GeOrcs Oldhammer Dark Elves Log

GeOrc

Hi Oldhammer Community,
after 20 years in the Warhammer Fantasy Hobby I returned to my roots and started repainting my first 4th Edition Dark Elves. It all started last year during some vacation in Italy and since then I had a lot of fun to paint the first miniatures with nowadays painting skills. Some of you perhaps noticed my Dark Elves Champion with was my first try on these old beauties.

DE-Champion_04_s.jpg

The Champion won the Golden Gobbo Contest last year and get a lot of positive feedback in social media. Some of the members here motivated me to continue the project here on the board and to post my progress. I hope you enjoy this topic and I am looking forward to a nice and interesting discussion.

I set my first goal to create and paint a small warband in reference to a picture from the 5th Edition Bestiary:

Dunkelelfen%2BStreitmacht%2B4th%2BEdition.jpg

I remember starring on this picture for ages! This was because it contains the miniature of the Black Dragon Rider as well as the two most iconic units, Withc Elves and Cold One Riders. These top three were the reason I decided for this army and starting the Warhammer Hobby. But it also contains the executioners. As I heard that these were never released officially I was very frustrated. Consequently, I starred at this picture in disbelief and sucked in every detail to create some as close as possible related conversions. I never dreamed that I will be able to get my hands on these but finally I was able to get a big unit of these axe wielding guys in the US. Since then the executioners are one of my most beloved unit, as these were linked with a ton of happyness when I fianlly get them in my hands.

I started this project with the Witch Elves unit:

Witch-Elves_raw-s.jpg

I wanted to paint each available miniature as well as the Talisman plastic Witch Elf which was often used as Champion back in the 90s. Therefore, this unit contains of all 9 available Witch Elf miniatures. So far I have painted 3 Troopers and the Champion. Two more are Work in Progress:

48387510_10218257917857666_4755267466622402560_n.jpg

Then, I prepared the Executioner unit and painted the first test Miniatures:

Executioners_02.jpg

Again the unit contains all eight known executioner miniatures. I used the one with the big axe as a leader and added a generic command crew. I thought a long time if I should paint these guys in red as I used this colour with the Witch Elves reflection their association to the bloody handed god Khaine. Finally, I decieded to go with purple colours similiar to the Beastiary picture as this look creates a much darker and sinister appearance of the miniatures.

Executioner_001.jpg

Finally, I started my work on the Cold One Riders. I painted the Champion miniature as a test piece and it turned out very good.

Cold-One-Knight_001.jpg

I was quickly motivated to create the rest of the unit. I planned 4 Knights and the Command Crew consisting of the Champion and the Standard Bearer. Again I started with the base design and prepared the miniatures. Meanwhile, I get two more Cold Ones prepared and started painting them. These were the last miniatures I painted so far and you see one of them is still WIP:

Cold-One-Knight_009.jpg

That´s a short summary of this project so far. There is still a lot of work to do and I will post my further progress here. I would be happy to talk about the Dark Elves of the 90s and to discuss my work in furter detail. From time to time I also summ up my efforts in my Blog: https://georcs-workbench.blogspot.com/ You will finde there more pictures and information about my work.

I hope you enjoy this Log and look forward to your comments.

Kind Regards,
GeOrc

Plaiecivile

Wow you really bring these guys to life!
And those blades, especially on the cold one rider champion, are top shelf work.

Keep feeding us ;)

Chico

Very nice mate I love those 4th/5th edition Dark Elves, I remember starring at the Army Book too but mostly at the army shots and wishing i could get the unreleased Dark Riders and Executioner miniatures hidden in the pictures

annagul

Wow! 4th edition Dark Elves was my impossible love back in 90s. I hope collect a decent 4th ed. army in the future. If I do, your paint job will be a inspiration for me, I really love them!

ardyer

Welcome! I've been drooling over your blog since I found it on Facebook. Glad your came here too.

GeOrc

Thank you all for Reading and for the first Feedback!

@twisted moon
Thanks mate! In the moment I am still working on the Cold One Knights. There is need to finish preperation on three Knights as well as to finish the painting on two Cold Ones. Therefore, the next updates will be surely Cold One Knights as well :)

@Plaiecivile
Thank you very much! I have a lot of fnu painting these guys. I never thought that my NMM Technique would work very ood on these miniatures as there the weapons are mostly big and clumsy. Additionally the odd number of areas of sword makes it difficult to create a good looking NMM and requires often difficult reflections. However it worked fine and beside it is sometimes hard to paint that, I enjoyed it very much. There will be more progress on the Cold One Knights in the next weeks as these get me in their grip and I want to see them finished.

@inchmurrin,
Thank you! I get a lot of positive Feedback for my flesh tone. I think it is time to write a more detailed article for this topic on my blog ;)

@Chico,
Thank you for your feedback! That sounds familiar! Collecting Dark Elves in 4th/5th Edition required a high frustration limit. Especially when you started late in the 5th Edition and most of the stuff they used from different Games like the Talisman Elves or some of the early regular releases have already disappeared. I do not know any army having a similiar high count of unreleased stuff at least it this is known in the public.

@annagul,
Thanks! Why impossible? Were there to much other armys on your Workbench? Feel free to join the club of the Dread Lords ;)

@ardyer,
Thank you very much! Good to hear that some people read through the blog :) I always enjoyed the forums as these offer better communication ways. I would love to see here a more detailed discussion as this is possible in Facebook and co.

@Spafell,
Thank you!

Kind Regards,
GeOrc

BobbiJay

I'm not entirely sure the bases are to my tastes for a regiment, if I'm honest. That said, the techniques and the colour choices are producing undeniably beautiful results. I know my Dark Elves will never get to that state, but it's a heck of a nice inspiration!

GeOrc

@ BobbiJay,
Thanks for your comment! Because of the Bases. Evan if I sometimes play with my miniatures, most of the time they spend their time in my cabinets. Therefore, I paint primary for the cabinet and painting contests and therefore developed methods to create bases looking more like displays than being efficient for Gaming. Perhaps this explanation helps to understand a bit of the Base Design.

@all,
fresh from my Workbench. I started painting the Dark Elves General Cold One this weekend:

0bJnFLOT_J9yw6qxjCEAkesSgV1X4GNwL3OtViae_G5rtVoBeW71K4sbeT7GVQZnwyMzsxe09PID22TO5oSCiL5ZnRQaoxcrEIquvHHk0AGYbWXSQ920_eeDZX-sWQHElB1s9bi3Dao3-Pp2FmFvq_sWKOMD767HFGG9JrAguyjjbnBvLhBiL7EGPi7Vh45SqysppOuC_LceghndqpTloXcR_Y9EshAtrFPnptnpjIU6tScHH_Pb9PYuFAxY47BYjGvkYDd11QCDbcaQq8J9VRzNRdue3cIvKptkFeaLa4KGb-saoZTh6imPJaToaPgzNkuvbV9i07QUGMimXRR4Xj0OXKFMnqeGLW6bsbWeAcYZ7gdwDL9C-Rd4ITVOq9ygNUgTQxH3cNsaDOY0gDkym_l7xVqIQc4zGb4A6dfg03vXz_fqJrP_udbQaH9Q0RZn5JJDDSsKj4KJ4PyGiKoghgzIwUEgrgve1sK9eIgve1F-Pgk5QbTVn6Eubt-HCAjVs2pi_5F0hwBDIUyKZAASV0k66GPoEfk_AVXxLn5vxiAqYUv2UfnXCpiH-aYCp33A6eALtcW3AgA-ICmaZ-g4a3ZBGKTn5377qTO3n5iIFjFU2EuNHoqqO08t7NMijQNHMsdIucU3ffaUfKPA52F6n94R=w512-h908-no

I tried to go on step more into the bluish direction. I really like the result so far and the colour works very good with the purple. It is still very WIP but I think you get an idea in which direction this ministure will go. Let me know what you think about it.

Kind Regards,
GeOrc

GeOrc

and more progress on the General Cold One

JzkumndyU1gn6ngUDqm8Cc0T4GHcXAhSW0HPkTzimFwzz9VjA9bV0zzTjNBbeKm4LXx5etvGmyBK0_kdGDxCM2bQLohomUMSWzmtqdqkn0c5uTEMk9AssFIZja2R4dguSVTKYcoLd288lemsyX-RvtJj7O83VQDi5zjRNKYWwFZRfdSPB7mw3FAYKyr-kbCr8N7fHGdWz0FOAT3jmGZ201d-mfFXFC_spICiQsr9wuimnJ5sa5KF_ZY15V8wlKjXkHYGCgHpZmCBB2nU72PrilGQ8__gM7sSLAd9ut1OrjZGJ0eidpo4dcMRUrMCaEpnS-lTLb_vTpFG2fg4E-k9AIaR6s-s9qM8lQAq-ydN89JpGzrlBZyDBw2-tiKsk1nd0ruln-dA6FDM3qnZ5h8zpfd883OsX55nIJOcqQwnth9VYrZqmit53IdpQuUYD11DwqouAYnN-zVXX7KyKcT_Nf450OcdQKNTc--eblUv-PSVl7-8XNQ3BLfwpYmX2Fus1lM_90k7WAUHtOlYwyz6RXii2ZSTCjx-1WZYvHSsNpxshKkMT41BRr9-7DNsK_hB1FT_mxPONwoQjpm5QmGAdZIaCK2gE2c0mFF8WARwEHVF721ED39sDMfYKj_I2mQrbzSRGbqkHL5gk2kqZmmtT88i=w1009-h966-no

s9np_y9YZ98Ozlt3OUXtapANVU3ieAbCaK_4Nu-UH9EvKwohKmcG2RXMqfbkan_lhK_FjO5ZHywq5PVtJumdAtQnuHtJqvLJnOlgcKRsVKxnMJXYaJjXbooDxYQ0nM0AjJBZWnl1C1kwF3_bwkwrB9cPR5jLRYpQVKxIfFo4io-vsI5i_sg3EWVBS_jnXrRUJ11YG48JmAQemzxno-Prz0ydcof5aAmuZI75kRlrROMQrXRPnCVqW3fvaZYB3HIbqkpHC3ULJU7zrus3oAenR_kjIJQNlaTh8wYZHiJhVfGbw1Imy2qeGAhMMaBpR_aMrs1Xb0fbrYf0RfJPgnNanJ2_1JzvOHgi1yILyfuimgenqtEYM3d-s8FYMcFfKzea6xxP-L9PQwUrZ-aU7pJv3z3rez6fk5N117gqdYljai0D1dH-jSmJxMe9POvr8BAkv0kbqWsJI1V8I86n1ZGus4QXB_beUZ57pb7ZXOA2Eko-kpjxY2ySYQvLulm053BFKh2-zDxra82-Lyc9VlSM4mYnJEzm5_aoRi1l5izmLxpIsnAqF3zcdHRDWmC-RC6ZkQeVOaPB5v7Qi2Co3Oba8umfQd2CAzwbb5Pcq5o5IEa8umgSWqUeXOGo4hpwKpIRxtLJ8AwluarsUGIOGF8UTjuA=w968-h966-no

6lqKDChDviHoJ4_hmenT5BeE6UOr0ouuG9DvXt1s2cDF5F77ninc3XhHWT0pSK3f3Qvl90aUYTcTqDGI-VqHOIsMUF8J5VVphmiVUh6lEVwsp92zIdu_Vd8R2xbI9ik_YiQrTXDEv2rbc_vk1Sa2vdYIoraJso-t2pwntojA26-Fo_YhBHozHBbuQomcv5Cfr_7io9mSYGSr3BZU8H00Jt1KBiVVZR_QIyJVzEr1D9YL8nY6tm-D_wXs6aADzyxqZiW_CzOJu1QRz-FN0eD453oOOUFXM_J8vda4UO3hRysJjhdsiCUv_1gXcQsr7vy4pa7AaEBveKxMJhEQMnOpT5xXFxYaTWob-pqUmYRFxS5r6MYcHoTJwFr80Oc-nh8pAdP9O4GoqmV4cDKRIYjtN4BqXCcKTyMSYeFrT5XfbI5G0dNH-9wWKODGRck3Ca6lFageuFx5vd46YuzBoPh0Yu7UJBOzInRrpHL7Gzn-4yjFYFMFCQh_66cLizJr9JyF-zFDN49tlfyLw1ZhTBJyEHhFX9Y7N0OzgIDaYsuh0yORprMW_84m1v7oqS_eaSurGyYk10zbaiqGZFpE8U8tPZt50p0om4n5kvvD9fpyr7E9QuqUj4H-xJ4r2wS7pePbsPRUFSiUlfR_hI4AFCXhhNy1=w924-h966-no

I noticed that the casting isn´t the best and there are a lot of casting errors and remaing mold lines. I tried to hide that as good as possible. However, so far I really like how this miniature develops. Let me know what you think.
Kind Regards,
GeOrc

Flinsh

Looking great so far! I like color sheme You go into. Also the base is nice, U did it on your own?
I assume its WIP model and u will take more time with gems?
Keep up good work :)

symphonicpoet

Love where you're going with this fellow. Lovely model, good colors. Nicely doing! (Since I am also guessing it's not quite done.)

GeOrc

Hi all,
thanks for your kind feedback!

@Flinsh, the Base bit is from the High Elf Prince Box. The plastic bit was molded and casted with gypsum.

Here some pictures of the finished General on Cold One:

General-om-Cold-One_001.jpg

General-om-Cold-One_002.jpg

You can see that I tried to replicate the studio painting of this miniature but improved it where necessary. In particular I disliked the red claws and the shield design. Here I tried to find alternative ways for painting them in a more natural or contemporary way, respectively. I am very happy with the final result.
You will find more pictures and additional informations on my Blog: https://georcs-workbench.blogspot.com/2 ... -1995.html

Additionally I want to share a WIP picture of the Cold One Knight Unit I am working on:

vKGUep4YZpv-XO3R4ogFmkIrkWZlqfA7uI-TxlI31dlxBuj0oPlL7Sag0fm8d3gmGWlofhq3k04s0mXdqDgTfiXO9gprGHq3KVqc_XOb98dGJ5Zc27VV0z1_QHGU87CnX69AHtxIecNcVAUTxI701ZnxhJh2e6bnYTAQ6b8A7CJ8_CaJoFUVvAvGq1UVHr2em87T1EU6Quz49RlqBxDbysHqD6Ojikz2V-uWVu3xKs9smWgc4Rmcu4Ye_KQmv0D8A2RckwlmxfGHJHusdH4pzOwrneCWkBz3cpw-5wJrCQlFmkP6oqS8C0VxcEhJYyCPsST4PzPL7EG-3Ho9ynFDCzt_nTfj2wWEwIBW9OVr4bbjkZKrJodaQkoZzzSrAV57BnP7jYbAdryy89JBuxZNaeX6IuhJEoBNoeFDAxQqCYhdZErdMTmYU4HGFQk7hvvWsM5Thkf_JFYwebK1NPe0LxE-gtxc8U3ZZ10LdPuD3a9vdPAQLnxiib1qvN7lkdybsyZ_6NyTRqhSxAhylNYRuyleThjOCUOaLRJl4CAE_ALThM2vCENHWmOakc9TumV38fNHM1ChShb2A6MMCfJv9ckyZTpY3fC_cXj2s2M4cOQ7gbjVAiUJIMyYOhi3RmIQjHawAoRKfHA4I9okahSetF3tn5rAcSc=w1007-h626-no

The unit is inspired by the studio army and tried to replicate it as detailed as possible. I was able to get even the rare Cold One parts, head #3 and tail #1 to rebuild the Cold One of the standard bearer and the 4th Knight of the initial Cold One Knight Release.

Oo1CG30RfoO7VD9Ac84XtpTUEiZ0x13jnw9G30pTUItqiA_tv0PRPukGVAZITF8300UXAKSLwThGo8w6amosUGglstVjmis601FCOzgbdoj4s5TqRMZ9Qm973kjthymuCOGUyoG_wTGghIzRGLZZR4A15GcxtF4W31fJ-DChhkhG-aVz-e8zPXbo-NfrEtDP_XuRncDdebMRmZXtFMeCHNCN94Ip3caLObq1R1Kx3NfQ4q3VJwIaCKtsmHLQMvfOLmNyFL4ZVmd_RejvQ1t_kHpRXp4cnlDxukJL8ACpPHx_0hUy4BKoCbtKwJsJrUvfKMwgcEXyZeHmOmN3AYjS4hyYW04mIYtBL_gwQ_4bacodiV0OtbSSUdUJYh8_yypW3tyDBPKPDyC3n0tdBF_z6QOqoDIIa5vuo9bK_KWiHAxqO_Bwop7nIrT_cdGPf3Of9aAL1LtCNYtpZQoLjyAuzqdjCT2Y050CdO0WNPuOXrLYN6PQXLU-i5UiF2o23bDMZDy5QHzHkYPNRsoc4iwZKrHwKiSe89lDW5wPE5WErsE7-V-RRcXSTfmZ8gxc7VDMaRwIaG5QoW8_8TV9_YgZXHbA8py7PYSQ_hrpQRlsbpvF94Xy9x-PHHSgG3WDFmmffh5478k7Rh3IFrTStc34rKTUFxZHa18=w412-h626-no

Unfortunately, the Knights itself suffer from two missing parts. To get this unit finished I need two times the rare lance #1

xSrmbsHkp-kYpTW90tDplit6hktfB_jYGuCAyGpokmFlp8rmOCK3KNH2-zVx5LCdXKGPP1_QE5pLZZoTmrD3SX8xMMEOmVQ8Z7NNe-oJCFImSwmkfRZ_zB0nd0rjqK1ooNNi3vKBKJ1Xa-lpAngkUDS5Vz0rZ4qwxqaH2hCyQ7BMYA-XwNXnqtEGjN9ZvNJNb1kvgxOICmK8ZJXVXgO6DLcQruYRA9WujJWlXcYBT9e1gmmpxdZSuGhHQ1i79bXcNFEFxL9HfdLKAJvq36eAyterEyjqaUoI3tr6fqb0h8sezgkWO-F6Xcl3FjvhGWwrH0tpnefCT0aghRsg1cN_Pf4n4HY1FBPWVY6ZeRRkfrl_j2qReRjqopwq1FcH6l0lsB07aqcNI2mL23kVzujOqkkEWmdBeQYNHwg67C1dmlbp4XA96J2PAbohFMn1Bns8_k4lhTLZ9I8flhToiDQLCmJPVEL7i5w61DYlFovbID9qClEtv2c6yfR7R0iLCMck15dgni99hZyUzTbMkFuNPARWYqkX7k8vHCA22JClm0rhJ2nDTyv2J-lkhSN_LVAgyCpnfesm4Wfu09serT6IJ4b_A7c3CpeS_fZs2OQjqusreX2M9GpO6BVIfM8xcOnVEDrFUxMSAQpIA1v9T0e8GxRtU9Zxd1g=w1223-h626-no

Despite looking regulary on ebay and in the FB marketplaces I was not able to get one of these. If you have seen this rare piece or have it in your collection and are willing to sell it as bit or as part of a Knight, please let me know.

I hope you like the progress so far.
As always I would be happy to read your comments.
Kind Regards,
GeOrc

Flinsh

Dude now as U showed finished model I see You have great talent. Model is totaly awesome and im still collecting my jaw from the floor ;)
Gems are crazy looking metalicks also. But this freehand on shield and standard is most impresive.
Love this one!

Base cast is home made? Looks like good quality.
Good luck with rest of guys ;)

GeOrc

Here I will show you my latest addition to my 4th edition Dark Elves project, the limited / unreleased warhydra sculptured by Trish Carden. The miniature was painted as contribution to the #makeatrish competition running in the Oldhammer Facebook group. The miniature was already primed and ready for painting as the competition was announced. I also already had the idea to paint it in my light green tones as I anted to see these colors on a bigger surface. So I had the miniature and the color scheme. The only thing missing was a basedesign. Here I copied an idea I already tried on a unit. Everything was in place and only one month left to finish this beast. I made it just in time. If you want to read a more detailed story and my thoughts on this miniature, check my Blog article: https://georcs-workbench.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-warhydra-limited-unreleased-dark.html

Here some pics of the final result:

Warhydra_012.jpg

Warhydra_006.jpg

Warhydra_007.jpg

Warhydra_008.jpg

Warhydra_009.jpg

I hope you like this monster. As always I would be happy to read your thoughts in the comments.

Kind Regards,
GeOrc

Plaiecivile

Wow this one leaves me speechless!
You nailed every aspect I like about painting monsters, posture, color harmony between miniature and base, context, detailed "natural" base... only you did it better than I can!

Keep up the good work.

Back