NIPPON characters (Jaken)

Intrigued by my first alternative Nippon character (Nitsume) for my OLDHAMMER style Sellswords & Spellslingers games, I decided to repaint an old RAFM Death Dancer I owm from my teenager years (this will be its third repaint ;) ).

The design of the Death Dancer has some vague bond with a samurai armor, especially the "kilt".
I decided to paint it ispired by the paint scheme of an anime character: Sesshomaru from the Inuyasha cartoon. I've painted the skull faces as red oni masks.

STA79472.JPG

STA79475.JPG

Sesshomaru_by_niiigata-d57xt1b.jpg

Sesshomaru beside Nistume.
STA79477.JPG

The old painted Death Dancer (I painted it in 2013)
STA74068.JPG

Outsider

Re: NIPPON characters (Sesshomaru)

Fantastic paintjob and a really good use of that classic sculpt. I might have to see if I can track down one for myself.

symphonicpoet

Oh, very nice! I don't know that I'd have pegged the black and white version as terribly Japanese. You really bring it home in the second take.

symphonicpoet":33kp8hff said:
Oh, very nice! I don't know that I'd have pegged the black and white version as terribly Japanese. You really bring it home in the second take.

The second old repaint of the death dancer was ispired by a Malal Warrior, then it's explained because I used a black/white paint scheme. ;)

symphonicpoet

^I actually really like 'em both. And I love how different the two of them feel. I also love how you use anime to explain the new one. I think it's the chest face that does it for me. The eyes really make it sing and feel Japanese. The older black and white dancer has more of a Commedia Del Arte Harlequin feel to me. (Which is also a great source of Oldhammery goodness, of course.)

I've included a sidekick to Sesshomaru, the small goblin Jaken. I did a simple conversion with a middlehammer goblin with a broken rod, including an head a point of a spear. The paint scheme is ispired by the small kappa Jaken, from the Inuyasha anime. Jaken was the servant and sidekick of Sesshomaru in the cartoon.

STA79485.JPG

Jaken_Wielding_Nintojo.jpg

a6761c7360d189836d817de4cc0bf65e.jpg

symphonicpoet

^Unless they released him in fantasy as well I believe that's actually a 40K miniature: Makari. He came with the late RT era Ghazkull Thraka, and you can see him next to Ghaz in my own ork band if you wish. (Not encouraging it, mind. That's a REALLY old paint job. Dates to when the model was brand-spankin new and I was a much more hum-drum painter. Still works on a table, but it's no showpiece.)

Anyway, that's a great use for fun old model. And a loverly paint job. (Much much better than my own of a quarter century ago.)

The nice think is that I'm just recycling some old miniatures, I traded the broken goblin some time ago. ;)
Soon I should receive 4 grenadier/mirliton nihon orcs (samurai orcs) that I traded with a member of the forum ;)
I will paint them as hobgoblins and companions of Nitsume :grin:

Back