Joe Dever Battles

I've been lurking in the Oldhammer shrubbery for a couple of years, but have finally got around to attempting to post on this august forum. My main interest lies in Prehammer figures, so anything post about 1983 tends to go into my new school armies, strange but true. After playing D and D for a couple of years in the early 80's I was bowled over by this tiny picture in White Dwarf 35 of a display put on by Joe Dever.... how I dreamed of fielding regiments of fantasy figures, then impossible on a budget of £5 a week from a paper round.
DEVER%2BWARS%2B%25281%2529.JPG

how I spent hours poring over this pic trying to ID the figures :ugeek:

35 years on I have attempted to duplicate it to the best of my ability
IMG_6677.JPG

IMG_6677.JPG

since I took these photos for my blog, I have managed to aquire some of the original figures in the picture, from the late Mr. Dever's estate, which I'll be posting at some stage.
Hope you like these, drop into my blog for more OLDhammer stuff http://broadswordsandbeasts.blogspot.com/
cheers

Fimm McCool":2d1wo99b said:
Looking good sir! Are we going to play this game soon? :)

That would be cool .... I need to work on the other JD pic from 1982 and combine the 2 in a single battlefield. Could do with some Oldhammer fun soon.
IMG_5773.JPG

Stormbringer":2d1wo99b said:
Very impressive! I love the dino-riders!

Thanks Stormbringer... they are Airfix dinos and the howdahs are made of chopped up Airfix castles, just like the originals. The crew are mainly Minifigs Hobgoblins....

Really enjoying looking at your blog, and looking forward to updates. I just last year had to take that castle in the latest photo to the charity shop as i could not move it to Berlin and also would have no space for it here. Great to see it again in the photo.

Pygmy Witch Doctor":2fff2yj9 said:
Really enjoying looking at your blog, and looking forward to updates. I just last year had to take that castle in the latest photo to the charity shop as i could not move it to Berlin and also would have no space for it here. Great to see it again in the photo.

Hi thanks PWD. Those castles are much more common in Germany of course, but I managed to find one over here. Hope to get it renovated soon.

Really nice recreation there. The dinosaurs are great.

What are those guys on the top of the castle? Dark elves? Are they still in production?

weismonsters":1m0pav0b said:
Really nice recreation there. The dinosaurs are great.

What are those guys on the top of the castle? Dark elves? Are they still in production?

Thanks Weismonsters, those are Minifigs Aureola Rococco High Elves, based on Rodney Matthews paintings. Not in production at the moment (except the Dragon Lords), but hopefully back soon. The very first Melnibonean figures.

http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=3&CategoryID=35&SubCategoryID=238

weismonsters":24z507fm said:
Thanks for the info Springinsfeld. :grin:

I've just re-read your question and thought "I wonder if he meant the castle on the dinosaur"...... if so those guys are Minifigs Hobgoblins from the D&D range. They look just like the picture in the Monster Manual.

Back