40K 2nd edition enthusiast

Plaiecivile

For many years I have put aside W40K.
I learned to play under 2nd edition, as a matter of fact I sold my legos in a yard sale at the age of 11 so I could buy the box, filled with wonderful monopose plastic orks and marines. 
The problem is, as soon as 3rd edition was released I never got to play so much and did not like de fact combats rules had become so in line with Warhammer fantasy.

After a long night of catching up with an old friend and arch enemy of all my early gaming (I mean he had Wood elfs and Catachan, yurk! ;) ) I decided it was time for me to get out this old box of tyranids.
A lot of plastic on my table right now, and although I will be using very modern paints and technique, I will try to get in line with the old, very colorful pallets.

Oh and yes, for the first time in more than 20 years, my project will be all about green bases.
I would have never imagined I would google for tips on green basing :grin:

Comment and tips are welcome on that new color pattern, being partially color blind tends to step up the challenge of color balancing!

Suber

What he said! I love that little 'Gaunt, I think you really nailed the colour; it's vibrant and screams 'Tyranids'. Pretty good job!!

portman

Another early 40K fan here too - also just getting back into it.

That's a great looking figure - very nicely done!

May I ask what paints you used for it? I have 20 Genestealers to paint up for my copy of SH, and those are the sort of colours I fancy using.

Plaiecivile

Well for paints I have to admit the Citadel Paint app on my cell phone was my main color selection tool, and it worked great.

I started with the idea I wanted to have a regular troop paint scheme as simple as possible, 45 minutes per model max!

I searched through the colors, trying to find patterns that all had the same wash.

Here is the result for this little gaunt:

1.Undercoat white

2.Base layer
Skin: Screaming skull
Scales: Genestealer purple
Flesh: Bugman’s glow
Claws: Abaddon black

3.Complete wash with Druchii Violet

4.Layer
Skin: watered down Pallid Wych Flesh in 2 to 4 layers depending on the brightness I wanted

5.Drybrush
Scales: Hormagaunt purple
Flesh: Kislev flesh

Good luck!

portman

Plaiecivile":2j686ut3 said:
Well for paints I have to admit the Citadel Paint app on my cell phone was my main color selection tool, and it worked great.

I started with the idea I wanted to have a regular troop paint scheme as simple as possible, 45 minutes per model max!

I searched through the colors, trying to find patterns that all had the same wash.

Here is the result for this little gaunt:

1.Undercoat white

2.Base layer
Skin: Screaming skull
Scales: Genestealer purple
Flesh: Bugman’s glow
Claws: Abaddon black

4.Layer
Skin: watered down Pallid Wych Flesh in 2 to 4 layers depending on the brightness I wanted

5.Drybrush
Scales: Hormagaunt purple
Flesh: Kislev flesh

Good luck!

That's great - thanks so much for taking the time to post it!

Plaiecivile

My desk is under blankets, covered in plaster and saw dust...

Yet I was able to take some pictures before that house project, hope you enjoy.

More little guys, be warned the last one spotted you!
f9qdNCiJQonsFicGSk1uCRAPOJy6hesLTWF7b8dekwVD3TfrkQTksclaUm2bkSY6vBPev2rd_G2JIulydICfyMWsI4PUUw673ftS3zXJxMPp3eM3mq6dd0kzYgzFvxC2hrwCf1f-jw=w800

And a derivate of the original color pattern for the stealers to come. I cant wait to get back to my brushes.
pMJGULhlxs1VS5B_tXBfZCFuyAYFNwrPfNZcevYjLTL-9csIWSl5Rsm5ufEjnPhzKGUR1Ge9tZ1Q7NX6wAOF1JioX6fOtJQLnV-OYA9-t27Uopsyxoim0BPOnMuKSpmoGTvvEnWNRg=w600

kdt3lVcwhBiRdVFFz9fuo6LYQvT0qyN-0-LB7Q_pzNrLqURVeKdjg2pMJ0W9NVefzQYgvrunHFUruebwYv8QOoboRTFEEOoIjkYqHdrYTNr1AdN-SdC0hXOW-W9CCFA97XHcDCIpVA=w600

Plaiecivile

Ah! Holidays passed by so fast!
Tomorrow I will be back to work but gladly, I have managed to end my home improvements. That meens I am back to my brushes and I have interesting stuff for 2019!

OLj967QdbfTIB5v3Ay_IfIIxsLMMEib0_RKsBhyN2M2n0NI1K0sseMv56gA_7cNn0Awb5h9OI2jZOPbu4s5LXHGd7LkzNlKmzK4jVGweRt5YO2iZWWlcGpjOTBsvJX3tBB2FDkAU1A=w2400

E2abn3RoxvUCHDDzvWXC_8LFRc7zRav3yuiCILKymGCMN3NSZdbzDGAUaBEQBdsO0Sb4Wr9sZ5Xxv-TtfL7iZY5y7cEDtYsy_6V2JhAFCUH37ZRmPoCQgPx7cI9Q1qGZE7BoTUc99w=w2400

Plaiecivile

Tonight was the night my son have been waiting all summer break. I was finaly done assembling the miniatures he chose at the end of spring. Tyranids against orks we played, we agreed on the rules and 35 minutes later he won with only one bike left! Essentialy 1d20 actions per turn. 1 action consisted of moving 15cm, or shooting 40cm range autokill or 1 close combat attack autokill. Bosses had 5 points, vehicules and big creatures 3 points, all others only 1.

The funny part is that we played on the floor just as i used to do back in the days... And even funnier, he did a battle report to my wife as he went to bed! Lololol

Now back to the painting, this little man has many project for me ;)
sU8XRSdgmkYxPnyAYbpCZxTo-lswhx0Bbxg7f8PJaUiO_1ugY2NSWd5HIJpia5u0kA-390WdCs7hrrg5ws-2EgQIut2FuZevhiIB_ztzxl8WISfj4nG2QrX8xlcufSXdq4R45wCvnQ=w800

Plaiecivile

I am in over my head!
I have bought a second hand 3rd edition ork army for peanuts and all I can think of is cleaning and chopping up plastic :grin:

I have finally found a setup for my 40K stuff.
A bad moon clan operating a cacti based energy drink company, exporting that nearly toxic beverage via human/ork mercs. Of course, they will have to deal with the constant threat of being attacked by broods of tyranids sent in spores, drawn by the sugary smell of that cacti cocktail being smeared all over the galaxy.

So for now, I need to customize my transports in acceptable sizes, which would actually be used for cacti handling, and also to embark more than 2 orks.

E0S_3oMZH6L8I189PSjb7koSYad6Vf9frRm2Ntz9KEmpk1BVHYsz1n0mvZILNEvTqA5QZcXLCDYZa0KM2jxL6xV4fkhw--sDWgQZ2HAuE4jcEKF3f0PTpLslfH8Ua0ls5nlizz-kFQ=w800

Plaiecivile

Woofbird":7y8aazog said:
How did you paint the genestealer head? It has a great tainted meat look that would work well on demons.

Go back to first page, it is the color mix I identified as "flesh" on my termagaunts.

Woofbird

Plaiecivile":3jcd2u5n said:
Woofbird":3jcd2u5n said:
How did you paint the genestealer head? It has a great tainted meat look that would work well on demons.

Go back to first page, it is the color mix I identified as "flesh" on my termagaunts.

I saw that but the flesh looks completely different in that area. It looks more tan with red on the front where as the 'gaunts look purple with grey.Wonder if it's the camera making it look different.

Plaiecivile

Woofbird":37wk8pfj said:
Plaiecivile":37wk8pfj said:
Woofbird":37wk8pfj said:

I saw that but the flesh looks completely different in that area. It looks more tan with red on the front where as the 'gaunts look purple with grey.Wonder if it's the camera making it look different.

On the gaunt, the only "flesh" part is the tube in its claws, entering the gun, and the sides of the tail.
So yes, the genestealer head was painted:

1.Undercoat: white
2.Base layer: Bugman’s glow
4.Drybrush/thin layers: Kislev flesh

I hope you will show us what you intend to paint this way!

Back