C34 Beastman Raider Cavalry - Standard Bearer

King Arthur

Hello Oldhammerers!

May I present to you, my interpretation of a classic C34 Chaos Beastman Raider!

IMG-1320.jpg

IMG-1324.jpg

IMG-1315.jpg

IMG-1330.jpg

IMG-1332.jpg

IMG-1336.jpg

IMG-1338.jpg

IMG-1339.jpg

IMG-1340.jpg

IMG-1341.jpg

IMG-1342.jpg

IMG-1343.jpg

This is the first model of many which I sincerely hope to paint for a 2nd Edition Pre Slotta Chaos Army! I will most likely break down the project though in to smaller armies (suitable for Dragon Rampant) to increase variety and keep the mojo going!

This model, as said is from the C34 Beastman Raider line, the original models are here:

http://www.solegends.com/citc/c027beastmen/index.htm

The model I painted had a broken weapon, so I thought it a good opportunity to turn it into a Standard Bearer! I drilled out a hole in its hand and used a brass Pike I got from Gripping Beast to act as the banner pole. I wanted something mystical for the banner, so I looked in to Japanese and Welsh Creature Mythology! The finished banner is pastels onto Japanese rice paper, burnt with a lighter to give it a sense of use and battle damage. I love using rice paper for flags as you can sculpt into shape whilst its drying using PVA glue and it gives a real feeling of movement in the wind.

For the rider, I used references from Giant Squids, as I really liked the idea of a bright orange against the darker muted tones of the horse and base. I also used a shield from the SS1 Champions of Chaos set for the rider. The horse was painted using references from Zebras and Ostriches, I don't like the chain mail cover for the head, it looked odd, so I sculpted out of epoxy resin a hood to give it a sense of plague or infection. I also sculpted a blanket roll on the horses rump, as I want the army to have an on campaign feel to it.

Lastly was the base, I used a mixture of wood filler, Tea Clippings, Epoxy Resin and Pine Tree Needles to complete it!! I also added some Toad stalls and a little macabre pond containing a floating head.....

I hope you enjoy my rendition of this classic model.

Best Regards

Gary

Outsider

This looks absolutely stunning; fantastic work and really inspirationa, especially with the banner. I'll have to look into using rice paper for my next army.

Really like this alot. and was happy to find the floating head on base in the photos. looking forward very much to see more join the army on campaign and glad there is some zebra and ostrich mystic energy appearing.

GeOrc

Very nice work on this rider! I like the different colours and patterns very much! Very oldhammer! Can you tell a bit more about the head of this horse? In the first moment I tought it was a casted not properly until I read floathing head? However, the head did not appear on the so legends page you cited. Any more references or informations?

Kind Regards,
GeOrc

Plaiecivile

Good execution!

I really like how all the various colors sort of blend together and matches the scene.
A full unit following that pattern will be a great spectacle!

King Arthur

GeOrc":2fdgstuv said:
Very nice work on this rider! I like the different colours and patterns very much! Very oldhammer! Can you tell a bit more about the head of this horse? In the first moment I tought it was a casted not properly until I read floathing head? However, the head did not appear on the so legends page you cited. Any more references or informations?

Kind Regards,
GeOrc

Hi GeOrc,

The 'Floating Head' I wrote about is not the horse itself, it's a detail I placed on the base, if you look again, there's a Woman's face peering out of the little pond.....

The actual Horses Head I converted, the link I gave for SoL was to show how the original head looked, I personally didn't like how it looked; so I sculpted from an epoxy putty a Hood for the horse, there are historical and of course fantastical references for horses heads being covered in hoods, especially ones that worked on Plague Carts in medieval Europe, so I wanted to replicate the look as it has a very sinister feel to it!

Also, thank you to everyone else for your comments!

Best Regards

Back