A little bit of old school Nippon

Juxt

I managed to play a tiny skirmish encounter last night and snapped a couple of shots of the final fight as the bosses of each side duked it out.

Samurai general on a mighty stone temple dog defending his village, accompanied by a halfling ashigaru and oni, versus a mysterious fox priest and three ghost samurai that he conjured up.

The temple dog has to win the award for 1988's least dynamic miniature, but I really like him and the samurai general is a fantastic sculpt packed with detail- the deerskin boots are really well done, the lacing on the armour is just as good as many modern samurai minis. I didn't use the correct Jes Goodwin lance as the details didn't match the rest of the (Aly Morrison?) model particularly well, opting to replace it with a Perry Brothers hand gripping a gunbai fan, much more suited to his position as a general. The only poor parts of the samurai to my mind are his eyes with one being sculpted much lower than the other, and the rather beefy oversized back banner. If only the rest of the Oriental Heroes samurai were as well crafted as the general, then I'd be hunting high and low to get a full set 8-)

Plaiecivile

This is a fabulous scene you have created, what strikes my eye is the depth of the scenery and all the lovely details of the surrounding nature.

I encourage you to give us more!

The Fat Git

Fantastic old models. I'm not an expert by any means but is the fox priest citadel? It looks like it may be a bit more recent.

Juxt

Thank you everyone :)

The fox priest is a pretty early citadel release, 1984 I think. It found it's way into a few ranges, chaos beastmen, oriental heroes and I think runequest too (?). The sculpt itself got altered and recast into a few different slotta based wizards throughout the eighties too, so you can see the robes and pose on a number of minis. Really nice sculpt, especially the Dragon headed staff.

Zhu Bajie

Some really lovely stuff there. Have to agree on that Fox Priest sculpt, like much of the early pre-slotta models, there's a subtelty and deftness to the sculpting that isn't there in later figures get bulkier and cartoonier.

Juxt

Thank you :)

I really need to pick up some more citadel nippon after the forthcoming expense of Christmas, the Jes Goodwin ogre obviously, a rocket launcher or two, and some Oriental Heroes. Maybe enough for an armys on parade board for 2019?

Juxt

I just finished putting paint to the hobgoblin temple dog rider, so here's a quick snap of my half-oldhammer Nippon Oni warband...

I'll have a few (better) individual shots soon for your perusal, but for now here's a rundown of the non-oldhammer minis:
Oni (big red ogre) is a Zenit Kensei mini- soon to be replaced with a Jes Goodwin ogre berserker hopefully
Amanojaku (red walking head with helmet on) is converted from various Rackham Confrontation bits
Namahage (blue ogre type fella dressed in straw) is sculpted by myself
Daruma Ningyo (red gourd with arms in the background) is another self sculpt
Kabukimono (dude with the white mask in the front row) is a Warlord Games mini with a malifaux head added

everything else is Citadel from between '83-'88 (I think)

symphonicpoet

Oh, sweet! I wouldn't touch that red ogre. Keep him. Maybe let the Goodwin join the band, but that guy is such a classic Japanese demonic type I'm ready to run for the crooked bridge in hopes of escaping him over water. Nice!!

Micha

Temple Dogs are not exactly a great sculpt, but you make it look interesting; great Detail on the Samurai, and the rest of the warband look like it´s out of Yokai War.

Back