Murderers in Power Armor - RTB01 Night Lords

Frank FJA

Hey, everyone! Here’s some more models from my collection I finished fairly recently.

The Great Crusade (and Heresy) Era IIIX Legion, The Night Lords...

For the Flayed Skin I had to sculpt it in greenstuff. i used a small pin to help add the stitch-marks and wrinkles...

“Gimmie yer wallet!”

Some of these Night Lords have skull masks painted onto their MK VI helmets - honestly the best helmets for any kind of wacky freehand or designs.

All the soldiers from the IIIX Legion bear some form of grisly fetishes and trophies - skulls, body parts and in this case the Flayed Skin of their enemies... some more than others, preferring to terrify their opponents by warring the dead skin masks of their fallen comrades.

LE10 Marine- Commander Veshar.

Even though the Night Lords have their origins in the Rogue Trader Era (mentioned as a Khornate chapter of space marines in the Slaves to Darkness book) I find that most people probably assoaciate them more with modern 40k stuff, however I actually find that their very heavy metal colors cheme with Lightning all over their dark armor to be very much at home in Rogue Trader. Even looking at more modern sculpts, I think the scheme harkens back to the early days.

Speaking of some more modern sculpts, here we have some more Night Lords. These minis are actually a mixture of standard imperial space marines and space wolves from 2nd edition (along with some more chaos bits I had laying around) I like to thing of this group of Night Lords as my ‘Scavenger Suad’ wearing looted imperial marine armor:

For this unit I chose freehand the Legion badges. I also find that the space Wolf sculpts help add an extra element of brutality, which melds well with the Texas chainsaw massacre look I’ve tried to give them.

Finally we also have their leader: Captain Xephor Venthis.

This dude had some relatively extensive converting. I had to sculpt the fur pelt on his terminator armor, and pretty much sculpt his skin-gloves, gluing some 3rd edition Dark Eldar knifes to his plastic wrists and wrapping the green stuff around them:

That’s about it for now... thanks for taking a look!

symphonicpoet

I have a friend that's been painting Night Lords since early days. Yours look good and quite at home in RT. (Which, well, beakies.) Well done!

The RT ones are awesome! They look really sociopathic! One headcanon I have for older RT without Realm of Chaos is that Night Lords are just another chapter of Space Marines and are at home among such chapters as Flesh Tearers, Flesh Eaters, Silver Skulls, etc. XD .

Frank FJA

Thanks everyone! Believe me they will be terrorizing many planets into compliance for the Great Crusade!

AranaszarSzuur":1zibxlg4 said:
The RT ones are awesome! They look really sociopathic! One headcanon I have for older RT without Realm of Chaos is that Night Lords are just another chapter of Space Marines and are at home among such chapters as Flesh Tearers, Flesh Eaters, Silver Skulls, etc. XD .

I completely agree! In terms of Rogue Trader specifically I find the night lords really fit in with many chapters of that era especially since their recruits are often criminals or just simply the worst humanity has to offer, but made into the “best” of it.

I’ve since painted my next addition to the army...

A MKI Rhino!

For this APC I decided on not going with the standard legion colors, instead for a more practical “Stealth” styled variant... though I couldn’t resist at least SOME navy blue and heavy metal lightning!

Ready to transport these Modnight clad murderers to the flanks...

symphonicpoet

One of the things I most loved about the early compendia that came out just after Rogue Trader was that they showed marines in camouflage. Straight up. For specific battles in particular places. I personally have Space Wolf tanks in Red, green, grey, and beige camouflage, as well as marines in all of the above plus dark blue. Some of them haven't seen the light of day since the late eighties, but hey . . . there might be time to fix them and drag them back out. Paint that sucker green! It's okay. (Cool even. ) :)

Also: sweet ride!

Back