Eldar Pirates, The Saphery Reavers

Frank FJA

So I know some said they wanted to see some more of my recent Rogue Trader Eldar Pirates, so I decided to make a showcase for the “Saphery Reavers” and the rest of their Warband as seen in my Void Spiders Astartes showcase. This log has been edited a bit to fit with the post and I’ve added some more lore for you all to check out along with the recent additions to the Warband!

Power Output: 657012G/e
Code — Override —
Authorization — Override —
Device — Ignore Protocol —
File — Accessed — Warning
Unauthorized Access

CLASSIFIED
Subject: 8/7/<XENOS> ELDAR-{Pirate};
File: 3150003.M42
Loading: 99.9% complete
Source: Imp/Inq/Psy/H
Access Code: Lelia-K

SITUATION REPORT ON ELDAR PIRATE ACTIVITY IN IMPERIAL SPACE

Directed to: +++++++ Admiral Violet Evergreene, Naval Command Station, Kreator Orbit.

Commit to: +++++++ Imperial EP 104, TYCHO/ Inquisition INR 3778/56

Cross-file to: +++++++ XenosAttacks [XATt]

Transmitted: +++++++ werearewe [Betrasseus System]

Purity Check: +++++++ Inquisitor Strictus

Input Date: +++++++ 9309005.M42

Complied: +++++++ Aurora Skorn, Interrogator Major, Officio Monitoris, Betrasseus Sector

Thought For The Day: “An Alien mind cannot except the Emperor’s Blessing.”

Eldar Saphery Reavers

The mysterious Warband of Eldar known as the “Saphery Reavers” or “Reavers of Saphery” is suspected to have originally hailed from the Craftworld of Alaitoc, mainly due to having seemingly close ties with the Craftworld, often offering safe passage through the webway for individuals to and from it. They are also the closest ally of The equally mysterious Void Spiders Renegade Astartes Chapter. Often wherever the Void Spiders are seen conducting operations with their elite kill teams - any number of Saphery Reavers may accompany them, though usually few in number. Interestingly, these Eldar are usually in secondary command of the Void Spiders Strike Forces, offering vital information and tactics - particularly when the Void Spiders are attacking within the Webway. Many Ordo Xenos Inquisitors suspect that this is the reason why the Void Spiders have been able to appear upon every kind of battlefield almost anywhere at once. With a powerful ally able to transport these transhuman Astartes anywhere they need to be, it has become increasingly difficult to predict and counter attack their highly coordinated strike teams.

Over the years imperial investigators have noted an increase in non-standard technology and alterations to the Void Spiders armor, weapons and equipment. All too often Ordo Xenos operatives have noted their weaponry and armor have had subtle, but noticeable adjustments and combinations with Eldar wraithbone technology. In particular, the Void Spiders tend to favor a highly altered version of the MKVI Corvus Powered Armor - offering a deadly combination of Eldar auto-sense and stealth technologies as well as micro-mesh implants for greater mobility and slightly thinner form fitting power armor pieces. This combination of raw Astartes power and Eldar witch-tech is both terrifyingly lethal and disgusting.

The Eldar from the Saphery Reavers seem to not have any uniformity in their color scheme, making each member have unique armor and patterns with the exception of the yellow crescent moon sigil of their Warband.

Ordo Xeno Scholars note that this sigil is similar to Alaitoc’s, but have had little success in finding out what “Saphery” is. Some suspect it is a Craftworld itself, while others assume it is simply a place from Eldar Myth and legend. All that can be gleaned is from a recently discovered note off of the corpse of Inquisitor Vitris;

“The Kingdom of Saphery is an enchanted land, with skies that shine with all the colours of the rainbow, hills that move by night and warm rivers that glow with gentle light. Magic courses through the blood of Sapherian Elves, and all of the realm's princes are also Mages of awesome Power. They are reclusive and idiosyncratic, dwelling in exquisite mansions far from other outposts of civilisation. Each noble’s home has its own character that reflects the interests and magical research of its patron”

As stated, many believe that this is a place of Eldar Myth, though some others suspect that perhaps this was once one of the ancient planets of the Eldar Empire prior to its catastrophic fall. As for the strange term “Elves” it is suspected that this is simply another world for “Eldar” in this strange Xenos language - perhaps from one of its many vile dialects.

This Warband Of Corsairs is led by the notorious Abdul Squatsack, a powerful Eldar Corsair with a fleet of pirate vessels of various colors, banners and sigils - as well as being home to Eldar of all kinds, save the Exodites and elusive Harlequins. The one exception, much like their Corsair Infantry, is the Yellow Crescent Moon Symbol Of the Warband. Some scholars believe this Abdul Squatsack is actually not an Eldar at all, but an alias for the infamous Abdul Goldburg himself. Other sightings speculate that this Pirate Lord is in league with various other Xenos species and renegade rogue traders.

Ordo Xenos Interrogator Aroura Skorn notes that the Saphery Reavers have an Eldritch quality like no other Eldar he has studied. They seemingly have unmatched control of the ebb and flow of the ether and their already honed Psionic abilities. Strangely, many of its members are rogues or outcasts from the Kabals and cults of Commorragh, while many others are rebellious and lost Craftworlders - possibly from Alaitoc. Due to this it is also suspected that this Abdul Squatsack is a Psychic of terrifying power and influence.

In place of the Aspect warriors of the Craftworlds, the Saphery Reavers have been known to use specialized jet-pack units called “Swordmasters”. As their name Suggests they wield a variety of mono-molecular and serrated swords and blades, along with a brace of pistols varying from Shuriken, laser and Poisonous “Splinter” shards.

The Saphery Reavers are also not strangers within their perfidious race. While the Void Spiders seem to be a major exception, the Saphery Reavers often work as saboteurs and rangers for the armies of their kin. They have been seen defending Iyanden from Tyranid infestation, aiding Ulthwé in the Great War against the Runious powers near the Eye itself and even seen fighting alongside the Dark Eldar Kabals during the bloody raids of Duradin’s Reach. On one occasion the Saphery Reavers were seen furiously guarding and guiding a strange and aloof duo to a warp portal before destroying it permanently after they entered. One of them was clearly a bony, one-eyed Eldar wreathed in a scarlet robe, the other a plump Rogue ratling in colored, primitive mediaeval attire. Pict records show this duo constantly arguing, though they never left each other’s side. The Ratling was seen holding an odd, crumpled paper world map that, while blurry, seemed to belong to an age of antiquity. What any of this meant or what it’s importance was may never be known.

Even with the knowledge gathered from Void Spider and Saphery Reavers Raids the Inquisition is still searching for any possible bases or starships within imperial space, however due to this Warbands nomadic nature and blistering speed they have yet to be found.

And some more shots of the crew thus far:

There’s only a few more Eldar left to paint so I’ll be posting them soon!

symphonicpoet

As I said in the WIP thread, I'm quite liking these. Very nice paint. Very subtle. Love the stary helmet. Love the lunula crest. And the way you've layed it out with the fluff is very nice ideed! :)

Frank FJA

Thanks guys!!!

This next post has some of the final members of the Corsairs Warband for this showcase.

This one with the strange contraption over his shoulder and helmet is the Warbands Comms/scout/spotter, while the green helmed Corsair with the metal case serves as the Gang’s Medic.

The grey Comms dude’s helmet design was inspired by the famous Tree of Gondor.

And some more group shots:

The final addition to this Warband of mysterious Eldar Pirates will be their leader...

symphonicpoet

This is going to be a great band. Heck, it already is. :) Love the new additions. I really need to paint up the fellow with the box myself.

Frank FJA

symphonicpoet":agpg1d0r said:
This is going to be a great band. Heck, it already is. :) Love the new additions. I really need to paint up the fellow with the box myself.

Thank you! It’s been a fun project for me especially since The Eldar were my first army and even though the sculpts are largely before my time, they were the minis I grew up with - namely this final miniature for the Warband (and one of my favorite sculpts ever): The Farseer.

File/347817-3/20E-D

The Warband of Eldar Corsairs - “Saphery Reavers” has been a plague within Imperial space for hundreds of years. This fickle pirate fleet has many connections with its wider kin and has been known to sell their swords to other races within the galaxy for exorbitant fees. The Saphery Reavers have plundered the planets of Ghorost IV near the Scaar asteroid Belt with an alliance of Dark Eldar Raiders, while at “The Battle for Harad Pass” upon the planet of Sicar Primus the Saphery Reavers aided the Craftworlders of Alaitoc in the defense of a hidden Webway Gate.

Aside from the Void Spiders Astartes Chapter, The Saphery Reavers seem to trust no one completely, save for the various Craftworlds that it’s members hail from - mainly Ulthwé and Alaitoc. Imperial Xenologists theorize their leader may be from Ulthwé since he has been noted to be a Psyker of awesome power, able to read the skeins of fate as expertly as he can cut a swathe of destruction through the ranks of the enemy with the raw stuff of the Warp. Some even suspect that this individual may even have hailed from this “Land of Saphery”. Perhaps the scant information we have on this (possibly non-existent) place that references powerful “Magic” may also be the reason for this individual’s sorcerous potency.

This individual has become infamous for appearing beside some of the most notorious enemies and allies of our beloved Imperium. At the beginning of the 13th Black Crusade, this Psyker was seen fighting alongside Eldrad Ulthran and his Ynnari Warbands against the forces of the Arch Enemy, Months later he was fighting with his Retinue of Corsairs beside Urien Rakarth and his terrifying army of flesh-crafted monstrosities as they pillaged the planet of Igno’s Breach. This elusive individual will be found and destroyed, regardless of his true allegiances - the havoc wrought by this powerful psychic and his Warband of pirates must not be ignored.

When the smoke of these dark days clears, we shall exterminate these disgusting Corsairs with extreme prejudice...

Those keen-eyed viewers may notice that most of the sigils and symbols on The Farseer’s cloak are actually some of the symbols of the Kingdoms of Ulthuan. This was a great project and I can’t wait to have these guys carve out their reputations amongst the stars.

“The Galaxy is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed”

symphonicpoet

Oh, sweet! Your farseer is a great addition. I think I have a damaged farseer floating around somewhere that needs painting, but I don't recall it looking so cool as that one. The runes on the shawl really pop.

dazza36

I just love your colour palette for all your models. There's a real grimey earthy feel to them, which fits in perfectly for how I imagine the 40k universe to be.

Flinsh

Great looking unit. But Farseer is moust awesome! I like the color sheme and gems moust, model is fun to look at, gratz!
Btw like those bases, simple as they should be :)

Frank FJA

Hello everyone!

It really means a lot hearing these encouraging comments! Admittedly the choices of color all all very much chosen on a whim and I was worried it wouldn’t work but I’m glad they have some form of cohesion while still being wild and unique. The Eldar are my favorite race in 40k by a long shot so in the end I’m very happy people can enjoy seeing them as much I do painting and gaming with these space elves.

Here we have a MASSIVE update for this showcase....

The Dreadful spirit warriors of the Saphery Reavers Corsair fleet are a true force to be reckoned with. Empty vessels are Supplied by various Craftworlds as payment and thanks for aid, while others are psychically grown and constructed themselves - they are the most dreadful and powerful warriors at their Corsair fleets disposal. They are often implanted with the spirit stones of particularly brave, dangerous and infamous Corsair warriors - continuing their dreaded legacy of piracy and heroism even beyond death. These warriors are always where the fighting is thickest as well as being used in specialized missions with scalpel-like precision in more hazardous situations.

These towering constructs of wraithbone burn, smash and crush the enemies of the Craftworlders with murderous efficiency and shocking destructions These ‘Ghost Warriors’ in particular are very numerous and often unseen by any technological tracking devices as well as having no known psychic presence. It is suspected that they are implanted with a ‘null field’ device of some kind, making them all but impossible to detect until the Constructs are seen by the naked eye.

This has also Ordo Xenos scholars to re-thank the origins of the majority of this Pirate fleets members since these Ghost Warriors typically outnumber the ‘living’ Eldar Corsairs in Battle. Many argue these warriors actually hail from the dying Craftworld of Iyanden... though their previous suspicions still have merit.

Even these destructive warriors have personalized weapons and armor - much like their mortal brethren.

I opted for a standard silver scheme for the bodies. This was done mainly because I wanted them to look semi coherent as Wraith units while also blending them into the infantry some more. It also evokes this possibility that the Saphery Reavers fleet often requires them to forgo any kind of painted colors and heraldry upon construction by the Bonesingers - preferring to have an influx of powerful constructs for use in these dire times and leaving personal colors and embellishments to be done later by their comrades.

And finally... in these dark days of Ending sacrifices must be made. Not even the soul-science and necromancy that powers the Ghost Warriors is enough to stem the tides.

The Blood Thirsty Avatar of Khaine!

This Foul Demonic creature invigorates the Craftworlders and Corsairs along side the Saphery Reavers. This being is a wailing, burning manifestation of vengeance and rage, unleashing an unholy and furious storm through the ranks of the enemy....

Here is our Warband thus far...

File/34r5// ‘Vampire- Ghost’//33/16-E4

Void Dreamer Corum Jhaelen, the last Eldar of Craftworld Vadhagh leads his Corsair allies to war with the aid of his undead Vahdhagh wraith constructs and an Avatar of Khaine. His intimate connection to his Craftworld’s long dead and Psychic potency allow him to craft artful swaths of destruction with his relics and Loremaster allies from the magical realm of Saphery...

And that’s it for now, everyone!

symphonicpoet

That's turning into a glorious bunch of heroes for hire there. :) The support is lovely and the story makes good sense. Fantastic work!

Golgfag1

Simply, but very effective use of colour, most impressed. I'll be lifting that idea for my own walkers.

Well done sir

Paul/Golgfag1

Frank FJA

Thanks! I’m glad that everyone’s been enjoying this Warband thus far! I also appreciate the comments on the choices of color - I was worried about the semi-uniform look of the Wraith units and may experiment with some of the other minis for this Warband with a similar “unique-but-uniform” style, particularly in the form of The Craftworlder’s other various Corsair allies...

Another pretty decent update for the Saphery Reavers Showcase...

The Corsairs Of Saphery aren’t the most powerful fleet in the collective warhosts of the Eldar Raiders, however their backbone is bulked by pacts with infamous Craftworlds and Corsair Empires including the Legendary Eldritch Raiders, Craftworlds Iyanden, Mymeara, Ulthwé and the mysterious, empty Craftworld of Vadhagh - marching to war with the awakened Souls of its long dead people.

Though the Eldar of Vadhagh suffered a horrific fate, the last of its people take the form of Wraith constructs led by a single being, the Void Dreamer Corum Jhaelen.

Corum was once a proud member of his Vadhagh people - living in undisturbed peace and tranquility, dedicating the majority of their humble existence to the pursuit of the arts. For a time, before their ultimate destruction, the Eldar of Vadhagh thought themselves the very last Eldar in existence. They had no contact with the rest of their kin after the fall and sought only seclusion and safety amongst the stars. Due to this precarious position the Vadhagh Craftworld was in, its people held tenaciously to their culture - vehemently defending, teaching and crafting works in the memory of their once proud and beautiful empire.

Though they did travel stealthily, consistently evading the myriad of enemies within the galaxy, notably the Brutish Ork, Savage Tyranid and then fledgling Imperium - they had to contend with horrific worshippers of chaos in all their forms. Through this they endured with a standing army of Guardian Militia. Their civilian soldiers would hold the line valiantly, though every victory took a bloody toll on their Craftworld and slowly they would add up to their mysterious and ultimate annihilation.

Even in the time of the fledgling Imperium, they kept a weary distance. However, legends tell of the Vadhgah Eldar visiting Old Earth in the time of the wasteland wars, that they had allowed the then young Soon-to-be emperor aboard their worldship at times, along with his retinues. Though any proof of this affair is all but borderline fiction, it is said the emperor made many pacts with the Craftworld in return for their teachings of soul science and knowledge of the Warp. This is only kept in mind due to very rare, but strange circumstances where even many thousands of years later, Corum’s Craftworld has had aid from the Emperors Custodian Guard and Grey Knights for protection. Why or even if these events happened is startling to say the least, and it must be noted that this Craftworld’s forces and allies have attacked Imperial territory before these events and since.

Though Vadhagh Craftworld’s pursuit in less warlike affairs would ultimately be its very undoing, the last of its people - Corum, would make many allies within the Corsair Warbands of the Eldar. It is a sad fate that only after the Craftworld was all but destroyed it then finally came in contact with other survivors of the Eldar Empire. Even now in these dark days, Vadhagh is a force to be reckoned with. Corum is now faced with the unfortunate task of defending the memory and souls of his people through summoning them from eternal rest as mighty wraithguard and wraithlords. With the aid of his home’s connection to the magical land of Saphery and various Corsair Warbands - the fate of Craftworld Vadhagh’s ancestors is not lost.

symphonicpoet

Oh, but this post keeps on giving! :) Well written sir. In particular, there's one typographical error near and dear to my heart: "consistently evading the myriad of enemies within the galaxy, notably the British Ork . . . "

Just the one fellow, really. But he is quite tall. Pops up and shouts "Dins-Corum!" occasionally from behind buildings around London.

Anyway, I know you meant "brutish ork," but given that I've heard orks were to some extent inspired by American gangster movies the Yank in me is happy to see that they do indeed come in all nationalities. (I'd long suspected as much.)

Anyway . . . lovely stuff! Your combination of art and machine is fantastic. I love what you've done with all the helmets. And the unifying element of the crescents on the cloaks remains a very nice touch.

Frank FJA

symphonicpoet":1en9awaz said:
Oh, but this post keeps on giving! :) Well written sir. In particular, there's one typographical error near and dear to my heart: "consistently evading the myriad of enemies within the galaxy, notably the British Ork . . . "

Just the one fellow, really. But he is quite tall. Pops up and shouts "Dins-Corum!" occasionally from behind buildings around London.

Anyway, I know you meant "brutish ork," but given that I've heard orks were to some extent inspired by American gangster movies the Yank in me is happy to see that they do indeed come in all nationalities. (I'd long suspected as much.)

LMAO just fixed this! But thank you. I’m trying to Unify this otherwise haphazard color scheme through narrative and the present influences of the connection to The Olde Worlde through The High Elves Saphery.

symphonicpoet

^Well, something so lovely as British Ork was bound not to last. *sigh* Of course, in the end, aren't all orks British orks? Seeing as they are, after all, ultimately the invention of some Cambridge academic or other.

Anyway, you're doing a lovely job. The disparate paint is a part of what makes it glorious.

Really wonderful painting and atmosphere! and the Marines also. I have a box of Eldar here unpainted, this makes me want to open the box and work on them, but already too many different things being painted. Always look forward to your thread updates.

Frank FJA

Pygmy Witch Doctor":38b6awo2 said:
Really wonderful painting and atmosphere! and the Marines also. I have a box of Eldar here unpainted, this makes me want to open the box and work on them, but already too many different things being painted. Always look forward to your thread updates.

Thank you! It’s honestly humbling that I could get anyone to go pick up the brush!

Another showcase update: The backbone of the Saphery Reavers and the mighty Seers...

The Saphery Reavers are a relatively small Corsair Warband with it’s vast majority exclusively within the realm of Saphery itself - when going to war it almost exclusively sends elite Strike teams of Eldar Warriors armed with strange magical artifacts and usually led by a potent Sorcerer known as a “Loremaster”. However, when going to war on a large scale they often call upon the plethora of disparate Warbands of Eldar Corsairs under their wing, wither though undying loyalty, bribery with magical artifacts or even possible recruitment and entrance to Saphery. These many marauding units and fleets collectively make up the backbone of their raiding forces along side the Ghost Warriors of Corum.

“The Darkstar Brotherhood”

The Infamous Darkstar Brotherhood have their bloody origins embedded within the turbulent whirlwind of the Screaming Vortex. Within the Screaming Vortex are countless petty empires, chaos strongholds, Pirates, lost human colonies and all manner of dangerous and whimsical Xenos worlds and societies yet to be studied and destroyed by the Imperium. Within this lawless sector of chaos controlled space is the trade-hub and Scum-world of Finubar’s Reach. Hundreds of years ago this once vibrant angri world was tainted by warpstorms and demonic incursions - miraculously disparate human Pirates and mortal chaos Legions were able to colonize this hellish waste, creating a sprawling Hive world populated by billions of xenogens, mutants and renegades. As a safe haven for the worst in the galaxy it contained many macabre wonders, the most infamous of which was the “Gladatratrixion Death Areana” a wide swath of death-defying races, gauntlets, pyrotechnic acrobatic combats, zero-gravity arena death matches and terraformed wastes that held massive battles between armies of death-sport Athletes. The most memorable and world changing event held was the yearly challenge “Wraithsprial Tower Of Power!” - an unimaginably vast, continent sized spinning tower filled to the brim of death traps, magma pits, Jet cycle race-lanes and extra-dimensional creatures. For more than 156 years it was never conquered until the newly established “Team Darkstar” earned its place within the gauntlet challenge in the tower. For a decade Team Darkstar was a highly praised arena team of Eldar Warriors from around the galaxy, fighting to prove their gladiatorial supremacy. Many would bet against the Jumstart Team Darkstar as they began to make a name for themselves within the Gladatrixion. For 3 weeks 10 hand picked members of Team Darkstar would climb the Tower of Power and eventually earn their place - killing their enemies and avoiding the worst horrors of bloody entertainment before reaching the very top of the spire and claiming the the Coveted Ruby Stone Of Xariax after a final, visceral conflict with an Astartes Champion Of Khorne. Though only three of them would survive the affair, they had solidified their place in the history of the Screaming Vortex, thereafter adding a stylized Ruby jewel in the center Of their Team Symbol’s Jet-Black Star - vowing to create a fleet in their name to continue their exploits amongst the stars. From then on the original Trinity Eldar that succeeded became the first “Barons” of their Warband, renaming themselves “The Botherhood of Darkstar”. Their Corsair band would continue for centuries to led by not one Corsair Commander, but a mighty Triumvirate Of Eldar arena fighters. Though they still have many of their member contend in the Gladatrixion Arena, they have since become a standing army of sorts - protecting their planet of legend whenever invasion threats its precious Spire.

“The Blacksun Raiders”

The Blacksun Raiders are one of the most elusive Warbands amongst the disparate Eldar Corsair fleets. They almost exclusively fight in darkness - a strange, venomous blackness surrounding their Psykers and Reaver squads as they ambush their enemies. The Imperial Inquisition also has noted an increase of “Quenched Stars” wherever they raid. The Ordo Xenos suspects they are in league with the Sun-stealing Solar Cults of the Dark Eldar.

“Voidborn of Solar”

The Voidborn of Solar are unique amongst the Corsairs and wider Craftworlds in that none of them, save the odd enigmatic recruit here and there, hail from any Craftworld or Exodite planet. Instead their initial origins are shrouded in mystery, however all Eldar within this priatical fleet are born solely within their disparate space shuttles, both Eldar and raided alien vessels. It is said that their Craftworld had drifted for centuries beyond the Milky Way, never to return - only derelict Eldar ships drifted back after many years. Due to these origins, they are often not trusted by their kin and rumored to have cold blood and translucent skin under their armor. Whatever the case they are seen often with the strange Harlequins and suspected to have many of their number recruited into their mysterious order.

“Kilroy‘s Reavers”

Kilroy’s Reavers are a small, but violent Warband of Eldar Raiders often found attacking startlingly close to Holy Terra. Their Self-styled “Duke” Kilroy leads them to war from the front and has been confirmed killed on more than a dozen battlefields. How this is possible is unknown, Ordo Xenos Inquisitors suggest this “Kilroy” is simply an odd honorary title within the fleet with the next in line to take it. Others think this Warband May be of the Eldar’s Dark Kin - implying their use of Haemonculi “Soul-Sciences”. In an interesting (and horrifyingly heretical) twist, DNA was found and collected from this Kilroy after he was wounded at the Raid for Duradin’s Breach - a bizarre mixture human and Eldar DNA was found within it.

This Corsair fleet also has its own Seer council made up of disciplined Psykers, who in the past dedicated themselves to the Witch Path. All of them still have their Craftworlds old war gear, including their infamous Ghosthelms. The Majority Of these Individuals hail from Craftworld Iyanden - their experience with guiding the Undead Spirits to war in their Wraithbone bodies invaluable to the fleets War efforts.

Farseer Xianus Stormspear, Sanctic Demonologist and banisher of the Keeper of Secrets, S’thyla.

Farseer Aryellen Soulhealer, Warphealer and savior of the human colony of Sevora’s Retreat and Craftworld W’Soraen.

Warlock ‘Dragon Prince’ Havarthi Fireblade, former Exodite Dragon-Rider and destroyer of Archon Vashan, Lord of the Kabal of the Flayed Hand.

That’s it again for now.... Last are just a couple more Warlocks for the Seer Council.

But here’s a shot of the Elf horde for fun!

Back