhammer, other private interests came to the fore and I laid the game temporarily back on the shelf.

It was not until 2007, when already the 7th Edition was current, I took my army once again emerged from obscurity. In no time the interest came back and I tried as soon as possible to make up for missed connections. All my Bretonnian miniatures dated from the 5th edition, but the new miniatures from the 6th Edition I really liked. Since then I started collecting Bretonnians and now I own all the Bretonnian miniatures that were released since 5th edition. Even the oldest Bretonnian models that appeared in 3rd edition I own almost all (Note: During the 4th edition (ie 1992-1996) no Bretonnian models were released). Before the 3rd edition there were no models explicitly labeled as Bretonnians, but only miniatures representing Humans (Fighter) which could be used more or less for Empire, Bretonnian or Dogs of War armies.

3rd Edition (1987-1991)

As far as I know no Bretonnian miniatures were released during 4th edition (1992-1996). Many 3rd edition models, but not all, are found in the 1991 Citadel Catalogue (also called Red Catalogue). There are also many 2nd edition models shown in this catalogue so it is intended not to show them together with 3rd edition models here.

I found many models that are not shown or named in any publication (catalogue, White Dwarf). So I can't be completely sure if there are more unlisted models. It would be very much appreciated to get information on that.

All 3rd edition models were made from metal, but all horses were made from plastic. Miniatures before 1989 were in smaller scale (25 mm).

Only the mantlet is still missing in my collection which seems to be extremely rare. I have only seen it in the Red Catalogue, one White Dwarf issue and here on Oldhammer.org.uk.

Bretonnian King and Bretonnian General (1989)
IMG_0634.JPG

Bretonnian Wizards (1989)
The left one was released as an Imperial Wizard, but was used by GW as a Bretonnian wizard in their studio army.
IMG_0635.JPG

Crossbowmen (3 different models, 1990/91 and 1987). The right one was released in the "F4 Men-At-Arms" series in White Dwarf 96 from December 1987. This month there was also the release of the 3rd edition of Warhammer and the model was labeled as Bretonnian later in the "Red Catalogue".
IMG_0672.JPG

Back